I have a question about a pattern that I got from a factory that went under a couple of years ago. I’ve shown you some of their patterns before, they’re the weird/awful ones. All of the patterns from this outfit were weird in one way or another but this one has a “feature” that has me stumped and I was wondering if one of you knew what it was or meant. This pattern (a graded set) has little holes all along the edges.
I think it has something to do with grading. The reason is, back when I was living in Albuquerque and didn’t want to mess with grading some leather patterns, I hired this guy in El Paso to do the job. He did lousy work and I ended up returning them and not paying for it so I sure didn’t want to chat with him but beside the point, the graded set came back with little holes along the edges, just like these. Here’s another photo, a close up.
Of course, now I wish I’d asked him about it. I’ve never seen anything like this. The holes don’t line up to anything. Maybe an obvious answer is that the holes line up along the seam allowance but in the photo above, the hole on the far left and far right are at different heights, not even like a seam allowance would be. Then again, maybe it was that same guy who graded these (I did buy this in El Paso). The pattern itself was made by a guy named Felix, I recognize his handwriting, a cake-mix pattern maker if I ever met one. I used to work with him, he was a real piece of work. Used to show me nudie pens and pictures of nearly naked women at work. Seriously. When I complained, management said I had to make allowances for cultural differences. Oh the heady days of the early nineties. But that’s a whole other story. I thought I’d load a piece into my Dario grading machine but the holes in the wands didn’t line up either.
Here’s a close up:
So, anybody know what or how these holes were used to grade a pattern, assuming that’s what these are?
In the meantime, I finally pulled my drape off the form (because I needed it for something else) and getting ready to put it to paper. I’d wanted to digitize the pattern into my as yet unnamed CAD system, straight from the muslin (I think that’s how my friend Sally does it) but my digitizer won’t be here for at least another week. Sob. I needed the form because I made up a dummy muslin from this pattern I got from yet another of the Japanese drafting books I haven’t mentioned yet. It’s a shrug type thing. I’m not particularly pleased with it and haven’t decided how to putz with it so I probably won’t write about it till I figure out how to fix it. Either that or I go onto another project. I’m really hot for one of those East West leather jackets and am thinking of doing a “tribute” pattern but the block I have isn’t ready to take it so I have to fix that first. Honestly, maybe I’m getting lazy in my old age but I sure do wish these things would fix themselves so I could get to the fun part.