FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to search on the forum

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> Public: Forum Management
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: How to search on the forum Reply with quote

update 11/20/13:
Yay! I finally created a video on how to search the forum! If you prefer video, here is the link.
----------------
This is pretty straightforward, I'll show two ways using keywords, the second method is recommended:

1. Click on "Search", the image you see below will pop up.
2. Type in your search term.

Item #3, the default is descending meaning newest on top. If you know the entry is an old one, select ascending.

Item #4, this will return topics (folders) in which your key word appears. I recommend selecting "posts" (further down).

This is the second way. This time we will search by post.

And below is the result. Selecting posts will give you a short excerpt of a given entry in which your keyword appears. This is benefiical in two ways. One you don't have to wade through a whole thread to find your keyword. Second, you can see if the given post is likely to have the information you're looking for.

Last edited by Kathleen F. on Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Searching long list results with your internet browser Reply with quote

Another way to search is to read subject lines in various sections because it is likely someone has asked your question before. The problem with this is that the forum lists a lot of entries on one page so it can take a lot of time to scroll through them all. One way to reduce the time is to use a search feature that comes with your browser.

I'm going to show you how to do it with FireFox but most browsers act in similar ways (you'll figure it out).

The first step is to think of a word that is likely to be in the subject line of a post that deals with your question. For this example, I am looking for posts that deal with my question about setting up sales and order policies. Since I'm searching in the sales forum, the word "sales" is redundant and will return too many results to be useful. Therefore, I will use the word "order". It is best to use only one word.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> Public: Forum Management All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: