I’ve mentioned the JCReport before. Much of it is over my head being uber-fashioney but their RSS of favored fashion feeds had some juicy ones in the latest newsletter. Interestingly enough, you can RSS to their RSS. I hadn’t thought of trying to do that before. Highlights:
- China’s not the only one using prison labor, so is one Philippine designer. The video puts a different face on the benefits -to both sides- of using what most consider to be unpalatable labor sources. Not to be outdone, German inmates are producing their own line and selling it in their own store. Video.
- Sewing machines are back in fashion. One source in the UK says Singer’s sales were up 50% between 2006-2007. Another retailer says their machine sales are up 258%. Wow.
- I think the recent spate of fashion criticisms directed at women belonging to the polygamist sect in Texas to be distasteful. I’m not defending their religious practices but I think it’s the height of tackiness to level superficial criticisms during what must be the most stressful event of their collective lives.
- Following Spain’s lead, the French fashion industry signs anti-anorexia charter. It should be noted that not everyone agrees that there’s an increase of anorexia nervosa, merely that there’s been an increase in identifying and diagnosing it. What is increasing, is public anxiety about it. I’d argue it’s a predictable and expected equal and opposite reaction to the increase of obesity in industrialized nations. Many more die of obesity or related illnesses than anorexia.
- Hello Kitty has gotten a high fashion makeover.
- Due to my recent jeans entry, I had to click on Are you a super wedgie or a fashion flattie? but it was referring to shoes, not jeans.
- Supposedly dresses are out and pants are in. Do you pay attention to any of this?