FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Location protocol

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> Public: Info on membership
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Location protocol Reply with quote

When you sign up, it would be great if you would add your location in the listed formats with NO punctuation. If you do not add your location, that's okay because I can do it. If you want to do it yourself, this is the preferred format:

US members: State City
Example: TX Dallas

Non US members: Nation City
Example: France Paris

Exceptions: Canada & Australia
Because these nations are geographically large, I prefer you to list your location as: Nation State/Province (abbreviated) City
Example: Canada BC Vancouver
Example: Australia VIC Bairnsdale

Were we to start getting sign ups from other nations that are geographically large (China, India etc), I would also prefer you follow the same guidelines.

Hopefully it is obvious why this is the preferred protocol. Namely, if you want to meet someone in your area or in an area you plan to visit and want to see if others are amenable to meeting you, you can sort the member list by location more easily. If we listed location by city, one would be limited to searching much longer and would have to know the names of cities and towns near by and search under those too. This way members are best sorted by geographical location.

Not everyone has a complete location listed because those members joined long before it was required. In any event, most of those members are frequent contributors and known to all.

Amended:
As of 11/15/2008, location -minimally city and state- is required. If I bend the rules for you, everyone else will think I'm playing favorites if I don't also allow them to modify. The few exceptions are those who are in transit (for example, a TX resident deployed to Iraq is listed as "TX" if they so desire).

Amended 3/19/12:
To residents of Washington DC. I'm aware that DC is not in the state of Maryland. I'm likewise aware the presumption that it is remains cause for annoyance as well as related political overtones. However, considering the intent of location inclusion and its formatting, it is in your best interest to list MD as your state of residency to facilitate potential opportunities with other members etc. Someone who searches the database in anticipation of visiting your area or has cause to connect with MD residents, is not likely to search separately under "DC" so you would probably be overlooked were we to follow the letter of the law.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> Public: Info on membership All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: