FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help preparing for an interview

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Help preparing for an interview Reply with quote

A man is coming to interview me tomorrow evening (Wed, Jan 14th) for the local news concerning the CPSIA and how it will impact my small operation (cottage industry, stay at home Mom, make/sell hair bows). I need links to info so I can read and make sure I have all my facts straight.

for example, I was told my Mary Toro at the CPSC that I can use my MSDS sheets from suppliers until the August deadline, then 3rd party testing kicks in. Is this correct? Just things like that.

HELP! Please send me links, info, etc... I want to represent us in a very strong way!
J C Sprowls

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. This is incorrect. We've also already covered it in the forum. Considering that you're coming up short w/ a fast-encroaching deadline, I suggest it's time to focus on the barest of facts.

If it were me, I'd download and print off a copy of the Act as it appears, today. I would then read every paragraph, make a summary statement and then counter that paragraph with how it affects my business, both directly and indirectly (okay... so that's 2 counterpoint for each point).
Reagansmum

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject: CPSIA Information Reply with quote

Here are some helpful links that I've found:

http://www.cpsc.gov/about/cpsia/cpsia.html
http://nationalbankruptcyday.com/

The folks are twitter are talking about it too. www.twitter.com
Also, I would go to youtube.com and search. There are several videos to watch on the subject.

I do agree with Sprowls - download and go through the Act. Basically, if it's not in the law...it's a rumor.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it mentioned a "reasonable" test until when 3rd party testing kicks in which is August? Ms Toro told me that would get me to then....I didn't have time to read all in the forums, this is incorrect? SIGH!
I feel like I am being pulled one way then another, not sure what is right! Can not afford a lawyer nor can I understand all the legal wording of the law. Now I feel clueless Rolling Eyes

Will check the links above, thanks so much!!!!!
J C Sprowls

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If "guest" is the same person. I think you're under a pile of dirty laundry. There's a lot to this. And, if you try to take it in all at once, it's easy to confuse and blend issues.

Jennifer Taggart (smartmama) did say that XRF testing is permissible for the short-term. What XRF does is reveal items that are suspect (i.e. contains lead in X quantity).

Material Data Sheets (MDSs) are not considered to be "reasonable testing" by the CPSC at this time. Further: the CPSC has not yet determined if it will permit component testing or if the results of component testing from our suppliers is sufficient to issue a GCC.

Did you know that you can write in a recognizable name when you're here as a guest? The long-term members of this forum are accustomed to people using either their real name or their brand/label name. If everyone is "guest" we don't know to whom we address our answers.
Kiki Fluhr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: CPSIA Information Reply with quote

Reagansmum wrote:
Here are some helpful links that I've found:

This site says that XRF testing is NOT acceptable until August, in direct opposition to what Jennifer Taggart said. Are we positive Jennifer is correct?
Esther

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say the link to the above site is likely wrong. The few things I have read there have been incomplete. Jennifer is an environmental lawyer with lots of experience. I don't know who put up that site or their credentials. Do you?

XRF testing is considered a reasonable test UNTIL August when only certified laboratory testing will be allowed.
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good eye Esther. That site has many factual errors. I sent Jennifer Taggert over there, day before yesterday and she was incensed about it, it's doing a lot of damage. Speaking of, while it's flattering that nationalbankruptcyday.com was mentioned as a resource, I don't think there's much actual information over there or if any is, it's just information that's been copied and pasted from fashion-incubator. It's not intended to be anything other than a political statement.

Other than Jennifer Taggert's site (http://www.thesmartmama.com), a really great source for a lot of this is right here on fashion-incubator. This entry includes the whole list of entries for our newest visitors:
//fashion-incubator.com/archive/cpsia-please-take-the-economic-impact-survey/

People, please be very selective of resource sites. Just because you go to a site and the rhetoric resonates with you -so you think it is "right"- do not presume the information is right too. Anyway, since this forum is moderated, I removed those links so no one is led of course -at least from here.

Speaking of, there is a lot of moderating in here. If the title to the new topic you've started doesn't say what the thread is about, it will be edited. Iow, you can't say "HELP!" and expect to get as much of the right attention as framing the subject line to match the content. Please be considerate of people's time. It's also more professional.

Likewise as in this entry, discredited links are deleted and in other threads, people who are passing along urban myth or hearsay, content that is counter to the law is removed, again, lest anyone get the wrong idea.
annika

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J C Sprowls wrote:

Material Data Sheets (MDSs) are not considered to be "reasonable testing" by the CPSC at this time.

Has the CPSC said anything about what is a "reasonable testing program"? I haven't seen any definition, clarification at all about what constitutes reasonable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: