FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Activism CPSIA: COUNTERINTELLIGENCE
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mollyodesigns

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiki allthenumbers wrote:
About the post that molly posted, its all over Etsy as well., in several threads. I tried to say it doesn't matter what the nice man told you, if you don't have it in writing it doesn't matter. But it was all "now i'm not worried, the new bill is different, there are exemptions" (which is not true)....
I don't know what else to say to combat this one other than, you're wrong and I'm right. Many people are jumping on her bandwagon....
Any ideas?

That is exactly why I posted it here. I'm so tired of everyone ignoring what I am saying because they don't want to believe it. I'm at the point where I want to say, go ahead and keeping making product x and when you list it on Feb. 10th I will be the first one reporting you. It is just too frustrating!
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Molly
I removed the text lest someone stumble on it and think it was genuine, believe me, my heart leaped hoping it was true. It is false. If I were her, I'd worry that someone would sue me for posting erroneous information. I do not doubt she talked to someone who may have told her those things. That doesn't mean they knew the law, they probably thought the law couldn't possibly be so draconian but it is. Btw, I just got off the phone with Rick Woldenberg; if this were pending, it would be on all of our hot lists, I would have broken the story on FI and NBD and popped a cork!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem! You have no idea how many people are taking this post as law because they want to believe it so badly. This is a PR nightmare for the cpsc. I can't believe they aren't doing a full media blitz to clear up the rumors.
Kiki allthenumbers

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Molly was that you again? Smile
That post is multiplying. It keeps getting copied and pasted and misquoted and now it's she talked to Rep. Rush himself....
I keep refuting it but is there something specific you want me to say?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Molly was that you again? Smile
That post is multiplying. It keeps getting copied and pasted and misquoted and now it's she talked to Rep. Rush himself....
I keep refuting it but is there something specific you want me to say?

Yes, it is me. LOL. I keep responding from my Blackberry and it won't let me log in first. Sorry.
Vicki P

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you are posting about this. I just read either the same thing or something similar on a board. The information flying around is just crazy. I would LOVE to believe it too, but misinformation like that just makes it harder to get everyone on board. People are posing everywhere that this is outdated and there is a "new" law. Don't I wish!

My letter to the local paper printed today. No matter who I tell or explain this to, they just say "our governmanet won't let this happen".......But people don't understand that business can't wait to make decisioins on what "might " get changed. The consumers will be outraged when the day comes that they have no choices in the stores. Consumer outrage will make a difference but by then it will be way too late.
Shelagh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I contacted my local newspaper (one of the largest in Florida) and asked about coverage of this important issue, particularly since there are a significant number of sewing contractors in the state (not to mention smaller independents like myself).

The response was that this law was in place to keep our children safe.

I have modified Kathleen's letter to Journal Modeste and will forward it...along with clarifications and links to businesses that have already decided to cease production as a result of this law.

I'm dumbfounded by the pithy journalistic inability to recognize that the small domestic manufacturers being flattened are those who care most about creating sweatshop-free, non-toxic products for our children.
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mollyodesigns wrote:
Would anyone like to respond to this?

This was posted on www.herecomesthestork.com A website for ebay sellers. The poster claims to have talked to the office of Rush (the person behind this bill).

I've been in contact with the person who now (tacitly) admits this is erroneous. She says over several emails:
Quote:
At this link: http://www.house.gov/rush/contact.shtml
yesterday I spoke with this man:
Christian Tamotsu Fjeld
Counsel

He was VERY knowledgable and told me cottage industries would have no worries. He knew what he was talking about, spoke to me at length and very patiently with all my questions.

... [something else] opened a whole other line of discussion:
Quote:
Do they have any intention to help cottage industries?
Pam<><

followed by:
Quote:
Are they listening to us? I honestly do not think their intention was to kill all the cottage industries, but I know that is how the law is currently written. Are they aware of their mistake that we were not recognized?
Pam<><

'Nuff said. Let's hope she prints a retraction.
mollyodesigns

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for correcting her. I'm not sure if she is the orginator of that post, but it has become viral very fast. You wouldn't believe all the places it is popping up. Hopefully the retraction will spread as quickly.

I just feel bad for the cottage industry/WAHM who are believe that post and will end up with a lot of stress on Feb. 10th.

My motto right now is prepare for the worst, hope for the best. I'm selling off all my inventory. And I'm fighting and holding out hope that I will just design a new line when the changes take place.
J C Sprowls

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hopefully the retraction will spread as quickly.

As the saying goes: "you can't unring a bell".
Kiki allthenumbers

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been trying to keep a lid on it over there. Someone started a whole other thread last night to specifically combat that one post, but I haven't seen a retraction yet. It is getting nasty and mean in the Etsy forums and frankly I am lacking in positivity right now and I need to take a break. Back to policing after dinner.
mollyodesigns

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been trying to keep a lid on it over there. Someone started a whole other thread last night to specifically combat that one post, but I haven't seen a retraction yet. It is getting nasty and mean in the Etsy forums and frankly I am lacking in positivity right now and I need to take a break. Back to policing after dinner.

Give me some links to etsy and I will go over and back you up :)
richelle*leanne

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Molly could you back me up on CBD? I'm getting so frustrated by the flippant responses, nobody is taking this seriously. We're talking nearly two thousand people on CBD alone; and there have been only a couple of people that even seem to care.
mollyodesigns

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richelle*leanne wrote:
Molly could you back me up on CBD? I'm getting so frustrated by the flippant responses, nobody is taking this seriously. We're talking nearly two thousand people on CBD alone; and there have been only a couple of people that even seem to care.

Send me the links. I'm going to get my kids shortly, but I will do it tonight for sure (I'm west coast so it is only 2:00 here right now).
Eric H
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've probably all seen one of these hatchet jobs by now:

Quote:
“While the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act is a major step forward, many of its protections don’t take effect until 2009, so it’s still ‘buyer beware’ for this shopping season,” said U.S. PIRG Public Health Advocate Liz Hitchcock. “Worse, last week the CPSC told companies that they could keep selling toys with toxic phthalate chemicals until they ran out of them, despite the law’s clear prohibition against selling them after Feb. 10.”

According to the most recent data from the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), toy-related injuries sent more than 80,000 children under the age of five to emergency rooms in 2007.

The implication by association is that some of those 80,000 emergency room visits are related to lead and/or phthalates (could they MAKE a harder-to-type word?). And the fact that "journalists" keep passing along these spoon-fed factoids is really getting aggravating. Perhaps Stephen Colbert had it right: the way the media works now is, "We say it, you write it down." Journalism? No, stenography. Stenography with some truthiness.

Anyhow, I had been meaning to look those figures up and see if there was anything to them. And then one of the stenographers made the mistake of linking to it and making my job easier. Bottom line: not one word regarding lead or phthalates.

Here's the link: http://www.cpsc.gov/LIBRARY/toymemo07.PDF

As you might have guessed, most of the injuries involve riding toys and small balls. Most of them were "lacerations, contusions, and abrasions." Also, as I thought might be the case, "For toy-related deaths and injuries, it is important to note that many of the incidents were associated with a toy but not necessarily caused by the toy." Not one of the deaths in 2007 was by lead poisoning or phthalate whatever-it-is-that-it-does-to-you. In fact, the reason everyone knows about Jarnell Brown is that such things really are rare (death by lead poisoning, a charm included with Reebok shoes). By the way, that ''toy" was already illegal in 2006 under the Federal Hazardous Substances Act. Blame Reebok.

After reading through a few more of those reports, I have to say that far too many of these deaths could be classified, "Death by stupid f(*&*#g parents." Costume cape caught in the axle of the ATV he was riding? Too bad the CPSIA doesn't mandate birth control for some people.

Anyhow, please counter this intentionally misleading attempt at guilt-by-association. Parents would do far more for their children's safety by avoiding small balls and scooters than by worrying about lead and phthalates.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: