FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tags? (Wish list)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> Public: Forum Management
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alison Cummins
Official Archivist
Official Archivist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Tags? (Wish list) Reply with quote

Would it be possible to add a tagging feature to the forum, such that readers and writers can tag a thread to make it easier to find later?

There's a wealth of information here, but some of it is very difficult to find by new people. For instance, there's an important thread about how to get to pull if you don't own the means of production, but when I wanted to look it up I looked up all the threads started by Miracle until I found the right one. If I hadn't known about the thread or remembered that Miracle started it I probably wouldn't have known how to search for it.
Dawn Bucholtz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea Alison. I have found it difficult to find info. For instance, I wanted to find out what specifically to send to a contractor for making an initial sample. I spent about an hour with the search function, reading through posts, never did get my question answered.
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd be very expensive (several thousand dollars) to either custom code that or change to another forum with the capability built in and then, it's unlikely the import wouldn't break old links. I'm still dealing with the legacy of converting from MT and I moved from that ...what, 2 years ago? And yes, sure I can use something free but it all has to be integrated properly into the blog (recent phpbb topics on front page) , not break the database and sure, I could find someone to do it less expensively but I don't economize on certain things.

I agree tagging would be useful. What I've been doing is saving entries I know I will want to find later by tagging them in my Delicious account. You can assign any number of tags there. The benefit of delicious is you can tag any number of pages on various sites that may be similar and keep them grouped together. For example, if there was tagging just in here, you couldn't group with any other pages found on other web sites that may be similar useful and complimentary. You'd have to have tagging on site 1, site 2, site 3 etc and none of those tags would be integrated with each other -unless you used Delicious.

Maybe that can be a work around until some nebulous point in the future that I can make this more of a priority. Sorry Sad
Alison Cummins
Official Archivist
Official Archivist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don’t be sorry! You do so much already. I kind of suspected it wouldn’t be as easy as going “Oh yeah, I forgot to check the Tags box” but one can dream.

Delicious is good, but I can’t add anything to your links. What about a shared document where people can post links to threads they think are interesting under headers they think are relevant?
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alison Cummins wrote:
Delicious is good, but I can’t add anything to your links. What about a shared document where people can post links to threads they think are interesting under headers they think are relevant?

True, you can't amend my links in Delicious but you can create your own account. If I had it to do all over again (and will probably change) I'd create a folder called fashion_incubator_forum (and another for fashion_incubator to tag blog entries) and then add appropriate tags from there. If you have an account, you can navigate to someone else's links and add them to your collection.

But you bring up an interesting idea about a shared database. Let me think about how that may be affected or better, wait for someone to pop up with a better suggestion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> Public: Forum Management All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: