FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem with sending PM's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> Public: Forum Management
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert Smagala
Renewing Member
Renewing Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:15 am    Post subject: Problem with sending PM's Reply with quote

Hello, I ran into some trouble again...

Trying to answer a PM I received, I was notified that I was not allowed to write PM's. This is embarassing as the person I'm trying to answer to hasn't got any Email in their profile.

Any idea why that happens? I believe there is no PM limitation outlined for forum members?
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PM-ing policy is outlined in [url=//fashion-incubator.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=7386]the orientation[/url] sent to every member. I realize it's probably been awhile since you've read it so here's the section:
Quote:
PRIVATE MESSAGING PRIVILEGES:
PM-ing privileges are not enabled for new users until they've posted at least 20 entries. I regret the need of this policy but existing members were complaining that new members would private message them rather than posting their questions to the forum -meaning they likely hadn't posted a bio yet. Members are happy to share information but they'd like to get to know you first. Once you hit 20 posts, please notify me so I can change your status because it's not automatic (yet). I realize you may be reluctant to post in the beginning but if everyone PM-ed, there would be no content to read and learn from. Exception: PMing privileges for renewing members are enabled automatically regardless of the number of posts they've made.

Fwiw, I didn't realize this said 20 posts, I'd been using 25.

Robert, if you know who it was who contacted you, I'd be happy to put you two together.
Robert Smagala
Renewing Member
Renewing Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it was Ms Alison Cumings. I just wanted to say thank you for what she suggested me.

Sorry for forgetting the rule, it is quite unusual and was quickly forgotten as such Smile
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's unusual and I regret the need of it. Like the orientation said, we had a lot of new members, mostly very young, who didn't want to post questions but instead ask other members directly and existing members were complaining. That subverts the purpose of having a forum. If we'd always PM-ed, there'd be very little content. And the forum is private anyway (except this section) so there's not much need for it except rarely.

A good alternative for members without PM-ing privileges is to select YES for "Always show my e-mail address" in their profiles. That is worded awkwardly (I didn't write it). It means that an email button will display under each of your posts. Others can click it to write you from here but your email address will not be known to the recipient unless you write them back. You will get their message as a normal email and can write them back directly from your email program.

For my part, I can't stand PMs (obvious from my signature) because they are not efficient. I hate having to come back to the forum and login just to see the message when I could have read it already and answered them. However, that is just our forum, I would use PMing on other forums if I didn't know the other user or was concerned that emailing direct might expose me to spam. Neither of which apply here.

Edited to add: I emailed Miss Alison, gave her your email address and I'm sure she'll write you at her first available opportunity.
Robert Smagala
Renewing Member
Renewing Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> Public: Forum Management All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: