FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Volunteer to write a press release and talking points

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Volunteer to write a press release and talking points Reply with quote

Subject line says it all. One of our members who is super PR connected and has a paid sub to PR distribution services has donated a slot to get the word out through her contacts. We need a professionally drafted press release ASAP; today if possible. I agree to be point person from here but I will also include Rob, Rick, AAFA, TIA and the bike people.

Also, several others have mentioned the need for a streamlined talking points doc we can all use when speaking with the media. It would be great if this could be a priority for today so I can post and distribute it. Feel free to cobble from anything you find in this forum.

Last edited by Kathleen F. on Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
mollyodesigns

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My degree/background is Journalism and Public Relations. So I would be happy to do it. However, I'm watching a friend's baby today and am curretnly typing one handed. LOL. If you can wait until tonight, I can do it then.

If not, if anyone wants to start compiling the key points or even write a draft, I would be happy to edit, etc.
SarahM

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My husband is a PR guy and will proof for us, if needed.

I had him look at a quick draft I did and I am going to pm it to Kathleen to see if it's the direction she wants it to go in. If it is, I'll send it to you Molly and you can finesse it from there.

I don't think we should put it on the public board.
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SarahM wrote:
I don't think we should put it on the public board.

Why not? Or do you just mean the doc in progress? Start a new thread in nothing's off topic and link back here.
Meg

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have the writing chops to help with this but I think it's a great idea. I would love to have a real press release to send to my local media!
Fledgling

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: More the scarier! Reply with quote

I have a dusty journalism degree so, yeah, whatever (see? Pretty dusty).
Thing is, press releases come through all the time across an editor's desk. An editor usual digs the press release back out of the circular file, only if he has heard about the topic from enough private individuals (individuals "without the writing chops").

My suggestion would be to get a lot of letters to the editor out there. Frankly, the mindset is probably, "CPSIA will get rid of lead! What could be better?" If, that is, if the editor has even heard of CPSIA. Not to mention its impact on small manufacturers, even eco manufacturers and the super nice Etsy folks. So he just needs to keep seeing CPSIA, CPSIA, CPSIA, CPSIA showing up in his email all week and preferably not from the smarmy PR yahoos with whom he went to J-school and then entered a Faustian deal with Big Business.

It is Christmas time and this is the one time of year that news organizations actively look for toy (and children's products) leads.

So I'd suggest that those effected just give it a shot.

-Nancy.
ramona1166

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think it would be a good idea to get on the top 3 talk radio shows (Rush, Hannity and Beck)? Has anyone tried and been successful?
Eric H
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramona1166 wrote:
Do you think it would be a good idea to get on the top 3 talk radio shows (Rush, Hannity and Beck)? Has anyone tried and been successful?

The downside to that is that they would turn it into a "librals vs 'Merica" issue, but we don't want to go there. It will be divisive. This thing was passed nearly unanimously. We need near unanimous agreement to revise it because no Congressperson can afford to be characterized as the pro-lead Congressperson.
Sarah Reid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think just even in terms of getting the word out, it'd be good? or no? I thought about calling Rush on Friday but truly don't want to sit on hold for that long. My guess would be that the hosts themselves have not really heard of it, so a call from someone on Open Line day would not yield much Lib vs Conservative talk, because they wouldn't know enough to really venture an opinion. I'm thinking best case scenario here, I know, but I have heard many a call on those shows where the host doesn't know much about the topic a caller wants to discuss, so the caller has his say, the host asks a few clarifying questions, and that's it.
ramona1166

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My comment was more to inform the public of what the consequences to them would be if this is actually implemented to the letter. 100% of the people I've talked to have no idea how this legislation will affect them. If they know, it would be more likely that a unanimous agreement could be reached that there are serious flaws in the law. I really like the letter by Rich Woldenberg ([url]//fashion-incubator.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=3487[/url]) about how the law is too broad and actually dilutes the ability for it to provide safe products.
Meg

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a press release and/or talking points? I have the Burlington Free Press in Vermont interested in running a story and I want to be able to pass them some info. Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: