FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Swarovski lead discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know, by chance, if there's any info available online regarding the ppm lead content of the various sizes of Swarovski crystals used on clothing?
Alison Cummins
Official Archivist
Official Archivist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guest,

Have you tried asking Swarowski? They would know.
Valerie Burner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genuine Swarovski crystals contain high amounts of lead. California has a law, Prop 65 (?) that requires warnings to be placed on items using crystals. I believe that the Swarovski site has some information, but there are many other sites that have it also.
Amanda

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Do Adult Goods with Crystals Need Tested Too? Reply with quote

I apologize if this is not the correct place to post this but I have an important question. I've read all through this forum and it is the most informative that I have found so I thought I would ask here.

I manufacture both children's and adult items and I have been under the impression that this CPSIA ruling is directed only towards good intended for children 12 and under. I have been concerned with getting my children's line tested but thought my adult line was fine. After speaking with a colleage of mine I am now not so sure. She told me she is required to have her maternity shirts tested for lead since she uses crystal embellishments. Now surely there is no way maternity goods can be intended for children 12 and under. Do adult and/or maternity goods require testing under this law? Does anyone know where I can go to find out?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alison Cummins wrote:
Guest,

Have you tried asking Swarowski? They would know.

They won't tell. Top secret, apparently!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valerie Burner wrote:
Genuine Swarovski crystals contain high amounts of lead. California has a law, Prop 65 (?) that requires warnings to be placed on items using crystals. I believe that the Swarovski site has some information, but there are many other sites that have it also.

I know that they have a decent percentage of lead (29%? Something along those lines), but the individual crystals used on clothing are so tiny that even if a good percentage is lead content, it seems like it would still take an awful lot of them to add up to enough total lead to exceed the allowable amount.
Jennifer, Thesmartmama

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Lead content in crystals Reply with quote

The fact that the crystals meet the toy standard for leachable lead is immaterial - the standard under the CPSIA right now is total lead in any part of a children's product. Swarovski also hands out the Oeko-Tex Std. 100 (class II) product certifcate showing the crystals pass, and this is also immaterial. Before 1/1/09, the Std. 100 test was for leachable lead as well.

I've tested hundreds of crystals now from all different sources - testing is anywhere from 4,000 ppm to 220,000 ppm. Tested a couple that we set in metal at 438,000 ppm, but may have had lead solder - difficult to separate.

Jennifer Taggart
www.thesmartmama.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: