FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How many manufacture children's products?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mollyodesigns

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: How many manufacture children's products? Reply with quote

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section, but I was just wondering how many of us on here produce children's clothing, accessories, bedding, etc. and what your plan is on Feb. 9th.

I design/manufacturer girl's clothing and accessories. I'm in the thick of this and praying for a miracle (i.e. an ammedment).

If the regulation stays as written, I will have to close my business on Feb. 10th. There is no way I can afford to pay for the testing on my current line. I already have part of my spring line in stock. Sad
Anne

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do children's, but I haven't manufactured anything yet. My first collection is for fall '09. I, too, am waiting for a more reasonable application of these rules, and am terrified about what will happen if they stay as-is. I can afford to test all my inputs for lead because I used a limited selection of fabrics this time around, but I'm not sure about how it will go with my sleepers. They don't contain any plastic (other than the zipper), but it's not clear yet exactly what parts of them will need to be phthalate-tested. I really feel for all of you who make more complex styles with lots of inputs, or who have inventory on-hand that may go to waste. I hope we all find relief soon! And I don't want to see the end of beautiful girls' dresses with lots of trimming (each of which would need to be tested...).
Lisa DOWNTOWN JOEY

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I launched in October w/ Spring/Summer '09. Even though I got orders, I don't know what to do:
-produce and deliver
or
-cancel

Although I can afford to test, it will eat away at my profits. And the profits then may not make it economically feasible to produce.

I am literally in limbo. In hindsight, I wish I would have waited another 6 months to launch. But I did and now I need to figure out whether I want to go forward or close.
mollyodesigns

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lisa DOWNTOWN JOEY wrote:
I launched in October w/ Spring/Summer '09. Even though I got orders, I don't know what to do:
-produce and deliver
or
-cancel

Although I can afford to test, it will eat away at my profits. And the profits then may not make it economically feasible to produce.

I am literally in limbo. In hindsight, I wish I would have waited another 6 months to launch. But I did and now I need to figure out whether I want to go forward or close.

Lisa, have you calculated what your testing costs would be? If they are now saying they are going to test according to sku (each size) plus each component (trim, button, fabric, etc) I would be up in the $60,000 - $70,000 range for my spring line. My business is doing well but not enough to justify paying that for one season :(

BTW, I'm dying to buy that black/white number shirt for my son!!! LOVE it! LOL.
mollyodesigns

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anne wrote:
I do children's, but I haven't manufactured anything yet. My first collection is for fall '09. I, too, am waiting for a more reasonable application of these rules, and am terrified about what will happen if they stay as-is. I can afford to test all my inputs for lead because I used a limited selection of fabrics this time around, but I'm not sure about how it will go with my sleepers. They don't contain any plastic (other than the zipper), but it's not clear yet exactly what parts of them will need to be phthalate-tested. I really feel for all of you who make more complex styles with lots of inputs, or who have inventory on-hand that may go to waste. I hope we all find relief soon! And I don't want to see the end of beautiful girls' dresses with lots of trimming (each of which would need to be tested...).

That is the category I fall into :(
Lisa DOWNTOWN JOEY

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Molly! And you know how I salivate over that turquoise silk number of yours. Just last week, I was showing my sister your creations! LOL!

Well, if it's per STYLE number, I'll probably manage. But if it's per SKU, I will probably throw in the towel. We'll see.
mollyodesigns

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Molly! And you know how I salivate over that turquoise silk number of yours. Just last week, I was showing my sister your creations! LOL!

Well, if it's per STYLE number, I'll probably manage. But if it's per SKU, I will probably throw in the towel. We'll see.

So worst case scenario if we have to fold is that we all trade clothing with each other. LOL. Just trying to find the bright side :)
Lisa DOWNTOWN JOEY

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Molly...sounds like a plan. And I have first dibs on the silk beauties. What size is your son? Crossing fingers he's the sample size...LOL
Pamela

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do girls clothing from 12M-10 so we fall right into this category. I'm a little freaked about it myself but I am going to be talking to a lady from Intertek today about the fabric testing. Honestly, I'm going to take one step at a time and not go completely crazy. I am going to get testing done on a knit cotton outfit and also a woven cotton outfit for both flammability and lead.

I did read that phthalates testing will not apply to clothing

http://www.strtrade.com/wti/wti.asp?pub=0&story=29759&date=12%2F3%2F2008&company=

Pam
mollyodesigns

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Molly...sounds like a plan. And I have first dibs on the silk beauties. What size is your son? Crossing fingers he's the sample size...LOL

He is about a size 6. And I have several boxes full of those silk dresses :( So take your pick. LOL.
Pamela

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

I just talked to Meghan Martin with Intertek which is a certified testing lab for CPSC. They have been doing seminars in various cities over the past few weeks so she knew what I was talking about when I said there is a flurry of activity going on about this new ruling.

When I asked about testing each SKU she said yes, that is what is being talked about but also the ruling does say "reasonable testing program".

I am going to start with just testing basic styles and fabrics and at least getting this done which would fall under a reasonable testing program. She told me for children's garments that are not sleepwear all we are required to test for is flammability and lead.

Pam
mollyodesigns

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pamela wrote:
Update:

I just talked to Meghan Martin with Intertek which is a certified testing lab for CPSC. They have been doing seminars in various cities over the past few weeks so she knew what I was talking about when I said there is a flurry of activity going on about this new ruling.

When I asked about testing each SKU she said yes, that is what is being talked about but also the ruling does say "reasonable testing program".

I am going to start with just testing basic styles and fabrics and at least getting this done which would fall under a reasonable testing program. She told me for children's garments that are not sleepwear all we are required to test for is flammability and lead.

Pam

Great info Pam. Thanks! Is there a way to find out if one of their seminars will be near me? I would love to go.
DarbyC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone. Well, a few of you may remember that I decided to step back and reassess my business plan about two months ago, when the economy really started taking a nose dive. (BTW, I do/did tween swmwear). But with this CPSIA stuff, I'm feeling more and more like I won't be able to make it. I'm a worrier (you can see my heart leaping out of my chest at my DD's gymnastics competition), tending to focus on the consequences of "what if", so regs like these are enough to send me over the edge.
Pamela

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the thing to do is not worry and freak out. Here are some prices I just received from Intertek:

Flammability of general wearing apparel 16 CFR 1610: $100.00
CPSIA Total Lead in Substrates: $70.00 per material
16 CFR 1303 Total Lead in Surface Coatings: $70.00 per color/surface coating

For the Intertek Power Lunches they are having 2 more, in Dallas and Atlanta.

http://www.intertek-labtest.com/resources/events/intertek_power_lunch/?lang=en

Pam
Lisa DOWNTOWN JOEY

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

according to those quotes, for one of my button down shirts, it would be over $500 per style. Umm...I have 8 different button down shirts, 5 pants, 4 tshirts w/16 different graphics, 2 hats, and 3 jackets. At a minimum, I'm looking at $11,000 per season. 2 seasons = $22,000 a year. Lovely.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: