The Entrepreneur’s Guide to Sewn Product Manufacturing is often described as the garment industry “blue book”. The most highly rated book in the business is guaranteed to get you off to a solid start or your money back. Many service providers require you read this before they’ll work with you. This book has over 50 five star reviews on Amazon. See what people like you are saying.
Buying a copy qualifies you to be considered for membership in our private forum (the $45 annual fee is waived the first year if you buy a new copy). With over 1500 members, the forum is easily the most active part of the Fashion-Incubator website. There, in a relaxed confidential environment, you can rub elbows with experienced professionals comprising the gamut of the garment industry for sewing contractor referrals and to locate hard to find fabrics in small quantities. Here’s how to join.
Description: The book is 8.5″ x 11″, 240 pages softcover. So what does 240 pages mean when publishers use wide margins, large fonts, deep headings and generous line spacing to beef up their page count? This book does none of those things. As much information as was possible is packed on each page. Although tidy, the margins aren’t generous, headings are scant and the text is set in two columns per page, maximizing the per page word count. In other words, there’s no filler here.
View Table of Contents with links to free chapters.
The cost is $60 USD and is available on Amazon, via Paypal (or use the link in the right side bar) or by calling 505-877-1713 MST with a Visa or Mastercard. You can also mail payment to my address below. Please include $7 for domestic Priority Mail shipping, $3.99 for economy media mail, $22 for Canadian orders or $26 for all other foreign orders to ship Global Priority Mail. If you’re on the East Coast, priority mail shipping is strongly recommended; otherwise it can take 21 days for your parcel to arrive.
I’m available to make patterns or consult with you. You can also plan a visit to see my factory in order to better understand what you need (if you go that route) or to see what a competent contractor and or patternmaker should have.
I specialize in pattern making for complex sewn products and men’s and women’s lined garments -what’s described as “single needle” meaning products that require the highest level of sewing operator skills- with specific emphasis on leather products and outerwear. My rates are reasonable at $75 per hour. If you have patterns already made, I provide digitizing, grading and marking services. I’m also available for pattern checking services which I enjoy. I use StyleCAD software, have a 4′ x 6′ digitizing table and a 72″ Ioline plotter to print markers. Recently, we’ve added sewing and cutting services.
Consulting and Instruction:
I’m available for phone consultation at $195 per hour ($150 an hour if you have my book), minimum half hour for an initial consultation and billed in quarter hour segments after that. I enjoy conducting product reviews; other firms charge thousands of dollars for these but in my opinion, few take over three hours. I am available to travel to provide consulting or training to your staff on site with a two day minimum.
Another service I provide is rapid product development -which means you come in and we’ll work on the product start to finish. I make the pattern in CAD (starting with digitizing the pattern if there is one), we cut it, sew it, fit it and rinse, lather and repeat for any needed correction in my 5,000 sqft factory. Ideally, the customer is ready to be introduced to my local contractors to nail down requirements for a production quote the next day -if we don’t do the sewing ourselves. Daily rate is $1500 per day for the first person, $750 for each subsequent person with discounts for 3 or more.
Training for starting and operating a sewing factory is available at our Sewing Factory School in Albuquerque New Mexico. We can comfortably accommodate a maximum of 15 people in our factory training facility. The program fee is $1500 per day with discounts for subsequent attendees from the same company. For those staying two days or more, I provide comfortable and private accommodations in my guest house with breakfast and lunch (vegetarian). My guest house has a bedroom (queen size bed), living room (queen size futon), full kitchen and a bath with shower (stocked with towels, shampoo, soap etc). Transportation to and from the airport is likely but not guaranteed depending on arrival and departure times.
One class I think every designer or product developer needs is Production Pattern Making. You will need some tools and basic sewing skills but no pattern making skills are needed to successfully complete this day long class.
Here is a list of equipment and amenities of my sewing factory:
Facilities and equipment
- 5000 sq ft building
- 3 dedicated sewing lines served with feed rail
- cutting room; 2 -50′ tables
- WI-FI wireless network
- 800 sqft guest house for visiting clients
- StyleCAD pattern, grading & marking software
- 4′ X 6′ Accugrid digitizing table
- 72″ Ioline pen plotter
- Dual monitor PC workstation
- Synology file server for redundant back up
- Cloud back up
All machines are set on T-Leg caster tables for greatest flexibility in sewing line set up, and upgraded to servo motor technology, reducing energy needs by 75%.
- Single needle Adler 271 servo
- 3 -Single needle Adlers 281 servo
- Single needle Consew 18, upgraded to servo
- Zig-Zag, Consew 175 upgraded to servo
- Flatlock Merrow Activeseam MB-4DFO servo
- Needle feed, Juki DLN-9010SH servo
- Coverstitch 5 thread Kansai WX-8803D servo
- Buttonhole/Bar tack Siruba BH790 servo
- 2- Walking foot Juki DNU-1541S servo
- Overlock, 5 thread safety stitch, Reliable MSK-3316N servo
- Overlock, 3 thread Singer, upgraded to servo
- Blind hemmer Consew 817, upgraded to servo
- Single needle Mitsubishi DB-170, upgraded to servo
- Reece welt pocket machine, model 42
- Singer pinch tuck machine, upgraded to servo
- Singer E-stitch (applique) machine, upgraded to servo
- Soabar 275 shade marking system
- 2-48 foot, 72″ wide Philocraft table w/rails
- Eastman Blue Streak 8″ cutting knife
- Eastman Cloth Drill
- Eastman Thread Marker (type L)
- Over 200 feet of feedrail
- 2-68″ spreaders
- 1.5 liter Boiler Iron (Reliable)
- Blower & vacuum extraction pressing station
- Sussman gravity feed iron
- Hot Steam, gravity feed iron
- button covering machine
- nail head and snap setting kick press
- belt and tie turner (production, manual)
- washer & dryer
- Alvanon full body form (curvy -UK size 12), 2006
- Alvanon squishy form, US size 10, 2012
- Alvanon size 6 child’s full body form, ASTM 2007
- Alvanon size 46 men’s full body form, ASTM 2005
- Alvanon size 20W lady’s full body form, custom 2005
Apparel Technical Svcs
The Sewing Factory School
410 Old Coors Dr. SW
Albuquerque NM 87121
T: 505-877-1713 C:575-635-8131