FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to post photos on the forum

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> Public: Forum Management
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carol Kimball

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:16 am    Post subject: How to post photos on the forum Reply with quote

First, your graphics must be on a web site. Flickr is one of the free ones, used as an example here.

Flickr

This post has been edited (by KF). Flickr has changed. See Lisa's instructions below.
Lisa Blank
Renewing Member
Renewing Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flickr has changed again. Please click this link for the latest instructions.
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are generic (non-flickr instructions).

Upload your photo to the host of your choosing.

However it is you do it, save the url for the image location.

Write your post. When you're ready to insert the image, click on the "Img" button, this text will appear in your post:
Code:
[img]

Paste the url of your image. Your text now reads:
Code:
[img]http://yourfilelocation.com

Click the "Img" button again and it will bracket the url like so:
Code:
[img]http://yourfilelocation.com[/img]

Select preview to make sure it's okay and then submit.

If your image does not appear, it is for one of two reasons.
1. you have the wrong url.
2. there is a space between the end of the url and the closing img tag. Examples (top one is wrong, bottom one is correct):
Code:
[img]http://yourfilelocation.com [/img]
[img]http://yourfilelocation.com[/img]

Lisa Blank
Renewing Member
Renewing Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KF editing this post 5/22/13. Instructions have changed again. Lisa created a new version of instructions so please see those.

I've removed all the content from this post except the photo.
Lisa Blank
Renewing Member
Renewing Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

12/12/2015 note: Flickr has changed once more. I have updated the instructions below.

Regardless of which way you choose to post a photo, you first need to get to the photo's page. If you see multiple photos at once on your Flickr screen, then you're not yet at the photo's page. Click on the photo you want to post. This will take you to the photo's page.

Now you have to make a choice. Do you want to post the photo in the easiest possible manner? Choose option 1 below. Do you want to post the photo according to Flickr's community guidelines so that you're not in violation? Choose option 2 below.

Option 1

1. Once you are on the photo's page, you should see some icons to the right of the image. Click the downward arrow that has a line under it. This is the icon on the far right. Choose "View all sizes".

2. Click on the size you want. (I usually choose something in the medium range).

3. Right-click on the image and choose Copy Image Location.

4. Go to your F-I post.

5. Click the Img button (above the box where you type your message).

6. Paste the info you copied in step 4.

7. Click the Img button again.

8. Click the Preview button to see if the image appears in your post.

9. Click Submit to save your post.

Here's an image posted using these instructions. Notice that the image is not linked/clickable. (I selected a small size for this demo.)

Option 2

1. You're going to need to know what size photo you want to include in your post, so follow the instructions under option 1 to view all sizes. Once you know the size, go back to the photo's page.

2. Once you are on the photo's page, click the icon that's an arrow pointing to the right. Hovering over the icon should show "Share Photo".

3. A pop-up window will open. Click "BBCode" at the top of it.

4. Select the size you'd like from the dropdown list.

5. Copy all of the highlighted text in the box. It should start with
Code:
[url=https://
and end with
Code:
on Flickr

I wasn't able to paste the entire string in a code box as an example because it was misinterpreted and didn't render correctly.

6. Go to your F-I post and paste the info you copied in step 5.

7. Click the Preview button to see if the image appears in your post. If it does, continue with composing your post; otherwise, try to find your mistake and correct it.

Here's the same image posted using option 2. Notice that the image itself is linked to Flickr.

Last edited by Lisa Blank on Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:14 am; edited 3 times in total
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful instructions Lisa, I really appreciate the time you took to put the tutorial together.

I also edited the thread, clearing out the underbrush so people wouldn't get waylaid. All the above links within posts now point to your latest post. Again, thanks!
Sandy Peterson
Renewing Member
Renewing Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much, Lisa!
Lisa Blank
Renewing Member
Renewing Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're all welcome. I know lots of us need these instructions from time to time, so I'm glad I could help. It's one of the few ways I can give back to the F-I community.

Kathleen, thanks for cleaning up the thread. It's much better now.
Lisa Blank
Renewing Member
Renewing Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heads up to anyone relying on Flickr to host photos. If you don't know already, as of Jan. 8, 2019, free Flickr accounts will be limited to 1000 photos. Flickr's announcement is here.

I've read elsewhere (but haven't found the official Flickr announcement on this) that if you have a free account with over 1000 photos, then on Feb. 5, 2019 Flickr will begin deleting the extras starting with the oldest photo unless you upgrade to a Pro account, which now costs $49.95/year and includes unlimited storage. (A one-time 30% discount is being offered.)

I have a Pro account and about 2500 photos. I don't think the new price is worth it to me, but I'm paid up for a quite a while, so I have some time to decide what to do.

I've taken a look at Google photos, since I have a handful of photos stored there. I found that even though I obtained the URL for a photo, I was not able to get it to show in a post here. I've also trying grabbing URLs from Dropbox and Apple iCloud with no luck.

I don't (yet) know what other image hosting sites are available or what their pricing structures are or if they provide a URL that will allow a photo to be included in a post here.

If anyone has information on this topic, please share it with the group. Thanks!
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing for my to do list, find my flickr account and move the stuff. Thanks for the heads up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> Public: Forum Management All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: