FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How many manufacture children's products?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety
View previous topic :: View next topic  
erin.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make cloth diapers and wool pants, so I will be testing.
Does anyone know of a batch label printer that will make less than 1000 pieces? I don't need 1000 labels per color, so printing is going to become another huge expense. I am going to contact Avery ( http://www.ibmd.averydennison.com/solutions/documents/cspia/CPSIA-ProductSheet.pdf ) and check their pricing because PCB label has a 1000 pc minimum. They did say they would be willing to work with me, though. I just can't imagine paying plate fees for each label.
Also, is there any word yet on whether we need to go forward with testing per size? Or is that still being discussed?
Miracle
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use thermally printed garment labels, there are no plate charges, they are direct from computer to printer.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miracle wrote:
If you use thermally printed garment labels, there are no plate charges, they are direct from computer to printer.

Forgive me here, but is this something that can be printed from a home/office computer and ironed on?
thanks!
Miracle
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Forgive me here, but is this something that can be printed from a home/office computer and ironed on?
thanks!

I have seen people use iron on (or tagless) labels.

At the end of the day the appropriate method depends on how many pieces are being manufactured and how they are being sold. Not knowing what everyone produces the general idea is this:

People manufacturing for sale in retail stores should adhere to industry standards of professionalism in labeling. I also infer from the laws that the labels, especially if tagless (i.e. the issue with Carter's tagless labels) need to also be certified for compliance.

People making one of a kind items, or items for sale in a craft-ish environment, are usually not subject to the same standards of scrutiny and may be able to use home produced labels, provided they too are compliant.

Thermal garment labels could, theoretically, be produced "at home" however, the equipment is very expensive, and thus cost prohibitive.

If labeling does become burdensome, then I strongly suggest that as a group, you settle it all out, and then together approach a smaller label manufacturer on providing a CPSIA product offering for smaller manufacturers.

Also keep in mind the lot tracking is an issue of being to pinpoint the production batch of an item. There may be some technology (advanced or rudimentary) or way of overprinting the changing part of the tracking label, like the date of production.
ramona1166

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lisa,
Is that $500 per style or per SKU? If we have to test each SKU (each size, color, etc. is a different SKU), that can get pretty pricey can't it?
Heidi/Tadpoles and Tutus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also make baby/toddler/childrens clothing and I can not afford to pay the testing fees......I do this because of my LOVE to sew for children...how sad the government can take that away from someone!!

Heidi
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramona1166 wrote:
Is that $500 per style or per SKU? If we have to test each SKU (each size, color, etc. is a different SKU), that can get pretty pricey can't it?

It's per SKU (mostly). I suppose we should count ourselves lucky it's not per UPC.
Susan G

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also, regarding interstate commerce, I hadn't thought of this, but if this is federal and you make and only sell locally, is that even within the jurisdiction of the CPSC? .

Regarding the above quote: Federal law takes precedence unless the state or local law is stricter. (at least this is how it is in accounting)

My dream of a children's line just got put on hold until all regulations are clear. Crying or Very sad Or I start having grandchildren and the urge just won't quit. Laughing
J C Sprowls

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Federal law takes precedence unless the state or local law is stricter.

Any company compliance policy must be tuned to the most stringent standard, whether that is a local/federal or international.

Figuring out your distribution channels based on compliance is a very inefficient business strategy. Mega-huge corporations tend to gather teams of bloated salaries in order to chase this kind of daylight, only to dismantle the project/team after a few months. But, rest assured! They'll try it again every couple years or so.

Been there. Done that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: