FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Activism CPSIA: ONLINE
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Activism CPSIA: ONLINE Reply with quote

As per [url=//fashion-incubator.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=18780#18780]Jody's suggestion[/url], we're splitting the activism thread into five areas which are:
1. ONLINE: Distribution of materials through the Internet to get our message out there for the purpose of generating support at the grassroots level (through blogs, listservers, discussion groups on Etsy, eBay, posting iPetitions, etc.)
2. CONGRESS: Flooding our Congressional representatives with comments
3. CPSC: Flooding CPSC with comments
4. MEDIA: Generating media interest in our concerns
5. TRADE GROUPS: Working through and alongside professional trade organizations to get our message heard

Jody wrote:
I’ve seen a whole lot of good ideas on this thread on how to fight this thing. But, I’m finding it increasingly difficult to follow everyone’s efforts. Waging an effective battle requires strategy. To that end, I’d like to recommend that we get a little more organized to increase our effectiveness.

<snipped> What I’m suggesting is to use separate threads on this forum much like you would create subcommittees under a Board. This way, when any of us completes a task such as contacting a specific media outlet, posting on a specific blog, etc., we can post to the appropriate thread. Likewise, when each of us is working on something, we can go straight to that thread to find out what’s been done so far so that no one ends up spinning their wheels. We have lots of energy and connections here – we need to use both very wisely to avoid burn out.

It occurs to me that we really need to target our concerns about this legislation to the audience we are appealing to. To that end, I am drafting different responses for us to send to different audiences.

This is feel-good legislation, both among Congress and consumers, both of which are uneducated about its real cost to them and our economy as a whole. We have to be mindful that because this law was intended to provide greater protection for children, we must be very careful in our efforts to avoid the appearance that we care more about our pocketbooks than child safety. If this happens, we will lose any credibility we might be able to gain as we move forward in this thing.</snipped>

Anyway, here please post your online activist activities and include links. If someone posts a link, please, follow the link and add your two cents! Don't leave someone hanging alone, they need back up.

Again, it'd be great to have volunteers for various communities. Don't think that because someone has volunteered for one (Etsy: Esther) that we can't also use you there too.
Esther

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Etsy Thread.

Second Etsy thread started by Marketa, 526+ posts!

Because of the way the Etsy forums are setup, someone needs to comment at least once a day or it will eventually be so buried no one will see it. It currently has 180 comments and new people find it with each bump.

Last edited by Esther on Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jody

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the iPetition website:
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/economicimpactsofCPSIA/

It's pretty plain jane, I can't find a means of formatting with HTML. I'll look into that tomorrow. Anyway, we can start distributing this to all our blogs, listservers, Etsy forums, and eBay discussion groups, etc.

I set it up so that people would not have to provide their email addresses. I did this with the idea in mind that some folks would be reluctant to leave an "electronic paper trail" given the tough choices we may be forced to make come February. Besides, the idea behind the iPetition is to create a show of strength in numbers, which just requires signatures, not emails.

Please note that this is a scaled-down version of the letter I'm posting for us to send to the CPSC. I think we still need a hard-copy letter writing campaign. There is a way to put links on the iPetition. So, once I noodle it out, I'm going to see if Kathleen can post our letter on the publicly accessible part of her blog so that folks can link to it from the iPetition to print and send.

In the meantime, don't hesitate to start sending this link.
Esther

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally my message showed up on the MomPack List. I see that JoLynn Francis from Angel Bottom Boutique linked to the latest FI blog on the list. This is a private list of over 5,000 mompreneurs and they are very protective of the content on the list. I was worried that my message would be deemed to political because I hadn't seen it. Anyway. It's there and should get a lot of attention.

(Sorry no link because it is a private list.)
Jenny Johnson

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate everyone's efforts. I just read about it last night and am nervous and dismayed. I have blogged about this on my blog, I have a new temp url: http://www.cheekyandswank.com/newsite/?page_id=11
I also am working hard to get the Twitter community informed.
Twitter is a pretty new powerful thing.....They took down Mortin last weekend, if you heard about that.
Keep up the good work and so will I.

PS. Kathleen, just noticed you're a Fairy Godmother for Startup Princess. Thanks! I'm a new Princess. I attended their last retreat and it was amazing.
April

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I signed the ipetition and I have been keeping an eye on the etsy forums and giving any CIPSIA threads there a bump. I checked the switchboards forum ("creative women in business") and saw that they have a thread going over there already.

http://www.theswitchboards.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=29694
Esther

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Etsy thread from Marionscott77. My original thread I think is going to fall off soon. I will be starting a new one if this thread also falls off. I think some people are starting to take notice.
Esther

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My original Etsy thread has fallen off. The good thing is that there has been a lot of attention to the subject recently with more than one thread. If you would like to comment just click on over to the forum and do a search for either CPSC or CPSIA.

Many more are signing the petition, writing letters, blogging, and other online awareness activities. I hope the CPSC gets flooded.

Anyway, my posting at the MomPack went virtually unnoticed. I am rather surprised by that.
Esther

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Facebook Group dedicated to changing the CPSIA.
Eric H
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidentally, the Wikipedia entry is now up. You can access it through either the CPSIA or the title (Consumer Protection Safety Improvement Act).
Jesica Milton

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to add that I composed an email to the provost of my school (New York Fashion Academy). He is in contact with hundreds of students and alumni, plus many other people in the industry. I gave him links to the pertinent info and urged him to forward my email along to his entire contact list. Hopefully this should add to the grassroots efforts.
Jennifer Taggart

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:14 am    Post subject: My blog entry on the CPSIA Reply with quote

Here's my post on the CPSIA:

http://www.thesmartmama.com/bg/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=195&Itemid=23
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lisa V originally posted this elsewhere, moved here

Quote:
Mothering Magazine has alerted their subscribers:

http://mothering.com/sections/action_alerts/toy-safety-legislation.html
Pamela

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have signed up to get updates to the CPSIA webpage as they occur so I just got this one. OMG They don't answer the hottest questions going around the entire internet, instead they answer a question on regulating children's drugs.

New Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) on Section 102 Certification and the Poison Prevention Packaging Act

http://www.cpsc.gov/about/cpsia/faq/faq.html#102pppa

Pam
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! We made BOING BOING!!!!! Feel free to trot over and reinforce it with your two cents.

Also Daddytypes.com.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: