FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Activism CPSIA: ONLINE
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blizzard77

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Etsy admin posted re: CPSIA and IMO they took their time and did a good job:
http://www.etsy.com/storque/craftivism/handmade-childrens-items-unintended-consequences-consumer-pr-3056/
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

angelbottoms wrote:
I wasn't sure where to post these but I am on Google alerts for CPSIA.

http://blog.auctionbytes.com/cgi-bin/blog/blog.pl?/comments/2008/12/1228967351.html

http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2008/12/10/handmade-toys-may-soon-be-too-expensive-for-u-s-consumers/

Jo Lynn
Kathleen F

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Meyer (friend and colleague) has posted
Yet another regulatory nightmare.

Hop over and say hi and leave a comment. Btw, the more you comment on these things, the more inclined they are to continue to write about them if they think there is interest.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esther wrote:
Finally my message showed up on the MomPack List. I see that JoLynn Francis from Angel Bottom Boutique linked to the latest FI blog on the list. This is a private list of over 5,000 mompreneurs and they are very protective of the content on the list. I was worried that my message would be deemed to political because I hadn't seen it. Anyway. It's there and should get a lot of attention.

(Sorry no link because it is a private list.)

That would be me. We are all trying to make heads or tales of all this. It really is a scary time....... The list is through www.mompack.com

Jo Lynn
Eric H
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blizzard77 (Guest) wrote:
http://www.craftingwithcats.blogspot.com/
blog on protest effort

Just keeping things where they belong.
Pamela

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we should get Designer Y over here, I will email her since I have advertised on her site before.

http://designing-minds.blogspot.com/2008/12/designer-y-sounds-off-about-cpsia.html

Pam
Pamela

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also posted the Craigs List post on the Chicago list, with a small amendment as suggested to the blogger comment.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bab/956035587.html

Pam
Eric H
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this nifty automated "letter to your congressman widget" at HealthyToys.org. HealthyToys is one of those sanctimonious groups that believes and preaches that all manufacturers are essentially felons but just haven't been caught. They do not care about the consequences of that which they demand. Their petition reads:
Quote:
Toxic chemicals simply do not belong in toys or any products that may expose children to health hazards. It seems that every week we learn of a new consumer product unnecessarily containing chemicals of concern that are likely contributing to the increase of chronic diseases and disorders, including cancer, infertility, and asthma. The presence of toxic chemicals in everyday products demonstrates the ineffectiveness of our laws to protect consumers and workers. Therefore, I am asking you to commit to help establish a 21st Century chemicals law that reforms the ineffective and outdated Toxic Substances Control Act. The new law must:

1) Require safety testing for all chemicals;

2) Phase out chemicals that threaten the health of children and require safer alternatives;

3) Assure the public has a right to know about chemical hazards and use;

4) Invest in a greener economy and assure competitiveness by rewarding Green Chemistry and the development of safer alternatives;

5) Protect workers and communities from chemical hazards.

Thank you for your consideration. I look forward to your response.

Sincerely,

So why would I sign their irresponsible petition? Well, because it lets me edit it. Be sure to edit the subject line to read something like "Reform the CPSIA Legislation". I recommend that you cut and paste this into it and send it off:
Quote:
Toxic chemicals simply do not belong in toys or any products that may expose children to health hazards. Fortunately, there are plenty of laws that ban these substances, and plenty of small and large manufacturers who are committed to selling safe products. Unfortunately, there are lots of overzealous "consumers" groups who deny or are ignorant of these facts. One recent law, the Consumer Products Safety Improvement Act of 2008, is going to drive the good manufacturers out of business, leaving only the bad guys. The main effect of the law is not to eliminate dangerous chemicals - there will be no less lead in cotton cloth now than there ever was. The main effect is to require expensive testing that will be uneconomical for small manufacturers. The scope of the law encompasses everyone from handmade toy makers and one-woman children's clothing manufacturers to astroturf and school supply manufacturers. Therefore, I am asking you to commit to help establish a 21st Century chemicals law that reforms the poorly researched Consumer Products Safety Improvement Act. The new law must:

1) Require safety testing for all chemicals, but must be flexible in allowing source (component testing) or unit testing, and should exempt inherently safe materials such as organic cotton cloth;

2) Gradually phase out chemicals that threaten the health of children and require safer alternatives, but must consider materiality and accessibility, i.e. not result in the banning of microscopes used in schools because of a dot of solder on the lamp;

3) Assure the public has a right to know about chemical hazards and use;

4) Provide for a "Safe Harbor" program for companies who want to comply, removing the specter of million dollar fines, retroactive bans, felony convictions, midnight seizures, loan defaults, and Sarbanes-Oxley complications;

5) Protect workers and communities from chemical hazards.

Thank you for your consideration. I look forward to your response.

Sincerely,
Eric Husman
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:21 am    Post subject: Moved thread Reply with quote

AutumnElayne wrote:
I write for Green Options Media, a decent sized environmental blog network, and posted an article about how CPSIA will affect crafters here:
http://craftingagreenworld.com/2008/12/14/geppetto-in-peril/

Our network RSS feed reaches a lot of greenies who might not otherwise see this side of the story!
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

handcraftivist wrote:
FINALLY, a report on the CPSIA situation and how it will affect one woman's small homebased business. I put it on the handcraftivist channel on YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjwNu7w2BSQ

Please send me any leads if you know of any other reports on CPSIA (TV, radio, Internet) and/or homemade vids produced by handcrafters or small businesses outlining their concern for the effect this could have on their livelihood.

Email me handcraftivist@yahoo.com if you know of any video/audio about CPSIA and the affect it will have on handcrafters and small businesses who sell items for children.
Eric H
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many have read this from Seven Days?

Quote:
David Arkush is director of the Congress Watch division of Public Citizen, one of the half-dozen or so activist groups that pushed for passage of the CPSIA. Although Arkush says he’s only now starting to hear from small, independent manufacturers, he believes the claims about excessive testing costs are the result of poor information from the Consumer Product Safety Commission, if not a deliberate misinformation campaign.

“Some of their perceptions of what the costs are going to be are really overblown,” Arkush asserts. The CPSC “is not a bunch of jackbooted thugs who are going to come lock people up if they’re not complying with the law.”

Arkush admits some of the mandates may sound absurd at first blush, such as testing wooden toys for phthalates, or testing cotton T-shirts for lead.

“But we’re erring on the side of safety,” he adds, “because this is about lead and other toxic chemicals that are very dangerous to children.”

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to bombard this guy with actual price quotes for testing, copies of the Etsy and Ebay notices for CPSIA compliance, and similar facts, euphemistically known to Mr. Arkush as "deliberate misinformation".

Quote:
David Arkush
Director, Public Citizen's Congress Watch
215 Pennsylvania Avenue SE, Washington, DC 20003
(202) 546-4996 | E-mail: darkush@citizen.org

This message will not self-destruct. Have a nice day.
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric is far too subtle. I say give it to David Arkush with both barrels. Spread his email address everywhere darkush@citizen.org. Tell everyone to email him their ire. Don't forget to include your web addresses so he can see all these dangerous products you're inflicting on the public. I say it's time to go after the special interest groups who lobbied for this thing and stubbornly persist in negating the unintended consequences of their actions.
Vicki P

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome!!
And a phone number too. I'm off to spread the word.

Vicki
Esther

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burdastyle article.

http://www.burdastyle.com/blog/show/767
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, now I'm officially pissed off. If any of you are members of pattern review, would you please go over there and set these people straight? Particularly Larisa who's become a real jerk. She's dragged out that ole "it's not a durable good" excuse. I linked to the denial entry since it dealt specifically with the matter at hand and she somehow thinks I'm prescient enough to have written it directly AT HER several days in advance of her post. I could use some help over there. I'm the only one weighing in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: