FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ACTIVISM: Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Esther

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

re: Special interest groups that supported the legislation. I have heard that the Consumers Union (aka Consumer Reports) lobbied for it. Diane Feinstein and Barbara Boxer introduced the pthalate ban based off the California ban. In the congressional record there is a list of various special interests that supported the pthalate ban. How much of an influence they had is hard to say. It is curious to see that there was virtually no major manufacturers or trade groups involved in that one aspect.

Special Interest Groups in support of the pthalate ban. (list posted below)

Last edited by Esther on Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Miracle
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Esther,

In that case, once we get an accurate letter, I'll be working to send it to those two and our local talk radio, which I know has their ears.

Again, I'm not against safety regulations, just unnecessary duplication of efforts (and general legislative stupidity).
Esther

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. I will post the list here. It's long, so Kathleen may want to place it somewhere else.

Quote:
The undersigned organizations strongly urge the CPSC Conference Committee to include the Feinstein Amendment prohibiting the use of phthalates in children's toys and childcare articles in the reconciled version of the House/Senate Consumer Product Safety Commission Reform Act .

Sincerely,

AAIDD (American Association on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities).

Alaska Community Action on Toxics.

Association of Reproductive Health Professionals.

AWHONN (Association of Women's Health, Obstetric & Neonatal Nurses).

Breast Cancer Action.

Breast Cancer Fund.

Center for Environmental Health.

Center for Health, Environment and Justice.

Citizens for a Healthy Bay

Clean New York.

Clean Water Action Alliance of Massachusetts.

Coalition for Clean Air.

Commonweal.

Consumer Federation of America.

Consumers Union.

CREHM (Chicago Consortium for Reproductive Environmental Health in Minority Communities).

EarthJustice.

Endometriosis Association.

Environment California.

Environmental Health Fund.

Environmental Working Group.

Greenpeace.

Health Education and Resources.

Healthy Building Network.

Healthy Child Healthy World.

Healthy Children Organizing Project.

Illinois Maternal and Child Health Coalition.

Illinois PIRG.

INCIID (InterNational Council on Infertility Information Dissemination, Inc.).

INND (Institute of Neurotoxicology & Neurological Disorders).

Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy.

Institute for Children's Environmental Health.

Kids in Danger.

Learning Disabilities Association of America.

Maternal and Child Health Access.

Minnesota PIRG.

MOMS (Making Our Milk Safe).

MomsRising.

Natural Resources Defense Council.

Olympic Environmental Council.

Oregon Center for Environmental Health.

Oregon Environmental Council.

Physicians for Social Responsibility- San Francisco Bay Area Chapter.

Planned Parenthood Affiliates of California.

Planned Parenthood Golden Gate.

Planned Parenthood of Mar Monte.

Planned Parenthood of the Rocky Mountains.

PODER (People Organized in Defense of Earth & her Resources).

Project IRENE.

Public Citizen's Congress Watch.

RESOLVE: The National Infertility Association.

Safe Food and Fertilizer.

SisterSong Women of Color Reproductive Health Collective.

Sources for Sustainable Communities.

The American Fertility Association.

The Annie Appleseed Project.

US PIRG.

[Page: S7876] GPO's PDF

Washington Toxics Coalition.

WashPIRG.

WHEN (Women's Health & Environmental Network).
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what anyone else is thinking but frankly, the phthalates is a battle I can't scare up the motivation to fight. Few of us need that in our products anyway. I saw product samples that use phthalates...call me an elitist but man, these were the tackiest of the tackiest products. Cheap cheap cheap laminated sandals, not even sewn but glued or plastic injection molded, what you'd find for sale at wal-mart or payless for $5.99. I think going after phthalates splinters us when so few of us need plastics in our products. If you're making vinyl bibs or art smocks, or sleepers with footies, it's time to get into something else.

I think we should focus on lead and consider lobbying the organizations who supported that legislation and let the huge importers tussle it out over phthalates.
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sheesh...boy, there's much to discuss...I'm actually wondering if it came out of Illinois. Long long story (nothing to do with obama).

Apparently, the AG (AGs of all states are charged with enforcement btw, not just the feds) of IL and her #2 iare bucking for position politically. The IL statutes are stricter than CA in many respects. The age limit there is ****16****! The AG has made noises about not preempting to the federal rules.
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I've heard back from Rick Woldenberg (the toy guy in the videos) and he sent me a whole slew of stuff. I will be posting these [url=//fashion-incubator.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=19530#19530]over here[/url]. It's a lot of material and attached files so give me time. There's also tons of email addresses to harvest.

The hearing we'd been pinning our hopes on next Wednesday, has been canceled. This is very bad news.

Rick Woldenberg wrote:
I admire the work you are doing, and hope you will stick to it. I was due to testify at the Rush hearings next Wednesday but they were cancelled which is an opportunity missed. I think our message is being heard, but there is no conviction to do anything about it - yet. I have some thoughts on further correspondence to move the ball downfield, but frankly, time is working against us now. So this is a great time to step up the pressure. Your contacts should keep the pressure on Congress, especially members of the House Energy and Commerce Committee. I will send you many emails with lots of relevant info. I will also add you to my mailing list, so you can see what I am up to.

Reminder: I'm putting Rick's stuff [url=//fashion-incubator.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=19530#19530]over here[/url]. Please spread the word on the other cpsia threads bcuz I can't get to it, thanks.
annika

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does he know why it was cancelled? And it wasn't rescheduled at all? This sucks.
Esther

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joseph - I never suggested such a thing. Miracle wanted to know who supported the bill, especially special interests. I had run across the list (primarily in support of the pthalate ban) when reading the congressional record. As I said before it is interesting to note that no industry related trade groups or scientists were involved. The bill was rushed through because of emotionalism and resulted in the mess we are in. Normally a bill of this magnitude sits in committee for a long time gathering testimony from interested parties. There was very little of that here.

Re: with state AG's being required to enforce this law it kind of nullifies the concept of selling locally only. I can see this inclusion of that requirement going to the US Supreme Court. I find it unusual that state AG's are being asked to enforce federal law. It may be a violation of state's rights, which until recently has had precedence over federal at the state level. I am not a legal expert, so maybe it means nothing, but it may be grounds for a challenge. While it would be expected for a state AG to uphold federal law, it is out of their jurisdiction since violations would go to federal court not state. In any event, the law has been passed and I think we are going to have a huge fight for and against this thing.

Very cool to hear from Woldenberg.
Pamela

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I understand it phthalate testing is not required on textiles, only flammability and lead. Has anyone seen differently on this?

Pam
Pamela

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Here we go Reply with quote

It is very sad to see how our children will actually be denied some wonderful products due to this hastily implemented law. Selectra brand is ceasing production to the US after December 31 2008.

http://www.zrecommends.com/detail/breaking-news-selecta-to-cease-us-distribution-due-to-cspia/

Pam
Robin B

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Could this be a major ripple in CPSC waters? Reply with quote

WASHINGTON - One of President Barack Obama's first acts as president was to order federal agencies to halt all pending regulations until his administration can review them.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28758810/
Robin B

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: guess not... Reply with quote

Technically not "pending" is it. Poot.
Alison Cummins
Official Archivist
Official Archivist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting.

The law has been passed by Congress, but CPSIA still gets to make the rules and regulations to apply the law. I guess that means that CPSIA will not be able to issue any exemptions right away.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quasi-legislative
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pretty much knew the answer to this one but hoping I was wrong, I asked Jennifer Taggert. We're actually more screwed than before. We're stuck with CPSIA because it's law and worse, those exemptions we were looking for (natural materials, electronics etc) are technically pending and so, have been suspended.
senecahart

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kathleen F. wrote:
I pretty much knew the answer to this one but hoping I was wrong, I asked Jennifer Taggert. We're actually more screwed than before. We're stuck with CPSIA because it's law and worse, those exemptions we were looking for (natural materials, electronics etc) are technically pending and so, have been suspended.

Oh, ick, I heard about the halt to pending legislation on the radio in the car this morning- I couldn't wait to get home and see if that was good news! And now, I guess its actually REALLY BAD news. Pooh.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: