FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Member can't access the site

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> Public: Forum Management
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Member can't access the site Reply with quote

I'm stymied. Ioanna, a valued contributor on the blog (has the book, don't know if she's a member here tho) can't access F-I. She's getting a network timeout error. She has no problem accessing any other site. If it matters, she lives in Crete. Eric asked her to ping the site. She said:
Quote:
hey I pinged but no dice.
it's weird cause it's the only site that I can't access!
also I connected directly to my dsl modem and not the router but still nothing.
IP Address: 192.168.3.100
DHCP Server: 192.168.3.3

Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem could be? For now she's accessing the site via a proxy but I'd like to fix this problem for her or anyone else who may be having it. Ideas?
Esther

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible the government of Crete has some kind of internet filter or block like (maybe not as severe as) China?
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I feel kind of dumb for posting the IPs she sent, those are internal, non-routing IPs. Duh. So we really don't know her IPs. She'll have to go to whatismyip.com. Since then, I've enlisted my host (canvasdreams.com); it is possible they have a block in place. CD is pretty aggressive. Do something dumb five times in a row and even I can't access my own site, it will not load. I have to go through a proxy just to see if the site is still live. That's just to prevent DOS attacks that strain network resources (server is 100% solar powered). I think its more likely the block is on this end rather than hers. She's never had trouble before and she's been around a long long time. Plus, she's not having a problem accessing any other sites on the web.
Danielle Luyten

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar experience with a different website a year ago. I was using Kaspersky at that time. When I closed Kaspersky I had no trouble with that website.

Since I didn't want to live without Internet Security and already wasn't happy with Kaspersky before that happened, I changed my firewall and antivirus program. For me that solved the problem.

I guess she doesn't have to take such drastic steps. Maybe it can be solved with a change in her firewall settings.

Has she tried a different browser? If she is using Internet Explorer she might try Firefox to see if she has the same problem. That could maybe narrow down where the problem could be.
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just resolved the issue. I contacted my webhost, apparently they were getting a lot of hack attempts and so had banned incoming traffic to their servers from her area.
Danielle Luyten

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad it was resolved.
heather
Renewing Member
Renewing Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried to post a comment to the blog and got this error message: 'spam filter has been set to not allow comments from users behind proxies'. Not sure what that means.
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing you were trying to access the site from aol. AOL is one big proxy server. Try it from a regular browser.
heather
Renewing Member
Renewing Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, love that AOL. Thanks Kathleen you were right!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> Public: Forum Management All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: