FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How many manufacture children's products?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety
View previous topic :: View next topic  
heartlanddreams

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty small time. I make cloth diapers. My batches are usually 5-10 of a kind, but different sizes. No way, no how can I afford the testing this law would require. As of Feb 10, if nothing changes, I'm done.

Tina
Kiki allthenumbers

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make children's clothing 6 months - size 6. If the law is not ammended I will not be able to continue.
Deb Stahl

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tie dye EVERYTHING from onesies and diaper cloths to clothes for adults and everything in between. My batches are batches of ONE.

I'm trying very hard not to do so much *headdesking* since it makes my forehead hurt. Confused Rolling Eyes

My dye supplier says there's no lead in the dyes and paints they sell, and the dyes I use are fiber-reactive, meaning they chemically bond to the fiber and won't leach out (the way RIT dye does). But I can't imagine having EACH thing I dye tested in this manner. I can hold off using fabric paint, but this kind of testing won't work out for my itty-bitty hobby biz.
annika

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deb Stahl wrote:

My dye supplier says there's no lead in the dyes and paints they sell, and the dyes I use are fiber-reactive, meaning they chemically bond to the fiber and won't leach out (the way RIT dye does). But I can't imagine having EACH thing I dye tested in this manner. I can hold off using fabric paint, but this kind of testing won't work out for my itty-bitty hobby biz.

Hopefully amendments will be forthcoming that address issues such as these--fiber-reactive dyes that have no heavy metals and cannot leach should not have to be tested, yk?
lisa versaci

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miracle wrote:
Quote:
Which legistlators came up with this legislation? sheesh!

Answer:
Washington lawyers making money for their lawyer friends.
Toni

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make toys from fabric and polystuffing. I also make quilts from cotton ingredients. I will be an outlaw or someone who gives everything away.
lisa versaci

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always BARTER!
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt it Lisa, this goes against the intent of the law so I wouldn't put it to a challenge if it's not specifically prohibited. If you're not even allowed to give hazardous products away, why could you exchange in kind goods and services? It's still a value transaction. Like I keep saying, it serves no purpose to splinter looking for narrow definitions and exceptions. We need BROAD exclusions.
lisa versaci

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Kathleen- it was just a thought.
If it's contraband - it's out!
mollyodesigns

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does that mean I can't even give away my clothing as birthday presents to all my kid's friends? Ahhh! Can't we catch a break here? LOL.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am Trevor, of KraftyMommas Boutique. I make many different types of childrens clothing, most include some form of applique.
I also own a Boutique which showcases 13 Handmade Designers lines.
The way this legistation is written, not only my clothing line business will be shut down, but also my Boutique. And I have worked long and hard at making this a successful venture.

IMHO, the people who wrote this, were only thinking in the best intentions of consumers and child safety. I believe the wording is what is making us all crazy..... and scared out of our minds.
However, if *they* were to sit down and re-read the wording, I am sure the flaws would be noticeable.
Little tweeks... here and there.
And then, maybe, just maybe, *they* would realize that WE, the designers of children's clothing and accessories, are not at fault, and we should not be the ones to pay the piper for improper materials used in creating children's boutique.
As a consumer (and seamstress) I stroll into Hobby Lobby and JoAnnes Fabrics and purchase a yard or two of a few fabrics, some elastic and a package of Heat-N-Bond. I never think twice that any of these items could be harming children. Heck, I make quilts and blankets for my family and friends. Am I harming them?
My question is this? Isn't the fabric I buy ALREADY tested and safe?? Aren't Textile Mills responsible for making their product safe for me to use?
I realize that many clothing designers are lured into the pull of bling, or Swar. Crystals. Heck, I am. But I KNOW they contain lead and do not use them. I know most children's designers also know this and do not use them either. Not even in jewelry.
((Starting to ramble, sorry))
I guess my point is, maybe WE (the manufacterers) should not be sucking up the cost of second and third testing. I think the mills making the components we use should be the ones to pay for testing. Test the fabric Test the lace. Test the ribbon. Test the iron ons.
If there is too much lead in them, do not sell in the US.
As a Mom, I hold my children tight. They touch my shirts, the fabrics, the buttons. Nursing babies practically LIVE in our clothing!!! Are they getting contaminated from US??
((Off the pedestal))
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor wrote:
I guess my point is, maybe WE (the manufacterers) should not be sucking up the cost of second and third testing. I think the mills making the components we use should be the ones to pay for testing. Test the fabric Test the lace. Test the ribbon. Test the iron ons.

Hey Trevor, welcome!
Please try to read some of the entries on the front page of the site. I keep saying this over and over so please pass the word along but mills etc DO test their products. The problem is, we aren't allowed to use the results. That's the thing. So, it's the rules at fault here, not the mills. If you were buying wholesale rather than at the fabric store, you would have access to certs, not that it'll do any good with the rules as they stand. Anyway, welcome to the war room.
KraftyMommas

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Kathleen. Thank you.

I am so glad I came to this forum. Everyone here is professional,informed and extremely helpful.
I have been to other forums and found them a bit too much like children talking poorly about their parents and making up ways to get back at them.

Thanks again. I am reading up anything I can get my hands on. I want, no NEED to learn what is happening, not only for me, but my designers and my customers. I have to be informed. ((not sticking my head in the sand in the hopes it will all go away))

If there is anything I can do, tell me.
I have written to:
all 3 TX legislatures
Oprah
the girls on The View
Martha Stewart
local Channel 13 (ABC)

Spoken to a rep from John Cornyn's office

:0) Trevor
Pamela

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KraftyMommas wrote:
If there is anything I can do, tell me.
I have written to:
all 3 TX legislatures
Oprah
the girls on The View
Martha Stewart
local Channel 13 (ABC)

:0) Trevor

OHH, I like writing to Martha Stewart!

Pam
KraftyMommas

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll bet, even if I do not get an email back, Martha Stewart will sniff things out and be a champion on this. Heck, she is the Queen of Craft and Handmade. She has challenged millions of Mom's nursing their newborns to make something out of nothing and utilize their resources.
I am sure we will hear from her. Soon.
She just needs to be informed.

Her email addy is: askmartha@marthastweart.com

Ya never know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: