Dot has sizing issues; she’s 5’10” and weighs about 110lbs, maybe less. In addition to her slender figure and height, she has an extended belly. Accordingly, I thought the top I used as inspiration would be ideal for her. Speaking of, I found the photo here; she got it from Anthropologie but it seems that the design’s provenance is murky. Who knows from whence this came? The Vogue home sewing pattern is out of print. But I digress, as usual. Oh, this link takes you to a larger photo.
The one I made is different of course; it has long sleeves, less cowling and a higher neckline. I’m still not certain about the neck… I’ve got a bit of elastic in there, raising the neckline for warmth. I also stuck a collar of sorts on it just to make it different. I’ll have to work on that. But now for pictures -which are lousy. I haven’t been able to use my real camera because I can’t find the cord. I finally broke down and ordered a new one. I didn’t realize these photos were this bad, should have checked before I mailed the top.
Ugh, on second thought, I think the top looks so ugly that I don’t want to load the photos on this page because it will depress me. Click on ugly front and ugly back to see them. I do think the back godet came out nicely. I didn’t even think to arrange the folds so neatly. Yay me.
Lessons learned -AKA, what’s in it for you:
The front shirring panel has several problems.
1. The front panel has too much shirring (fullness); the rippling of the seam is good indicator of that. The solution is to reduce that.
2. Not thinking too much about it, I made the shirring panel rectangular -it isn’t. At least, the Anthropologie shirred panel isn’t and I wanted mine to look like that. No, the panel has a bit of curvature to it. Making something circular-ish is a great way to get fullness around the outside edge but less bulk at the sew in. I’ll do that for version 2.
3. I’m hating the neckline the more I look at it. It looks like a muu muu. I’ll have to think about that too.
Other than the front panel and the neckline, the rest is on target. I am also not wild on a plain sleeve so I have to figure out how I will gussy it up. I’ll keep you posted and next time, will have better photos I won’t be embarrassed to load.