Continuing from yesterday, I re-worked my sample and got an improved result for my efforts. I’ve also uploaded side views if you’re interested in seeing those (one and two). I think it fits rather nicely so it is wearable in that respect. In the process of making this mock up, I figured out a few things and further down, have posted photos of the construction so you can follow along if you’re of the inclination to do so.
Before I forget, none of these folds were tacked in place as was illustrated in the Pattern Magic book. To my way of thinking, tacking the folds was the weak link so I wanted to get away from that to set the folds in such a way they wouldn’t collapse due to my haphazard and impatient basting. To say nothing of having the folds perform considering my carelessness with clothing, having to launder it et cetera. Maybe it’s just me but I don’t like to babysit clothes.
I’m uncertain as to the best fabrication for this detailing. I had thought this style would be great in something crisp like linen but now I’m not so sure. I suppose it could depend on the look you want. Linen will crease so if you want to keep soft folds, 100% linen probably isn’t the way to go because it will need to be ironed. Actually, ironing will be the problem period. I will have to try pressing the folds into place to see what it looks like. Obviously it will change the look of it but it could work. On the other hand, using scientific rigor and all, I could actually turn on my iron and try to iron it to see how tricky it would actually be instead of moaning about it. But no, whining is more fun. Seriously, I love linen so I may just try it.
Another fabrication option is something bendy and soft but then you could get dicey results with the give of bias grain. An option would be to fuse it to stabilize it but you’d have to be mindful of fusing weight so it is congruous with the results you want.
As far as construction goes, I think it would be helpful to cut a lightweight paper copy of the pattern along with the fabric. It would be optimal to make the folds in the paper copy and use it as a guide to make the folds and join seams of the fabric. Maybe it is just me but my head got twisted around several times and I had to refer back to the paper guide to keep myself on track.
The sewing portion itself was very minimal and simple. Personally I do not like exposed raw edges but I didn’t fret over them for the mock up. Were I to do a real blouse, I would probably overlock those edges. Failing to overlock them wouldn’t be a deal killer though because most of the seams are on the bias and accordingly, do not fray.
Okay, so here is the construction showing step one, step two and so on. There really isn’t much room for me to comment on them so I will leave that to you. Feel free to pose any questions you have.
For what it’s worth, I enjoyed this project. It is nice to do something pattern-intellectually stimulating. I do have ideas of how I would like to incorporate this as a concept in future products even if it is limited to my own enjoyment. I can’t even imagine having to pass something like this off to a sewing contractor…