FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Activism CPSIA: ONLINE
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Melissa McKeagney

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got your back Kathleen, but I really must be off to my basement. Those orders aren't going to sew themselves.

Melissa
Kiki allthenumbers

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Etsy article:
http://www.etsy.com/storque/craftivism/cpsia-updates-and-calls-to-action-3157/
Pamela

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boutique Cafe is having some discussions

http://www.boutiquecafe.com/home/2008/12/17/1943/

Pam
Pamela

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is how one toy company is handling all of this and has one of their sellers, someone I know, fully comfortable with the fact that they are in full compliance. This is certainly better than nothing and since I doubt the CPSC will be able to fully monitor their new law this just may do.

http://www.melissaanddoug.com/toysafety.phtml

Pam
Pamela

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also here is a new post from Rick Woldenberg on his blog.

http://learningresourcesinc.blogspot.com/2009/01/some-recent-correspondence-on-cpsia.html

Pam
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pamela wrote:
Here is how one toy company is handling all of this and has one of their sellers, someone I know, fully comfortable with the fact that they are in full compliance.
http://www.melissaanddoug.com/toysafety.phtml

On twitter, buyers are saying that Melissa & Doug haven't come through with the GCCs, that they're just pointing people to that site but haven't actually supplied them with documentation they need to sell through. Several people have said this and they're frustrated and planning to return their products along with everyone else's. I don't know what the truth of it is.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there. I just wrote an article and it is now published up at Posh Mama on the front page. She gets a lot of media traffic and many front page articles are picked up by major media outlets.

www.poshmama.com

I focused on handmade and used items. Feel free to leave comments there if you think I missed something important (you may have to register though ... and it is a woman's only network Wink ).
Laura Skelton

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.etsy.com/storque/craftivism/cpsia-exemption-announcement-resources-action-items-3188/#comment-58580

New Etsy article.

It seems to me like they wrote it in such a way that many crafters of kids stuff think that this lets them off the hook, when it in no way does that. For example, they quote an article that says "cotton" is exempt, but don't actually reference the exemption text that specifies undyed, untreated natural fibers- so, many of the crafters think that because they use 100% cotton fabrics (printed obviously) that they are now off the hook for this law.
Erin Blanton

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding Melissa & Doug: We sell a fair amount of their product in our store (not huge, but I spent around $13k with them last year). For me, the safety letter on their website is really not sufficient. Only if it's specific, written assurance on company letterhead that all the items I hold in inventory are compliant with 2/10 CPSIA standards do I accept a letter as "enough." It is better than nothing, however.

Other toy vendors are doing much, much more than M&D has, at least so far, to help me document that existing inventory I hold is compliant with the 2/10 standards. My M&D sales rep basically laughed at my concern, told me that he deals with much larger accounts who haven't questioned him at all, and only upon my insistence did he agree to forward an email from me to someone in their safety department. (Could it be that these "much larger accounts" have legal departments that are dealing directly with the legal department at M&D? Seems likely. Anyway.)

I know I'm not a huge customer for them. I understand that they have bigger clients. However, large companies like Toysmith, Klutz, and Schylling are being nothing but helpful and accommodating when it comes to providing me with test results showing that items I have in inventory now will still be OK come 2/10 -- and I'm not a huge customer for these companies, either. It's a little frustrating.

It's not that I don't believe their products are safe, or of high quality. I truly do believe that they are. But that belief is not enough to cover my butt in the event of a recall or problem, IMO. And if they have the test results that show compliance, why won't they just send me the darn things like everyone else is doing?
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin Blanton wrote:
I know I'm not a huge customer for them. I understand that they have bigger clients. However, large companies like Toysmith, Klutz, and Schylling are being nothing but helpful and accommodating when it comes to providing me with test results showing that items I have in inventory now will still be OK come 2/10 -- and I'm not a huge customer for these companies, either. It's a little frustrating.

It's not that I don't believe their products are safe, or of high quality. I truly do believe that they are. But that belief is not enough to cover my butt in the event of a recall or problem, IMO. And if they have the test results that show compliance, why won't they just send me the darn things like everyone else is doing?

Because again, like we keep saying, professionalism is not related to size -it isn't- but very often, it is one's commitment to professionalism that lets one grow. Meaning that I am not at all surprised that the larger firms are taking you -a very small customer in their eyes- much more seriously than the comparatively smaller, younger company M&D. I know we like to slam big companies but by and large, they either get it right or they get gone. No different than small companies.

M&D isn't the only company trying to ride on it's own coat tails of positive spin and image in the marketplace. They're not the only one's a little spoiled with the attention. However, they like several others I can think of off the top of my head, are going to have to realize they are not "special". This is happening to everyone and maybe their ride to the top has been magical and meteoric and they cut a few corners...it aint happening anymore (a form of denial?). It is happening to them and everyone else.

M&D are not more special than larger firms. If they are better than their competitors as they claim to be, then they should do as their competitors do too.
Pamela

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few more very good posts by Rick Woldenberg. A very sad story of the Hawaii doll store (CPSIA - The Emperor Has No Clothes!). Rick posted a whole slew of email addresses, copy and paste them into your CC list and fire off an email to these people.

http://learningresourcesinc.blogspot.com/

Pam
Laura Skelton

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted to the New Orleans Craft Mafia blog, and my newsletter and business blog about it. Hope it helps! A friend is trying to get a letter published in the New York Times as well.

http://neworleanscraftmafia.blogspot.com/2009/01/farewell-to-handmade-toys.html
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't rightly know where to post this. I was interviewed by the Injury Board for a Cpsia story and I was impressed (based on an earlier experience with one of their other writers) of the writer's treatment of the topic. Btw, that photo of me is ancient. Don't have an official headshot that's newer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: