FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What Really Is The Answer?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pamela

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: What Really Is The Answer? Reply with quote

Now that we know we are all in the soup what really is the answer? I don't know much about the law and how legislation really works and my short Google search did not bring me much joy. Now that there is a law what are the possibilities of changing this? How is a law changed? What are the chances of anything really being done to change this? Is it worth all the time and effort to continue the discussions or do we all just start looking for new careers?

I'll be honest, I had planned to just continue what I am doing. I was going to test some fabric for flammability and lead and be done with it. Even the person at Intertek told me to do the testing like this as it would show I was making an attempt to comply. Laws go into effect all the time but what is the percentage of action taken by these laws? Drivers drive well above the speed limit all the time, you take your chances. Small operations, ebay, etsy, handmade sellers they are not necessarily going to stop unless places like eBay actually shut down sellers without their conformity certificate. Will this really happen?

We live in the USA, the land of opportunity. Is there any opportunity left?

Pam
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What Really Is The Answer? Reply with quote

Pamela wrote:
Laws go into effect all the time but what is the percentage of action taken by these laws? Drivers drive well above the speed limit all the time, you take your chances. Small operations, ebay, etsy, handmade sellers they are not necessarily going to stop unless places like eBay actually shut down sellers without their conformity certificate. Will this really happen?

I don't know about eBay officially but it is a violation of TOS to sell products there that aren't legally saleable. Etsy management has already said they will be pulling all products in violation.

There's the matter of whistleblowing. There are so many people who will be hurt by this thing, the sooner we can shut off the hose of products to consumers the better -so it is nothing personal. There will be some product on the shelves but the price is going to be very high, we need consumers bellowing because they have the impact. Like I said in my last entry, it serves no purpose for every man to save himself because we are all in trouble. Divided we fall.

Enforcement will be on the state level from each state attorneys general office so one cannot be confident in escaping attention of an overworked federal system.
Valerie Burner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummm...... we could all get government jobs???
Pamela

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well really, what is the next step we are trying to accomplish? Now that we know how bad it is. I sent a letter to my State congressmen through the form at one of the sites noted somewhere else in this forum. But what is next?

Pam
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pamela wrote:
But what is next?

We're talking it up in whatever forums or message boards and blogs we can find. You can write letters to the editor, write to reporters of newspapers, newscasters, anything you can think of. We don't have any grand plan, just an attempt at a massive grassroots level effort to educate consumers with whom this law if very popular. They all think it's great, that it's getting rid of all the bad chinese lead toys. It is up to each of us to try to convince others to listen every single day. This is all I do now, every single day. Our weekends are spent on this, this is all Eric is doing too altho I made him take a break to fix our stopped up kitchen sink. We're living on take out, it's an 18 hour a day effort around here.
Pamela

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am writing a letter to James Girone as we speak. He is a leader big time in the children's wholesale trade. I mean probably the biggest. My letter to him will not be very exquisite but if he responds I may ask you, Kathleen, for assistance.

What about a Press Release about all this??

In one of my other forums, the Internet Merchants Association, someone asked why they hadn't heard about it in the Press.

Pam
Esther

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been spending many hours on this too. At some point a brave congressman will have to introduce a bill to reform the reform bill. It will be an uphill battle, but it is possible. We have to remember that our government is for the people, by the people and WE have the power to enact change. It can be at a local level with a state AG refusing to enforce it or at a national level by encouraging our representatives to make the appropriate changes. This is not the time to accept that a law is passed and nothing can be done. This is the time to stand up with strength to save our industry. We must have hope and a positive attitude. We have no time for fear and despair.
Vicki P

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been off the forum for a few weeks, so I apologize if this has already been posted. Someone sent this along to me and I thought this would be of interest
The Subcommittee that put this law together is meeting to review its implementation on Wednesday. We need to send a message to them to revise the law or its implementation the children's products market. Here are the details of the meeting:

The Subcommittee on Commerce, Trade, and Consumer Protection will hold a hearing on Wednesday, December 10, 2008, at 10:00 a.m. in room 2123 Rayburn House Office Building. The hearing is entitled "Implementation of the CPSIA: Urgent Questions about Application Dates, Testing and Certification, and Protecting Children." This is an oversight hearing examining implementation of Public Law 110-314 (H.R. 4040, the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA)). Witnesses will be by invitation only.
The staff briefing for this hearing will be held on Monday, December 8, 2008, at 4:00 p.m. in room 2322 Rayburn House Office Building
Pamela

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Hearing has been cancelled. No explanation why as far as I can tell.

Pam
annika

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone is active in the Fast Company or Inc. forums, it should be discussed there, too if it isn't being already. And while FC or Inc. are probably already nearly finished with Feb. issues, their editorial staffs should know, too.
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

annika wrote:
If anyone is active in the Fast Company or Inc. forums, it should be discussed there, too if it isn't being already. And while FC or Inc. are probably already nearly finished with Feb. issues, their editorial staffs should know, too.

Hi Annika, since you're obviously watching it, why don't you?

People, (not directed at Annika!!!! bcuz many are doing this) rather than posting here and saying "*somebody* should post in such and such a place", it's much better to do it yourself and then come back here and post the link to your comment so we can do back up.
annika

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only said that because I am not active there and I know that active members' statements are more likely to carry weight.
Lisa DOWNTOWN JOEY

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted to the main ebay children's boutique forum earlier today and linked back to the FI blog. Off to check out the response.
Vicki P

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am waiting to see if our local paper will print my letter. I asked them to do a new article; but no they would consider my letter to the editor. I've checked in with my local children's boutiques who were unaware of the law and looked at me like I was crazy. A boutique, filled with high end strollers, car seats, bedding and cribs and she is expanding to open new stores.....totally unaware of the law.

My MIL is in full force. She is retired and needed a new "cause". She wrote e-mail letters to the 300 people on her list (many, many have already responded and they in turn are writing, calling on my behalf because they can't believe this) and has made calls to our state congress people. She socializes with all of them, not that means a thing but I figure if just one or two people in a position to make something happen get fired up........anyways, we all have to do whatever we can. I am going to repeat my letters to congress over and over.

Thanks Kathleen for all your hours dedicated to this.

I'm not sure where to go from here but either way I will continue to get the word out for those left in the business. I was hanging on to hope and at this point who knows.
Beth, Jus Shar Designs

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: I contacted some folks today Reply with quote

I contacted our local paper, and the three major networks (locally).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: