As some of you may know, I’ve not been myself lately. Being unemployed doesn’t sit well with me. I’ve looked and looked (and looked and looked) for a design job, but SF is just not offering anything in that realm. It would be a different story if I sent out a million resumes and got rejected everywhere, but I can count the number of resumes I’ve sent out on one hand–there just aren’t any jobs, period. Also, I am a people person–as much as they annoy me sometimes, spending long days alone does not agree with me. The husband doesn’t come home until 8pm, so the majority of my day is spent alone, and lately, banging my head against the wall. Feelings of worthlessness and loneliness do not a happy VC make. So things came to a boil on Friday and this is what I came up with:
First of all, I had 5 options:
1. Keep looking for design work. Keep banging head against wall.
2. Become a housewife. Strangle self with apron strings after shoving husband in oven. He’s skinny–he’ll fit. I am just not cut out for this type of work.
3. Assaf suggested we move to L.A. More jobs for me, close enough for him to telecommute easily with his office in Redwood City. I had to kindly remind him I hated living in L.A.
4. I suggested we move to New York. Lots of career opportunities. I watch Assaf struggle with his desire to be a good husband try to stop his lips from screaming “BAD IDEA!” My friend J has no qualms about saying that he hates that idea. Another friend scrunched up his face in that not cute way. Truth be told, I didn’t really want to move to New York anyway.
5. Stay in San Francisco, start my own company. Right. Because I have so much start up capital sitting in the bank right now.
So option #5 it is.
I’m starting my own company!
Like, right now. Are you as excited as I am? Probably more, because you don’t have the underlying terror that is preventing you from bouncing around the house.
I’ll be getting a part time “regular” job, and spending the rest of time plotting the beginnings of my future empire. Heh. Wish me luck.