FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RIP
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric H
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject: RIP Reply with quote

Thought I'd start a new thread to track exits from the market as a result of CPSIA. Please don't comment, just add 'em as you find 'em.

RIP: Selecta

http://www.playthings.com/article/CA6620437.html

Last edited by Eric H on Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vesta

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Death of a product category Reply with quote

HABA (German wooden toy maker)

"Due to the new CPSIA laws we have made the voluntary financial decision to no longer have the jewelry section in our catalog. The 2009 catalog will not include the jewelry. This does NOT mean that our current jewelry does not meet the ASTM requirements. Our overall jewelry sales are a very small percent of our business and the cost to test these items would outweigh the margins to sell the products."
phunkymama

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

K Bee Toys?

[Eric sez: No, this is not related, but I'm leaving it here because it's harder to kill than Jason Voorhees]
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nancy (fledgling) has suggested the creation of an ICU. That's [url=//fashion-incubator.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=20403#20403]here[/url].

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Club Libby Lu is also closing its doors. It's owned by Saks, isn't in serious financial trouble, although it isn't performing as well as they'd hoped. Don't know if CPSIA is a factor, or if it's all about the money.
Meg2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read somewhere yesterday that Maya Wraps is stopping production of their doll wraps.
Vesta

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confirmed, Maya Wrap is discontinuing their doll slings, as is TaylorMade, and ZoloWear already did. I'm sure we will, too.

(sigh) They're so cute.
kathleen f

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not bothering to login for this:

Holztiger, a toy maker, has suspended all U.S. sales.
Eric H
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.woopsiebaby.com/
Tina HD

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a thread over on Hyena Cart, there is a list being kept--2 businesses have said they are closing, 19 are on the not sure list, 42 on the still around list. Of those on the still around list, a few don't deal in children's products, or are revamping their offerings to focus on the over 12 crowd. Many are trying to make it work until Aug, at which time if nothing changes they've said they'll be finished.

http://hyenacart.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=101505&start=0 (sharing the link, but I think you have to join to see it).
Meg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea if this has anything to do with CPSIA going into effect or just a bad economy/bad holiday sales, but BabyCenter is closing. They say on their website it's so they can focus on other parts of their business, but the timing is interesting. All returns have to be in by February 5.

http://store.babycenter.com/text/content/fillslots/2008/holiday/home_page/RtnPolStoreClosePU_revised.html
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crossposted from [url=//fashion-incubator.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=22461#22461]here[/url]
DAMC wrote:
We are a children's consignment store in No. California and this is our last month of operation due to the CPSIA. We're not taking any chances. Even this article in the LA Times changes nothing for me: http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-lead7-2009jan07,0,6917858.story
We can't test everything; we can't afford to. I don't want to ride it out, because if they come back and say that the law is not changing, then I'm left with inventory I can't sell. At least now, I can sell off as much as I can before the law takes effect. We are fortunate that closing will not bankrupt us, but all the years of hard work is down the drain. Even if the law does get changed; WHEN? and how much will it change. Some very good points have been made on this forum: Big retailers will advertise that their clothes are safe and meet or exceed CPSC guidelines (can your local resale shop make that claim); Some small manufacturers that go out of business may turn to turning in others that do not follow the law (and they have every right to); Each State's Attorney General is an elected position. How soon after a child dies from an item purchased resale shop will the AG jump into action? There is just too much. I may be wrong by choosing to close. I may feel sad 3-4 months from now when resale shops are "off the hook". Or I'll be glad I jumped when I did when I read that "XYZ Resales" was just fined 100K by the AG for breaking the law. I have to err on the side of caution. Best Wishes.
DAMC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not official, but I believe Nautica (http://www.nautica.com) has gotten out of the children's clothing line. There is a Nautica Outlet store about 15 miles from us and about 6-8 weeks ago, the store manager donated to our store several boxes of their small and medium sized hangers. The manager told my wife they were getting out of the childrens clothing line, but did not know why. Like I said, it's not official, but curious.[/url]
Bethany

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the most popular children's boutiques just closed their doors after 5 years here in Manhattan Beach. I know one of the owners, and they were just starting to really make a profit when the economy collapsed. I havent talked to her about the CPSIA, but I bet the addition of having to police the clothing they sell didnt help matters any.
Mark from Denver

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Zombies Reply with quote

There may be many cases of zombies in the interim between 2/10 and mid-August.

In my case, I anticipate being able to comply with the 2/10 requirements, and am working feverishly on this. However I don't think I'll be able to do comply with the new requirements for August.

So, I am like the "walking dead". My company is alive right now, but will probably be dead as of mid-August.

I'm sure there will be others like this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: