FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone else frustrated?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety
View previous topic :: View next topic  
heartlanddreams

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Kathleen! I am referencing your post and Jennifer's blog everywhere I go that wahm's congregate.

Do you happen to know if an Oko-Tex certificate (I have seen that word spelled so many different ways I have no idea if I have it right or not), would be sufficient to produce a general conformity certificate?

I do not know the specifics of what Oko-Tex certifies, so not sure if it is below the 600ppm lead limit or not. And also don't know if it addresses phthalates at all.

Thank you for all the wonderful information here!

Tina
Frani

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was confused yesterday reading the post and you guys going after dd for making the same statement Kathleen made in her post today. I had put my hope on xrf and I am glad to see I am not completely lost. Xrf is reasonable and if some of us get together in our tiny businesses to test, it should be the most cost effective way to show our products are lead free. It will buy us some time and I am glad dd brought it up. Maybe we should apologize to dd. Thanks Jennifer for clarifying in a very articulate easy to follow manner. javascript:emoticon('Laughing')
Vesta

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is dd around? If so, please PM me.
Miracle
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vesta wrote:
Is dd around? If so, please PM me.

Hey Vesta, Kathleen said non-members can't PM
Vesta

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez, did I mention I was up half the night? Sorry.

dd, please *email* me. Thanks.
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think they can email either. I'd have to log out to know for sure and I can't right now. dd can click through to your site tho and see your profile.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heartlanddreams wrote:

I do not know the specifics of what Oko-Tex certifies, so not sure if it is below the 600ppm lead limit or not. And also don't know if it addresses phthalates at all.

Here is the "limit values" chart from the Oeko-Tex 100 site:
http://www.oeko-tex.com/OekoTex100_PUBLIC/content1.asp?area=hauptmenue&site=grenzwerte&cls=02

Says Lead tested to 0.2 ppm for baby articles and also apparently tests for some phthalates. Unsure of how to convert that, though.
Jennifer Taggart

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject: XRF Testing Reply with quote

Sorry if I already said this - I've been up 2 nights in a row with a daughter with croup & had to turn in final manuscript for book to publisher (at 3:30 a.m. 12/10). And don't shoot me if this isn't allowed. I don't know what others charge - I charge by mail $5 per test item for the XRF analyzer, or $100 per hour in person. I'm happy to talk with anybody about a quote. I have a Niton XRF.

Jennifer
www.thesmartmama.com
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allowed and thanks very much. With that fee schedule, you're obviously not in it for the money.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for that Jennifer. I've had a couple people ask me for your contact info. I'm working on contigency plans and think I've come up with something that will work at least until Aug, and may be using your services.

I think I've read somewhere (maybe 2 somewheres) that thread is not considered an issue in the testing requirements (so if you change thread lots it doesn't require new testing). Does anyone know if this is true? What about if thread color changes?
Shelagh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the offer, Jennifer. I may be in touch.

I personally know seven small manufacturers (all with under 10 employees) who have decided to throw in the towel or eliminate children's products from their lines entirely. The market is so fragile economically that many aren't able to justify any incremental spending, particularly when there is an air of uncertainty regarding what is/is not acceptable and what the future holds.

I've already started taking baby products off of my website, and will close for winter break to asses how I'll react. Perhaps doing time in law school makes me more a bit more paranoid about compliance than some, but I'm not willing to put myself or my family at risk.

None of the specialty boutiques who carry my products were aware of this. I have alerted them to the law, sent them links to Kathleen's posts...but the lack of awareness or media attention is surprising.

The irony is that most smaller domestic manufacturers cater to consumers and retailers seeking an alternative to imports made in sweatshops ~ yet our government is putting many of us out of business with this law.
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
I think I've read somewhere (maybe 2 somewheres) that thread is not considered an issue in the testing requirements (so if you change thread lots it doesn't require new testing). Does anyone know if this is true? What about if thread color changes?

Let's put it this way. I would be *extremely* surprised if thread were exempt. Better to be conservative and just say it's not.

This is why, at the DC meeting, the topic of a garment being recalled for flammability came up. The garment failed not because of fabric but because of thread. So, why would thread not be exempt from flammability but it would be for lead?
heartlanddreams

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Thanks Kathleen. Also, I am not looking for ways around the law, but simply a way I can stay in business past Feb, hoping something changes before Aug. If it doesn't, I'd be done then anyway.

Tina
(that guest about the thread was from me, I forgot to put in my username)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I have a question.
Flammability.
Do all childrens products (made of fabric) need to be flame retardant too? I thought that was only for sleepwear....
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heartlanddreams wrote:
Ok. Thanks Kathleen. Also, I am not looking for ways around the law, but simply a way I can stay in business past Feb, hoping something changes before Aug. If it doesn't, I'd be done then anyway.

see yesterday's blog entry, there may be a way to stay in until august if you don't have major retail accounts.

Quote:
Do all childrens products (made of fabric) need to be flame retardant too?

no
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: