FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My XRF Testing Experiences
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: xrf testing confusion Reply with quote

Question-even if an item doesn't have paint ON the surface, you can test with an XRF? I'm finding information that says the XRF scanner would be considered "reasonable testing" on only "painted surfaces". So a solid pink shirt can be tested with an XRF?
Kiki Fluhr

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tested all my items yesterday. Everything passed with levels < 10 ppm except for my snaps, which had a reading of about 200 ppm, and a set of vintage pearlized buttons, which failed big time with a reading of like 1600 ppm. They came in a variety lot. All the other pearlized ones I tested (like the ones on mens button up shirts) were fine. All the fabric, thread, yarn and all other buttons were under 10ppm.
Red4

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: XRF Confusion Reply with quote

I was planning on renting an XRF from a place locally here in Houston, TX. The rental place said that I needed to contact the Department of Health Services Radiation Safety Licensing Branch. To make a long story short, they want me to pay for a license ($575) to register for Certificate of Registration so I could test my products with an XRF gun. This price doesn't include the price of the rental of the XRF. Then, after looking at the CPSA site and this other site:

http://blog.cpsiaxrftest.com/?p=147

I'm wondering that if I did the testing myself (and not a third party) whether that's good enough. This what the CPSA site says:

"Yes. Where third-party testing by an accredited laboratory is required as the basis for certification, that testing cannot be based on XRF technology at this time; however, XRF testing, either by a manufacturer or by a laboratory, may serve as the basis for general conformity certification. Manufacturers are cautioned, however, to be careful in their use of XRF for this purpose given the difficulties in screening for lead in paint with that technology."

Can anyone shead some light on this? I don't want to spend the money if this RXF testing needs to be done by a third party. Thanks
KraftyMommas

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Red. Did you call AJAX?? That is who I called. 713-789-4149
They were ready to rent me a gun and train me how right there on the spot. No license, no papers, no nothing. I explained the intent etc.

As far as being 3rd party tested, from what I understand, this does not have to be done until August 2009. So, until then, the XRF is considered a "reasonable" testing.
As of today, all 3 guns at Ajax are out in different states. (I called today to see when one will be available)
When using the gun, you need to take pictures of the item, scan each component, each thread, fabric, buttons, zipper, etc and make notes of the readings on the gun. Some guns allow you to download the information to your pc and then you correlate all the information for each piece and make a "report" to include with the sale or to the retailer.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is component testing with XRF technology considered to be a reasonable testing program that would suffice until the August deadline?
I realize this info may be staring me in the face but at the moment my mind is overwhelmed and I am not able to comprehend but about a third of what I am reading.
Any help would be appreciated.
Kiki Fluhr

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guest - Yes i think XRF is thought of as resonable at least until August.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiki Fluhr wrote:
Guest - Yes i think XRF is thought of as resonable at least until August.

Thank you for your quick response.

Is XRF testing of components enough to be considered reasonable or does it have to be unit testing?

Sorry to be such a bother!
KraftyMommas

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for all.
Scan each component (ON finished item) and record results, then finished product (in case all components together = lead, LOL)
Print report for finished item and attach with picture and date.
That should suffice should anyone need proof of "reasonable" testing.
Lead tester

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: Looking for XRF lead screening Reply with quote

KraftyMommas wrote:
Good for all.
Scan each component (ON finished item) and record results, then finished product (in case all components together = lead, LOL)
Print report for finished item and attach with picture and date.
That should suffice should anyone need proof of "reasonable" testing.

Certainly the Thermo NITON analyzer provides easy use on multi component products complete with photograph for your QC records. Additionally Thermo has units for purchase and rental.
Call 978 670 7460 for assisitance and demo.
j_bird151@homtail.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:49 pm    Post subject: xrf gun rental, other options besides AJAX? Reply with quote

anyone know who else might be renting the guns?

thanks for you help.
jen
textilesavvy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: 3rd Party Testing Reply with quote

Just to let everyone know, when 3rd party testing become effective for lead in substrates testing Aug.14, 2009, Bureau Veritas located in Taunton, MA can help you with this! We have been the forefront for vendors looking to have their products tested for compliance with this new legislation and can offer a lot of insight regarding the CPSIA. Feel free to give us a call 508-844-2700

Remember, lead in surface coating already requires 3rd party testing and Feb.10 will be bringing about new testing requirements as well.
Textilesavvy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: XRF testing pros and cons Reply with quote

Jennifer, I have a couple questions regarding the XRF gun:
1. The gun can penetrate through several layers of surface coating to detect lead levels- what if the reading is picking up on the substrate and not the actual surface coating? (For example a coated zipper head)
2. Is there a specific surface that the "specimen" must be tested on in order to not effect the results? (ex: table which might contain lead)
Jennifer, Thesmartmama

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:07 am    Post subject: XRF questions Reply with quote

To answer your first question, it depends on your analyzer. My analyzer can tell you whether lead is in the coating or in the substrate. You have to have an upgrade for this on the standard Niton. Also, I understand that the Innovyx model (the one rented by Ajax) cannot do this (it only has a 40 kV tube - mine is 50).

You need make sure that the testing surface is not interfering with your results.

And, for those of you renting, make sure that you aren't testing the snap assembly together - you have to test eyelet, male, female and then eyelet again.

Jennifer
www.thesmartmama.com
sprmomof4

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

am i reading that jennifer does the testing? If so, what is the cost?

I am still trying to figure out if my nursing poncho line falls under the new guidelines? any comments.
Melissa McKeagney

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got all my items XRF'd last week. Rob Wilson, of Challenge & Fun rented one of the InnovX machines, and I trudged down to Mass. with my toddler in tow. I thought I would share my experience, and also some new developments with regards to my buttons.

First, thanks to Kiki for letting me know Rob had rented the gun. I was able to test everything (items and components) in about 3 1/2 hours. There was no detectable lead in any of my trims (rickrack, piping, elastic, shirring thread, etc.) fabrics, or textiles. That was the good news.

The bad news started happening when I started to test my buttons. Rob set up a stand with a cover, so you can put the button right on the gun and get a reading. When my shimmery plastic buttons started failing left and right, I got suspicious. We recalibrated the machine, but to no avail. They still failed.

These are nylon, polyester, and acrylic buttons. When I notified my button supplier of my findings, they unequivocally told me that none of their plastic buttons contained lead. I had not heard of this before, but they said that testing shiny or shimmery buttons might produce a lead reading due to the reflection. They are going to provide me with their manufacturer certs., even though I know it isn't allowed under the CPSIA. At least I'll know for the future (hopefully we can get this amended).

So, Jennifer, have you heard of this, and has your xrf readings produced similar results? Just wondering. I have the style no's. posted on my blog for anyone who cares to see: www.littlegirlpearl.blogspot.com.

Melissa
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: