FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CPSIA: Handcraftivist channel on YouTube

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety
View previous topic :: View next topic  
handcraftivist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:56 am    Post subject: CPSIA: Handcraftivist channel on YouTube Reply with quote

NOTE: I first put this in the ONLINE thread, but thought maybe I should do this so you all would see it. Maybe it belongs in the MEDIA thread. Whatever you all think and if you need to delete the post in ONLINE....

Hello.
First, I want to let you know that I am not a member of the fashion-incubator, but I have a friend who helps support her family by making and selling hairbows on eBay. She directed me to your message board. This friend first alerted me to the potential far-reaching effects of the CPSIA 2008 just this past week. Like many, I had not been aware of the details of the legislation nor its potential harm to handcrafters.

I have a lot of artists and handcrafters in my family. I loved making things by hand in my growing up years. Now, my crafting is more in the media and video field.

I am an activist at heart. The endeavor closest to my heart is the development of The Last Show ~2007-2008~, a MySpace page promoting drunk driving awareness and showingcasing the devastating toll on those who are left behind when their loved ones are taken.

http://www.myspace.com/ncproud The Last Show ~2007-2008~
Dedicated to Casey Bokhoven 1980-2007

I have YouTube channels that support the page-
http://www.youtube.com/ncproud
http://www.youtube.com/ncproud2

I hope this gives you an idea of who I am.
I set up a YouTube page under the name "handcraftivist" yesterday.
http://www.youtube.com/handcraftivist

I believe in art, entrepeneurship and the American dream of making your own destiny by the creativity of your own heart and hands.

It is my hope that I can gather a substantial number of videos to support the endeavor to tell the story of handcrafters who will be affected by the CPSIA 2008 as it is now written.

YouTube is a tremendous vehicle and voice. News networks now routinely comb YouTube for material and even use videos on national newscasts.

I would appreciate your help in directing me to any videos you see on this issue. I am especially looking for news stories produced by local affiliates directly about the affect CPSIA 2008 will have come February 10, 2009.

So far, I have only come across only one story by WWMT News 3 in Kalamazoo, Michigan and unfortunately, it is saying the video is currently unavailable. I have only been able to read the transcript.

http://www.wwmt.com/articles/small_1356765___article.html/county_economy.html

If they are the only news outlet who have addressed this situation thus far, my hats go off to them. I spent yesterday calling my local affiliates around Winston-Salem, North Carolina and there may be some interest, but nothing too promising yet.

I am planning on posting a comment on the above page to encourage WWMT that they are on the right track. I hope the video will be available soon so it can be used to point out to others that this is a story worth covering.

I would appreciate any leads on ANY news organizations or national shows who even make a brief mention about the potential unintended affect of CPSIA 2008 in putting a vibrant part of the American economy out of business. I read that many of you have contacted folks like Greta von Susteren, the Today Show, etc. and I think that is wonderful. ANYTHING. Please let me know and I may be able to find the video.

I would also like to find as many videos about handcrafters themselves who make items, toys or garments for children ages 12 and under. I have accessed the videos produced by etsy.com and they are amazing! Unfortunately, they don't seem to have but one or two featuring handcrafters whose goods will be affected by the CPSIA's "under 12" guidelines.

The open letter on etsy.com is well-written and I wish there was a way to put it in video form and on YouTube.

Also, if you know of a handcrafter who wants to make a video of herself showing what she makes and/or possibly talking to a webcam about how the CPSIA is going to affect her business, I would be happy to put the video on YouTube/handcraftivist. Or if the person uploads to his/her own YouTube channel, I can link to it through the YouTube/handcraftivist video log, favorites or playlists.

Please email me at the email address below with any leads-
handcraftivist@yahoo.com

Thanks so much. Hopefully, we can all make some noise and get this story into the press.

Karen
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Karen
I can't speak for anyone else regarding videos but Rob at CPSIA Central is trying to get individuals to make videos. I'd suggest coordinating with him since you obviously have some resources. Glad you stopped by!
handcraftivist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Handcraftivist channel on YouTube Reply with quote

Kathleen F. wrote:
Hi Karen
I can't speak for anyone else regarding videos but Rob at CPSIA Central is trying to get individuals to make videos. I'd suggest coordinating with him since you obviously have some resources. Glad you stopped by!

Thanks Kathleen. I am going to contact Rob. Together, we can bring this to the forefront.
handcraftivist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:08 am    Post subject: FINALLY! WWMT video interview with "Wet Bags" entr Reply with quote

FINALLY- a video report from WWMT in Kalamazoo Michigan!

Posted to YouTube/handcraftivist here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjwNu7w2BSQ

Stay at home mom Jamie Bird of Grand Rapids, Michigan has found success and an income hand sewing her popular "wet bags." But, will the cost of lead testing her products per CPSIA 2008 regulations force the entrepreneur out of business come February 10, 2009?

Thank you WWMT of Kalamazoo, Michigan for being one of, if not the first TV station to report on this developing concern!

Please register at the WWMT website and comment-

http://www.wwmt.com/articles/small_13...

From a broadcast on WWMT, December 11, 2008

Copyright WWMT Newschannel 3
All rights reserved

Please let me know if you find any videos or audio on CPSIA- local affiliate reporting on the situation and/or homemade vids

Thank you.
handcraftivist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:23 am    Post subject: Email address to contact me about video/audio leads Reply with quote

Please email me at

handcraftivist@yahoo.com

if you know of any video/audio about CPSIA and the affect it will have on handcrafters and small businesses who sell items for children.

Thank you! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: