FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fleece = textile?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HBarryBoo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Fleece = textile? Reply with quote

Quote:
dyed or undyed textiles (not including leather, vinyl or PVC) and non-metallic thread and trim used in children’s apparel and other fabric products, such as baby blankets

I need a reality check from the lawyer-speak: is fleece considered a textile?
Tracy D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think so...it's polyester. Why wouldn't it be? Or are you talking sheep's fleece? in which case it would be natural wool and it would be exempt. in both cases you should be ok, from my reading.
dillybopdesigns

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree...it would have to be a textile, since by definition, it is a knitted fabric. Smile
dillybopdesigns

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Knitted Fabric - Fleece – Known for its warmth, fleece wicks away moisture from the body. Fleece fabric is primarily made from 100% polyester, but can be blended with other materials such as cotton, wool, rayon, and spandex. Providing exceptional wind resistance and warmth per weight as compared to other fabric types, fleece repels moisture, and can be sheared in a variety of different ways to create a soft, even velvet-like finishes. " Razz
J C Sprowls

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect the loophole HBarryBoo might want to explore are hides with the fur still on, like sherpa.

Hides are not explicitly addressed in the Small Business guide. I would presume the legislators would expand the definition to address hides, explicitly, if the matter is broached.

However, if referencing the fleece used for the products on the http://www.carseatponcho.com/ website: "You silly goose! Yes. It's a textile."

Seriously: what about it leads you to believe it was something other? I suspect there's more to your question that would surface if we just chatted a little more. What, specifically, do you want to make sure you are in compliance of? Have you read the Small Business guide the CPSC published?
HBarryBoo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Legalese makes me doubt myself! Reply with quote

When I read all this legislation (and the CPSC Small Biz Guide), it makes my eyes cross!

Yes, I do use polyester fleece. When I read the new press release, I assumed fleece was included, but then I worried that it was too straightforward ("Could textiles ACTUALLY mean woven or knit cloth???"), I worried I must be missing something.

Thanks to all who replied!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: