FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I don't know how this one keeps slipping through the cracks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Miracle
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:17 am    Post subject: I don't know how this one keeps slipping through the cracks Reply with quote

• JACKETS RECALLED: The Consumer Product Safety Commission on Tuesday recalled 55,000 girls’ jackets that have a drawstring through the hood. The Girls Blue Denim Passport jackets, distributed by Los Angeles-based Ms. Bubbles Inc., were sold in TJ Maxx, J.C. Penney and Forman Mills stores nationwide for $10 in children’s sizes 7 to 16. Drawstrings through the hoods of children’s clothing are considered a strangulation hazard under CPSC guidelines. Consumers can return the garments for a refund to the manufacturer or the retailer where they were purchased.

From WWD (online)

http://www.wwd.com/business-news/girls-jackets-recalled-1910905?src=nl/mornReport/20090107

Isn't it common knowledge (by now) that drawstrings in hoods are a no no? Why does this keep happening.
J C Sprowls

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would this not be one of those points about the professionalism debate? Clearly, the company who produced this garment failed to comply and it cost them dearly. I'll wager this is one of those turn-key (/aka turn and run away) companies that outsources utterly everything and then stands there, gobsmacked, blaming everyone else for their inability to manage.
Valerie Burner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last time I bought an iron, one of the warnings was: Do not iron garment while wearing the garment. It's mostly a reaction to our litigious society.

About the drawstring in the hood... I have always hated hoods (because they mess up my hair), but I received one for a gift last year and it has come in very handy on cold, windy, and rainy days. Trouble is, it does not have a drawstring. How does one keep it in place in the wind or while running? A scarf is overkill unless it's really cold, so I think we're shooting ourselves in the foot here by being so afraid of lawsuits that manufacturers won't even put them in adults' clothing.
Different Guest

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was my understanding the whole draw-string thing was a law just for babies, not for older kids. For little ones it makes sense to avoid an accidental hanging. Has that changed now? Size 16 girls is practically my size as an adult. Do I get protection now too? maybe we can add small adults to the list.
BlueGoose

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, not a joke.

http://www.cpsc.gov/BUSINFO/Drawstring.pdf

http://www.cpsc.gov/CPSCPUB/PUBS/208.pdf
Esther

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J C, I also blame the retailer buyers and sales reps. Some know, some don't. But with such high turn over, huge task educating them. They are the last stop before product hits the stores and they should be able to see drawstrings on product. Lead would still be a problem to detect unless they had x-ray eyes.
Emily Kruger

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to bring this up so long after the last activity on the thread...but, we have several kids jackets that have a way of tightening the hood, but not via tying....they are elastic cord with "toggle's" sewn in on both sides so you can tighten without tying (which I think removes the strangulation hazard)...is this considered "compliant"?

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: