FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Did I miss something new?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kelli Martin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject: Did I miss something new? Reply with quote

Dumbfounded by the stupidity of the CPSIA regs, I put my children's line on hold and just walked away last fall. I had thought component testing was on the horizon and decided to stop stressing out and just wait for reason and sound judgement to prevail.

I'm not finding any new information since about a year ago... I hope I missed something... Are regs for children's clothing really unchanged despite all the sumissions and comments small businesses have made?

Is component testing still not approved?

If any of you are manufacturing children's apparel, I'd love to hear how you have managed to stay afloat in light of the testing requirements. I'm at a loss and hate to see my dream die... just don't know how to proceed.

Thanks so much!
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kelli

I posted on the blog about it. Basically, kidswear people are in good shape, it's other kinds of producers who are in trouble. As long as you avoid embellishments that invite scrutiny (plastics/ phthalates, bling etc) you're okay. You're allowed to use certifications from vendors upstream which should reduce if not eliminate duplicate testing.

So jump back in, the water is fine.
Kelli Martin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whew -- what a relief. Would you mind posting a link to that blog? I searched the site but couldn't find it.

Thanks again for everything you do... don't know how you keep up with it all!
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know which it is but you can peruse [url=//fashion-incubator.com/category/cpsia/]the CPSIA category[/url].
Esther

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would still exercise caution as there are still some major rules coming out in the next few months. The CPSC plans full enforcement in Feb 2011, which may entail changes in the status quo (My instinct is that some exemptions may no longer be allowed, but I can't say for sure). You will still have to test some items, like buttons and snaps, keep records, test reports, and certificates.

I haven't restarted my line, and probably never will, because the rules are still not finished being written. The only hope is for a repeal, which people tell me will never happen.
DarbyC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I"m also in the same boat as Esther. When I first found out about the law, it completely threw me... not only in terms of finances, but also emotionally. I just couldn't wrap my brain around it, and that scared me. Add to that the economy tanking, and my expensive tween swimsuits just didn't seem like a good idea anymore. Whenever I think about it, I've got a mix of sadness and regret, and embarassment, too, especially when I found myself having to explain the CPSIA to anyone. I applaud those who were able to persevere.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: