FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My XRF Testing Experiences
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Valerie Burner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible that the buttons are getting a false-positive reading like the soaps in this video?

http://www.drbronner.com/punk_rock_soap_opera.html
Fabric dyer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Dye tested positive for lead? Reply with quote

Could you post more information on the red-dyed fabrics that tested positive? As far as I know no dye in common use today contains lead. If it were a pigment on the fabric I could believe that lead might be present, but I really wonder about it with dye.
Textilesavvy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: 3rd party testing Reply with quote

There was some confusion on page #1... 3rd party testing for LEAD IN SUBSTRATES is not required until Aug.14, 2009.

However, 3rd party testing for LEAD IN SURFACE COATING has been required since Dec.21, 2008.

You must have an accredited lab (listed on the CPSC homepage) do the wet chemistry testing for every style and every colorway within a style for LEAD IN SURFACE COATING.
Jennifer, Thesmartmama

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: XRF Testing Reply with quote

Textilesavvy - I don't think there was any confusion about allowing XRF for surface coating under the CPSIA. Most forums users are well award that 3rd party accredited testing is required to satisfy the CPSIA for paints and coatings for 16 CFR 1303 compliance.

I wasn't saying that it was an approved method for the CPSIA, just commenting on findings with XRF testing over last couple of years.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came across this blog written by Olivia of Baby Candy who organized a lead testing party: http://cpsiacheerleader.com/
She has info on "what worked & what didn't" and what steps she has followed to create her very own "reasonable testing program".
Charlotte

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: lead in fabric dyes Reply with quote

I attended the meeting yesterday at CSPC with the American Apparel & Footwear Assn, the primary purpose of which seemed to be to lobby CSPC to exclude textiles as a whole from component testing. Not nearly broad enough in my mind, but then I was simply a peon there to observe.

There was a very interesting presentation by a scientist from the Hosiery Technology Center. (Please forgive me if I use the wrong terminology. I'm a retailer, not a manufacturer/dyer/scientist.)

They actually tried to use some very old dye formulas that used lead as mordants to try to infuse lead into a product, a square of sock material which they dyed with bright red (British redcoat) dye. They only found two of these old time formulas in all the books they checked, one of which at the end of the process left lead out of the product but as a separate compound in the bottom of the beaker (they were lab geeks...) They found inconsequential amounts of lead in the unwashed red-dyed product and none in the once-washed product.

The second formula they used was apparently abandoned in factories years ago, not because it presented a lead risk to consumers, but because it presented a lead risk to the factory workers who used it. This one yielded the same results -- no lead in the finished product, which they passed around in a baggie and all of us handled. As they explained, using lead as a mordant to help set the dye was very unsuccessful, because the control sample, using the same dye without the mordant, was much better.

For what it's worth...tossed into the discussion of dyes and textiles and testing....

I suspect, based on the other discussions that I heard yesterday, specifically that of Coats and Clarks related to dyeing of yarn, that if products are failing via XRF technology, it may either be impurities in the dyes that would likely wash out or something else in the garment that is causing them to fail.
Lisa DOWNTOWN JOEY

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quickie post re my XRF testing...

I not only tested my boys'clothing line, but other stuff in my sewing studio for lead.

All of my fabrics passed...everything from cotton, chenille, silk, rayon, lycra, poly knits, etc.

Tested lots of my vintage lace...all passed. However, those w/ beading tested between 22ppm and 92ppm. Sequins tested lead-free.

All YKK zippers (tape, zipper stops and zipper pulls) passed. Note: YKK zipper PULLS tested 199ppm - 249ppm. Pre-purchased sweat jacket zipper pulls tested between 176ppm - 241ppm.

Most metal snaps passed. However, I had trouble getting readings on some of the metal snaps. So anything that failed will be sent to Jennifer Taggart for retesting.
Mary Beth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting that, Lisa. And congrats!
mooboos

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Rhinestones Reply with quote

Hello ev1...any word on testing korean rhinestones?
EQUIPCO

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: XRF Analyzers in stock Reply with quote

KraftyMommas wrote:
Hey Red. Did you call AJAX?? That is who I called. 713-789-4149
They were ready to rent me a gun and train me how right there on the spot. No license, no papers, no nothing. I explained the intent etc.

As far as being 3rd party tested, from what I understand, this does not have to be done until August 2009. So, until then, the XRF is considered a "reasonable" testing.
As of today, all 3 guns at Ajax are out in different states. (I called today to see when one will be available)
When using the gun, you need to take pictures of the item, scan each component, each thread, fabric, buttons, zipper, etc and make notes of the readings on the gun. Some guns allow you to download the information to your pc and then you correlate all the information for each piece and make a "report" to include with the sale or to the retailer.

If you are in need of XRF Rental try EQUIPCO, a factory authorized rental house for Innov-X. We have them in stock and have an easy to remember number 1-888-234-5678.

When you rent an XRF analyzer from EQUIPCO you will recieve a rental instrument ready to use for your application. We provide free training and configuration at any of our locations along with discrete secure handling of your data. All of our instruments are shipped overnight and you will only be charged for the days you use the instrument.

visit our XRF rental page at:

http://www.equipcoservices.com/rentals/soil-monitory/xrf-analyzers.html

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: XRF Testing Reply with quote

FYI, we had one of our red fabrics come up 300 ppm for lead with XRF tesing by a certified lead tester. We took it to a lab and had more expensive/sensitive testing done and it came out below 10 ppm! I'm not sure why. it was the same exact peice of fabric. I am guessing that the red dye was all on the surface of the fabric and testing the fabric as a whole made all the difference. This fabric was made in China. The moral is to second-guess your positive results!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fyi-with an xrf, clear Swarovski crystal flat backs tested high. With 3rd party accredited lab (specifically Intertek), clear Swarovski crystal flat backs (approx 250-300 pieces at size 7ss) tested at 10ppm for lead. Yep! 10ppm=cpsia safe for lead content.
PENultimate Leotards

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's really interesting about the Swarovski crystals. Doesn't Swarovski admit that their crystals are 30% lead? That would make them a lot more than 600 ppm. Or does the lead not show up in the testing, because the lead is lead oxide and part of the crystal matrix?

I understand that the wet testing involves immersing the item in a mild acid (to simulate stomach acid), leaving it there for several hours and then testing to see how much lead leached out. So perhaps by this testing, the lead really does not come out of a lead oxide crystal. That would be exactlyl what Swarovski has been saying all along.

I certainly am not selling anything with crystals at the moment. But I know many companies which still are.

I would think that if this information is true (not doubting it) the Swarovski company would be all over it, and petitioning the CPSC to exempt their products.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: