FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Formatting your posts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> Public: Forum Management
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Formatting your posts Reply with quote

Here is a chart listing bbcode tags that you can use to format your posts in the forum. This is helpful if you have issues with quoting, inserting images and posting hyperlinks.

If you need or prefer more hand holding, see this one.

Also, there are browser extensions that can help if you're not inclined to remember tags/switches. I use Chrome currently; the extension I use is bbCodeInsert

edited 7/31/19 to update links.

Last edited by Kathleen F. on Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:19 am    Post subject: How to add a hyperlink to your entry Reply with quote

How to add a hyperlink to your entry.

Pasting in urls -the ones that are long- make the window wrap too long. If you have to scroll from side to side in a window, it's because a url is too long. So here's how to keep things neat and tidy. There's two ways to do it. This is the easiest one.

Write your entry. When you're ready to add your hyperlink, highlight the text that you want to be a link. Then click URL in the menu portion of the window. For example, you've written:
Quote:
it appears that Cinderella lost her shoe

and you want "Cinderella" to be the hyperlink. Using your mouse, highlight "Cinderella". Then click the URL button in the drafting window. The result will look like this:
Code:
it appears that [url]Cinderella[/url] lost her shoe

Find the first tag which is [url].
After the "l" and before the ] (the closing bracket of the tag), add an equals sign "=" and then paste the url. Ex:
Code:
[url=http://www.siteyouwanttolinkto.com]

The whole phrase will look like this:
Code:
it appears that [url=http://www.siteyouwanttolinkto.com]Cinderella[/url] lost her shoe

and you're done. :)

Another way: if you are using FireFox (recommended) you can use an add-on widget to do this for you. It's called bbcode. I couldn't do without it.

Last edited by Kathleen F. on Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Lisa DOWNTOWN JOEY

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

testing 1, 2, 3...LOL

my website in under construction
April Femrite

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I am stuck on how to hyperlink to my line sheets.
Here is what I type in - I am trying to have "women's08" be the link to where my PDF is on my website and it's not showing up as a link:

[url=http://naturallybambooclothing.com/files/naturallybamboo/women's%20line%20sheet(2).pdf]Women's08[/url]

What am I doing wrong???
Parul

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

April, it's the apostrophe in the link, and also the set of parentheses right before .pdf. Can you move the file so this link doesn't include apostrophes and parentheses?

I'm sure there is another way around this, but I don't know it.
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If none of your hyperlinks, bolding, italics, images etc will display, check your profile. The radio button that says "Always allow BBCode" should be set to YES (the default). There's no reason I know of to disallow this option but am open to hearing contrary opinions.

Also be certain you have not checked the "Disable BBCode in this post" option at the bottom of the comment editing window. Generally, just leave these options alone unless something like emoticons annoy you, in which case you can select "disable smilies in this post".
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject: Using the quote feature. Reply with quote

Quoting text in replies
There are two ways to quote a source.
1. Hit "quote" button above the message window.
Code:
[quote]
and the above will appear in the message window. The quote button will now have an asterisk beside it. This means you have inserted a tag but haven't closed it.
Paste the text you want to quote immediately following quote bracketed. Example:
Code:
[quote]Roses are red

You need to close it now. Add
Code:
[/quote]
to the line. Example:
Code:
[quote]Roses are red.[/quote]
This appears as:
Quote:
Roses are red
You may notice that the asterisk beside "quote" will have disappeared.

If you want to cite someone, the code is
Code:
[quote="Kathleen F."]Roses are red[/quote]
which appears as:
Kathleen F. wrote:
Roses are red
Meaning, add an = sign right after 'quote' and put the source's name within quotation marks.

There is a post in forum management that shows how to use the most common codes. I updated the links there today. There are also browser extensions that do this stuff using right click (windows). I'm currently using chrome so the widget I'm using is bbCodeInsert.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> Public: Forum Management All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: