This is an unofficial list of top retailer complaints as based on feedback I’ve received from retailers over the past 10 years. Based on past experience with start-ups, here are the most common reasons a buyer will hesitate to pick up a product line from a new designer.
1. Bait and switch.
2. COD bait and switch.
3. Delivery: unauthorized substitutions.
4. Delivery: late shipping, mis-shipping orders or not shipping at all.
5. Customer complaints (items don’t endure or look awful after washing).
6. Can’t fill back-orders. Out of stock on key items.
7. Fail to communicate when they’ll ship.
8. Fail to communicate dropped styles.
9. Quality and consistency.
10 Fail to communicate the knowledge that retail staff needs to sell the products.
11 Variety and styling.
12 Return authorizations
13 Work hard to get the order, then after that, they don’t pay attention to anything.
14 Unfair terms for different accounts.
15 They don’t understand retail or they don’t care.
16 Lack of professionalism; for example, not knowing what a purchase order is.