FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best practice following up on old forum topics?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> Public: Forum Management
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keith Neufeld
Renewing Member
Renewing Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject: Best practice following up on old forum topics? Reply with quote

I'm curious whether the forum community -- and especially Kathleen -- has a preference between adding a new on-topic post to a forum topic that hasn't had any new posts for several years versus starting a new forum topic that references the old one.

As I've searched the forum for a few things, I've come across old threads of interest, with posts by people I know are not only still registered but also still active, indicating that they'll try something -- and then the thread ends and we don't hear how it turned out. I can PM / email / Slack them to see whether they remember the results and whether it's become part of their regular practice; but it seems to me that the answers might be of interest to more people than me.

On the other hand, many forums specifically close threads that have been idle for more than some duration and otherwise actively discourage people from continuing them, even when the continuation is on-topic. If that's the preference here, then I don't want to be disruptive by posting on old topics.
Lisa Blank
Renewing Member
Renewing Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don’t actively manage threads other than making sure they’re in the right section or splitting threads if more than one topic gets discussed.

My preference is to post in the old thread, but I’m agreeable to whatever KF’s preference is.
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lisa Blank wrote:
My preference is to post in the old thread, but I’m agreeable to whatever KF’s preference is.

I also prefer to keep topics together, regardless of post date.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> Public: Forum Management All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: