FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If you homeschool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tina HD

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:37 am    Post subject: If you homeschool Reply with quote

Better stock up on curriculum for the 12 and under set now.

http://www.handsofachild.com/shop/

http://www.homeschoolradioshows.com/liquidation/

http://handsandhearts.com/

These were announced in the last couple of days. I'm sure there will be more.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So sad! We homeschool! I need to call our curriculum provider and ask what is being done with them. Sadly, I do not have the money to purchase next years books right now Sad
Aria

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been reading their son's story, though I'm not Christian so don't pray, and it angers me that the lawmakers aren't giving a second thought to the children with medical needs who will be impacted. This boy's care will fall to the state to cover, as will the little girl in Hawaii I posted about, and states can't afford this. If the don't let go of the pride they have in supporting themselves and taking care of their children, their children will die. But of course the lawmakers don't care about individuals' senses of self-worth in being self-sufficient. It's like they're trying to break this country down to nothing.

If parents can't afford to home-school, that leaves private or public schooling. Since private is incredibly expensive, I guess that means kids all have to go to public schools so THE GOVERNMENT can control what they learn and how.

Free country?
Patti

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: HSLDA Reply with quote

I was frustrated to read today's statement by the Homeschool Legal Defense Association that seems to not grasp how much this IS going to affect sellers. At least as the CPSIA stands today.

"How does the new law affect homeschoolers who sell used textbooks and other educational materials to other individuals, including those who sell through the online HSLDA Curriculum Market? How does it affect vendors at homeschool conventions? These transactions are subject to the restrictions of the federal law under CPSIA. However, it is likely that most of these materials contain no lead or phthalates, are not banned hazardous materials, and have not been recalled by the manufacturer. And sellers are not required to test or certify any of these products, new or used. That’s the responsibility of manufacturers and importers. Sellers are simply prohibited from knowingly selling products that fail to meet federal standards."

You can read the whole thing here:

http://www.hslda.org/docs/news/20091130.asp
happymom4

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Money Reply with quote

Don't know where to put this exactly, but since my 16 year old son is home-schooled . . . I'll plunk it here!

He says, "You only have to be 2 years old to know that money is pretty nice to have, and interesting! So is the USA Mint planning to test ALL it's currency for lead?!"

Smart kid--I'm proud of him!!
Patti

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: update on HSLDA Reply with quote

Seems HSLDA has figured out how wrong they were about this not affecting homeschoolers. I'm pasting below a letter sent out today to all subscribers to Home School Legal Defense Association's e-list. Please pass this info along to anyone you know who might be able give more grist for the wheel, so to speak, to their efforts. I think they are looking specifically for homeschooling families who are affected, but the industry of your business shouldn't matter. Thanks!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Help Us Protect You

If new consumer product regulations will harm your business, tell us so we can tell federal officials. Contact HSLDA’s Federal Relations Department at 540-338-5600 or federalrelations@hslda.org.
Many of you have contacted us with your concerns regarding the impact of the federal Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA), and the forthcoming regulations. We have addressed some of these concerns in the online analysis, “Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008.”
However, we are concerned about the effect that this legislation and the proposed regulations will have on small family businesses. It appears that many of these vital businesses could be forced to close due to the high cost of compliance with the CPSIA.
HSLDA is trying to help protect such family businesses, as well as the homeschooling families who may purchase educational items from such a family business.
We will be meeting with the commissioners of the Consumer Product Safety Commission on Wednesday, February 4. It would help our efforts if we had actual accounts from family business owners who will have to go out of business, or make drastic cutbacks, as a result of this legislation and the proposed regulations.
If you are interested in having us use your family business as an example, please send us your contact information and a one- or two-page summary of your family business, the impact of the CPSIA, and what the likely harm to you will be. You may send this information to Eric Lansing at federalrelations@hslda.org. You may reach Eric and the rest of the HSLDA Federal Relations staff at 540-338-5600, if you have additional questions. We will only share your first name, name of your business, and your state of residence with the CPSC.
Thank you for your help. We are committed to doing all we can to protect family businesses, and are ready to begin lobbying Congress for an exemption to the CPSIA, if the commissioners are unhelpful to our cause.
Sincerely,
Mike Smith
HSLDA President
The HSLDA E-lert Service is a service of:
Home School Legal Defense Association • P.O. Box 3000 • Purcellville, Virginia 20134-9000
Phone: (540) 338-5600 • Fax: (540) 338-2733 • Email: info@hslda.org
Web: http://www.hslda.org
Gidget

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately it's any book - any product. Homeschool or not. For the last year, when we took the kids to Barnes n' Noble, they refused to spend their money if the book said printed in China. They were seriously self-educating as to how many books are printed in China.

It's never too late to turn over rotten legislation. No matter who it affects! Just continue to express your outrage!

DH had the idea that people of all industries should all sell eachother a blank piece of paper for whatever the item would cost and include with it - the item originally wanted as a free gift if you act now. He was kidding - I thought it was a great idea myself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: