FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Activism CPSIA: TRADE GROUPS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Activism CPSIA: TRADE GROUPS Reply with quote

As per Jody's suggestion, we're splitting the activism thread into five areas which are:
1. ONLINE: Distribution of materials through the Internet to get our message out there for the purpose of generating support at the grassroots level (through blogs, listservers, discussion groups on Etsy, eBay, posting iPetitions, etc.)
2. CONGRESS: Flooding our Congressional representatives with comments
3. CPSC: Flooding CPSC with comments
4. MEDIA: Generating media interest in our concerns
5. TRADE GROUPS: Working through and alongside professional trade organizations to get our message heard

Jody wrote:
I�ve seen a whole lot of good ideas on this thread on how to fight this thing. But, I�m finding it increasingly difficult to follow everyone�s efforts. Waging an effective battle requires strategy. To that end, I�d like to recommend that we get a little more organized to increase our effectiveness.

<snipped> What I�m suggesting is to use separate threads on this forum much like you would create subcommittees under a Board. This way, when any of us completes a task such as contacting a specific media outlet, posting on a specific blog, etc., we can post to the appropriate thread. Likewise, when each of us is working on something, we can go straight to that thread to find out what�s been done so far so that no one ends up spinning their wheels. We have lots of energy and connections here � we need to use both very wisely to avoid burn out.

It occurs to me that we really need to target our concerns about this legislation to the audience we are appealing to. To that end, I am drafting different responses for us to send to different audiences. </snipped>

Anyway, here please post your online activist activities and include links. If someone posts a link, please, follow the link and add your two cents! Don't leave someone hanging alone, they need back up.

A word about trade groups. You don't need to lobby them and say "pay attention to us", or "what are you doing for us". They are responsible to their members so if you're not a member, they don't owe you anything. Iow, check your sense of entitlement at the door. It's not that they don't care, they're spending 18 hour days on this as it is.

Rather, it would be better to write them and introduce yourself. Tell them that we are focusing on the hearts and minds of consumers in the grassroots and what we are doing (we need a letter). You might connect with someone who may pass you information. BE CAREFUL with what you do with it. You may not be able to post it without permission so be sure to ask if you can (I have a huge file of personal correspondence going back and forth from the AAFA to the General Counsel of the CSPC that I don't have permission to share). More effectively tho, we need people to agree to monitor those sites for updates.
April Femrite

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I got myself signed up for a CPSIA webninar provided by the Outdoor Industry Association. Here is what they will cover:

On Thursday, December 4 at 2:00 p.m. (MST), OIA, in partnership with the Customs and International Trade law firm of Grunfeld, Desiderio, Lebowitz, Silverman & Klestadt (GDLSK) will host a live Webinar to explain the impact of the recently passed Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA) on your business and answer your questions.

The Webinar will focus on the new requirements and potential penalties associated with the law, including the unique implications for the outdoor industry. All imported outdoor products from apparel and footwear to tents, sleeping bags and backpacks are subject to the new requirements and you may face penalties for non-compliance.

I will write up a summary of the webinar after the 4th. I am really hoping it will provide some useful information.
Miracle
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi April,

Where did you sign up for that webinar, can you give a link? I didn't see it under webinars.

Oddly enough, I am actually a member of the OIA
April Femrite

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Miracle-
If you go the left hand side of the OIA website and click under the Association News - Nov 21, 2008 - WebNews 11/21/2008, there will be a link in there to register for the webinar.

I had no idea this was another sector you were a part of - way cool!
Miracle
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I'm not. I joined, years ago, for the FedEx discount.
yellowzeppelin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: I've contacted Craft Magazine Reply with quote

Yesterday I sent an email about this to the editor of Craft Magazine, which is a big supporter of Etsy. She emailed me back that they are working on a response to the legislation. Don't know if that will be a story in the magazine or if they are planning to send in a comment to the CPSA or what, but I got the sense that they are aware of the problem.
Elizabeth Griffiths
Renewing Member
Renewing Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ Ive noticed alot of spam coming through lately..
Alison Cummins
Official Archivist
Official Archivist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:41 am    Post subject: Spam Reply with quote

Ha! I can tell you weren't around last year when the CPSIA forum was very active. Val Burner had the gross and unenviable but very necessary job of getting up very early every morning to delete all the PICTURES that had sprung up in the night. Yuck.

Because CPSIA is of such broad concern, the CPSIA forum is open: non-members can post in it. Spambots are non-members, therefore they can post in it. Unfortunately, they take advantage of this loophole.

Kathleen has had to close some of the threads because they were inactive but for some reason attracting lots of spambots.
Elizabeth Griffiths
Renewing Member
Renewing Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a pain hey, I get loads of spam in my inbox everyday, even with specific keywords and phrases blocked out it still gets through.
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all, please don't post a comment following a spam post. We had a thread explaining why but I don't see it now. The reason is, if you post after a spam, a member's name pops up when I click "most recent posts" so I don't know it's there. If I see a non member name in the list, I always check it out. Patricia has really had me on the run this week not being logged in, meaning her posts were marked as "Guest" Smile.

I didn't know these spams were here until just now.
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, looks like I have to close this one too. The spam just won't let up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: