FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question on Cpsia testing:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Celeste Gregoire

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Question on Cpsia testing: Reply with quote

This business of testing is so confusing:

I applied for small batch exemption, but because of the fabric I am using I have to have it tested anyway, as well as zippers, buttons etc. (according to the person I spoke with at the cpsia.)

1) When in the production process do people normally do this?

2)Has anyone sent their clothes to a certified lab outside the United States to minimize the cost of testing?

3)For items that fall under "compliance", what form does that take? If you were asked to show compliance, what would you show?

4) Can anyone share their personal experiences testing over multiple seasons? whole garments vs. cut swatches with zippers, buttons etc.?

Thanks so much!
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Question on Cpsia testing: Reply with quote

Celeste Gregoire wrote:
I applied for small batch exemption, but because of the fabric I am using I have to have it tested anyway, as well as zippers, buttons etc. (according to the person I spoke with at the cpsia.)

You may not need to test zippers etc if your provider supplies their test results to you. [url=//fashion-incubator.com/archive/cpsia-updates-11102009/]More is here[/url].
Quote:
1) When in the production process do people normally do this?

There is a lot of information on this on the blog, see the [url=//fashion-incubator.com/category/cpsia/]cpsia category[/url]. People typically do this well before production, while in the development phase. You'll need to become conversant with batching, as in, [url=//fashion-incubator.com/archive/what-is-a-batch/]what is a batch[/url]. Likewise, it will be incumbent upon you to make it a matter of contract with your contractor that no substitutions are made. It certainly raises the barre with respect to vendor compliance. This will be a problem for smaller producers who don't have the heft to enforce contracts or to seek redress in the event of compliance failure. The alternative of course is to produce it yourself altho I know not everyone has that option. There is much to be said for seriously pursuing the option as a goal.

At the time, I'd said that this law was going to force a lot of producers to [url=//fashion-incubator.com/archive/how-to-move-up-to-another-level/]become more professional[/url]. Btw, professional doesn't mean bigger, it means better. My feeling was that cpsia was going to force producers into standards of practice and if anything, that children's producers would lead the way. I think this is a good thing because it will make people do what they should be doing anyway.
Quote:
3)For items that fall under "compliance", what form does that take? If you were asked to show compliance, what would you show?
Again, see my comments above and the cpsia category which discusses compliance.
Celeste Gregoire

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much Kathleen for taking the time to respond. I really appreciate it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: