FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ACTIVISM: Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Esther

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heard back from John R. Lott - Foxnews pundit and economist. He wasn't too much interested. I'll probably look at what other Foxnews people I can target. I am still trying to craft the right approach. PR is not my thing.

I don't know if this would be helpful. I was thinking of going through all of the recalls for the last year to date and seeing how many children were reported harmed. While no one wants to see children harmed, I am guessing the percentage is pretty low.
J C Sprowls

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also considering a local effort with the local CMT shops and service providers with a letter to the CO State Attorney General's office.
Valerie Burner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esther, great idea about contacting news people. I was disappointed in the WSJ article. It just sounded very, "Oh, so what about those big business people." Very dispassionate... I am trying to think of a way to make this thing sound like we are trying to drill for oil on Mt. Rushmore with millions of spotted owls and loggerhead turtles inhabiting it...

I did research the past several years of recalls. The only one I found that had a specific case cited was a child that swallowed a button that had lead in it... The others were mainly toys that had been found to have lead in them- things like painted trains... That was only one website, though...

Kathleen, do you want these letters sent to you at your home? I am trying to think of a good cover letter that will pertain to the adult sector in my little town, as well as those in the children's and the ASDP, along with anyone else I can think of... I am going to provide people with the letter from Jody, as well as a stamped envelope, making it foolproof for them... We need to get these to you before the 1st, correct?
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This today from the SME brief:

Quote:
Toys With Banned Chemical Can Be Sold After Law Takes Effect.

In continuing coverage from yesterday's story in the Washington Post about the phthalate ban, USA Today (11/20, Szabo) reports, "Stores may continue selling plastic toys made with hormone-like chemicals next year, even after a law that was supposed to ban them takes effect" Feb. 10, "according to a legal decision from the federal agency that oversees consumer safety." The Consumer Product Safety Commission is saying "that the phthalate ban doesn't necessarily apply to toys made before Feb. 10. In a letter written Monday, the commission's general counsel says the law lacks a 'clear statement of unambiguous intent.'" According to the letter, "retailers and manufacturers may sell off their existing inventory of dolls, sippy cups and other children's products. ... Neither stores nor toymakers are obligated to label which products meet the new standards and which don't." Meanwhile, "some supporters of the legislation say the agency is undermining the goal of a law meant to protect their children." Rep. Janice Schakowsky (D-IL) accused the commission of "willfully ignoring the Congressional intent, which is to protect children from toxic chemicals."

Stores, Toymakers Lobby For Less Stringent Lead-Safety Rule.
In a St. Petersburg (FL) Times (11/19) blog Sherry Robinson wrote, "Several high-profile toy recalls in 2007, including those from Fisher-Price and Mattel, led Congress this year to require manufacturers to meet higher standards to screen out lead. Retailers will be forced to stop selling any inventory that doesn't meet those standards starting Feb. 10. Each violation risks a $10,000 fine." However, "with the downturn in the economy, toymakers and retailers are now asking lawmakers to relax those rules." For instance, one retailer said that he has written the Consumer Product Safety Commission and congressional staffers to ask for more time to sell-off older inventory."

I suppose we can target Rep. Janice Schakowsky to express our ire.
Valerie Burner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kathleen, while it is nice that it seems more relaxed, that Rep may be a very hard sell. They really don't seem to care about the little guy.

No one wants children to be harmed by anything, whether intentionally or unintentionally. While phthalaltes are indeed not substances to which children should be exposed, (because of the hormone-producing effects), the other thing that no one seems to think about is that the soy formulas that kids ingest can have hormone producing abilities equal to one-two birth control pills per day. I know I'm getting off the track here, but I feel that no matter what happens, the little guy is the one being targeted...
lisa versaci

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ester - My husband spoke to Bob Flood the VP of integrated marketing at Fox News and Fox Business. He said he'll get back to us later today or tomorrow.

Kathleen - would you be willing to have a phone conversation with a reporter @ Fox should it come to that?

At least we got a bug in their ear about it.
Esther

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started my survey of recalls. To be meaningful it would need to be for the last several years, which will be very time consuming. I went through Jan-Mar of 2008. Very interesting data, though. All of the lead recalls were voluntary, no reports of injuries, and most were products from China. There was one fine of $1,000,000 given to Reebok for a lead contaminated necklace that resulted in the death of a four year old, most likely from choking and not lead (the CPSC doesn't say).

There were far more injuries from unsafe toys and equipment failures. The unsafe toys were due to lacerations and catching fire.
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lisa versa wrote:
Kathleen - would you be willing to have a phone conversation with a reporter @ Fox should it come to that?

Absolutely. Have them call 575-525-1577 or my cell is 575-635-8131.

I was on the phone much of this morning with the AAFA. It would appear that some of our comments on various blogs and articles are landing in search filters. They say to keep it up! I hope to have some important announcements by tomorrow.

In the meantime, the AAFA has recommended that everyone sign up for up to the minute updates on CPSIA, at the listserve.

Esther wrote:
I started my survey of recalls. To be meaningful it would need to be for the last several years, which will be very time consuming.

Hold off on this Esther, I can save you some time. The AAFA sent me a list of recalls from their database going back to 1974.

Another potential pressure point. We all need to ask our suppliers about it, they may not know. They need to know they will also be out of business. I'm reading emails from various suppliers featuring specials...and if they're hurting, well this is only the beginning. We need them to advocate too.
SarahM

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I said "lobbyist/grassroots coalition," I mean 'do any of the said organizations have a lobbyist on staff or at a firm'. Lobbying firms/public relations firms also have functions that coordinate "grassroots efforts".

Last edited by SarahM on Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again Sarah, yes. These groups do have lobbying efforts. That's why I joined the AAFA. However, F-I (and those to whom we can extend influence) is the grassroots. Believe me, I'm coordinating on this end as best I can but yes, anything you can do is much appreciated. Stayed tuned.
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Announcement:
Out of apparent necessity, I've created a new subheading "Legal". This is now in the CPSIA folder under that.
Jody

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,
I'm sorry I've absent...been fighting a viral infection. I am still planning to rework the letter I posted a few days back. I'm just waiting until tomorrow. I wanted to give everyone until then to get their comments in. So, if any of you haven't taken the time to read it, please do and let me know if you have any concerns, comments, suggestions, etc.

I will waste no time in editing it on Saturday...have blocked out several hours of my morning for the task. I will repost on Saturday evening. At that point, the letter will be ready to post on blogs, post on iPetition.com and to copy, print and send to CPSC, Congressional representatives and news media at your discretion.

I want to take a minute to thank Kathleen for all her help in giving us the means to organize, facilitating our efforts, providing financial support by joining a very expensive professional association in the hopes that it might gain us some leverage and help us stay on top of information coming out of CPSC, and also for just giving us some much needed moral support. I for one, really needed the article she wrote on feeling overwhelmed. We owe her much. I also want to thank Kathleen for bringing Jennifer into the conversation. Her input is extremely valuable.

Jennfier recommended we act now by sending a comment regarding possible exemption to the lead testing rule. My letter will be ready by the end of the day on Saturday. Please be prepared to act on it. I think if we all send the letter I drafted or some variation of it to CPSC and send it to all of our colleagues outside this forum encouraging them to do the same, we will get the attention of the CPSC.

We also need to send the letter to our Congressional representatives. Someone (I can't rmember who, but thank you!)posted on this forum a long list of all the members of Congress that voted for this thing, their state, and whether they voted yes (y) or no (n). Every single one of them that voted for this thing needs to hear about the mess they've created for their constituents...we live in every state. We can send the letter as is when I'm done with it.

We should also send the letter for the ones that voted against it and congratulate them. We should also ask for them to use their influence with the CPSC to ensure that children's apparel is exempted from these rules (there is, after all, precedent for it).
I will draft a blurb to add to your letter if your representative was one of the few that voted no.

I take care of the iPetition thing on Saturday, too. I'll log on again tomorrow evening to collect any remaining suggestions regarding the letter.

The final version of the letter will be posted on Satruday evening. As Jennifer said, CPSC is soliciting comments for the lead testing requirement. We'll need to act quickly if we're going to get our voices heard.

Anyway,
Miracle
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kathleen,

I know you subscribe to HARO, as a bunch of us do, have you considered asking Peter Shankman for some kind of consideration to get the word out there on a grassroots level? The number of media outlets and PR firms reading HARO is astounding.
Jennifer Taggart

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esther - The recall for the charm with a Reebok shoe (it was on a bracelet that was a gift with purchase) was for lead. The child died because of lead poisoning, not choking. The charm was 95% lead.

CPSC's recalls are virtually always voluntary. That is how the recall process is done. Most companies agree to voluntarily recall items to avoid bad press.
Esther

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The charm was 95% lead.

Thanks for clearing that up!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: