FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Read the nastygram I got from Rep Schakowsky
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AV

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The good news is that someone in Congress is reading your website. Maybe for one bad reader you will get two good readers.

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." -Mark Twain
Sarah Manello

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: are we lost? google maps...where are we??? Reply with quote

I am outraged that she chose to exploit the deaths of children by mentioning them in this way. There is no question in my mind she used their deaths as a "shock and awe" technique to make you the big, bad guy who is harming children. So that anyone reading her correspondence will overlook any details of the issue and just see innocent children who have been harmed. Those deaths were in no way directly related to this legislation and you have NEVER that I recall questioned all safety legislation just the effectiveness and ability to adhere to this specific legislation. To the contrary of her insinuation I felt you have encouraged businesses of all size to use safer methods and materials.

I am disgusted that she is exploiting these deaths as a way to punctuate her point, especially when her point is revoking free speech. The statement made by the tombstone was not a personal attack or threat on any individual or group so I don't understand why she is requesting the removal of it.

If Congressman Schakowsky wanted to write you a personal note to convey her disapproval of your graphic choices then she should have not chosen her professional letterhead to do so. By making this statement as a member of congress seems to me a misuse of power. She reserves the right as an individual to dislike what you write, just as we reserve the right to say it. When she steps into the role as a member of congress I see her request as a threat.

I feel the need to check my location on google maps because I am wondering when exactly I left The United States of America for a country that restricted free speech.
LouOSET

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Fashion and Motorcycles Reply with quote

Dear Kathleen.
I'm the only motorcycle industry person on CPSIA-central. I support you wholeheartedly. You, Rick, and Brian were my lifeline back in late December when I first found out about the CPSIA and no-one else, even my husband who is co-owner of our little bike business, could see the implications of this law for the MC industry (maybe Honda and the other Big Boys could but they weren't talking). You gave me information, explanations, and peace of mind that I wasn't alone in this.
The issues that face our industries are the same. Only the end products are different. We use vinyl, plastics, but instead of your rhinestones we have steel.
The tombstone was a perfect symbol for the CPSIA, for the needless deaths of small business. It is not disrespectful of the children that have died from faulty products. That failure is the responsibility the Government for not funding the CPSC properly all these years.
Please keep doing want you are doing. There are a lot of people who depend on you and value your input in the CPSIA discussion. Think of Congresswoman Schakowsky’s attention as a compliment, it means they are taking notice of you, and can’t fight back by justifying the monster law they created so have to resort to this kind of criticism. Think of bullies in the playground!
I know this is misquoted but the highest form of patriotism is standing up and criticizing your government. I’m British we have had a lot longer history of our government messing up, hence I’m far more cynical of power, and I’m impressed that you’ve got their attention!
Keep up the fight!
Louise
happymom4

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She's scared, so she's fighting dirty.

My first thought, before reading ANY of the other comments was: "What about all the kids who are going to die, or nearly die, because their parents have lost their only source of income, or the kids who are going to be deprived of clothes and books and toys that WOULD NOT HAVE KILLED THEM due to this crazy law to "protect" them?

Kathleen, indeed, be careful. I have heard stories that involved people standing up to big gov't or big biz that had very sad endings. I APPLAUD you for what you are doing, but be careful. . . .
Tracy D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when they have nothing better to say they have to say...."do it for the children"
annika

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listing the kids' deaths was very low. Those deaths are tragic, but they would never have been prevented by redundant lead testing of finished units of textile products, for example. How on earth are there people who still don't get that the way the law is written it simply does not increase safety but does increase business failure.
Sue T.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: letter Reply with quote

Tristan Benz wrote:
Interesting take Sue T. - she is one of the cosponsors of the bill http://www.thomas.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d110:h.r.04040:

I have to confess - this was the first time I actually read the title of the bill:

"To establish consumer product safety standards and other safety requirements for children's products..."

Okay, maybe they got partway there, if we give them a whole lot of leniency...

"...and to reauthorize and modernize the Consumer Product Safety Commission. "

Yes!!! It's a p*ssing contest! Thought so. That's why they are all over Nord. Dang. No wonder this whole bill sucks big hairy rocks and no one wants to step up and do anything about it.

You know, I love DC but sometimes I hate Washington.
Gidget

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When they begin to use fear tactics to squelch freedom of speech and on congressional letterhead - There's a much bigger problem here. Smacks of communist rhetoric.

'Tone down the rhetoric' coming from a member of Congress - Please!

I am looking forward to your posting about it - Can't wait to link to it!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: About "Danny" Reply with quote

The letter is beyond silly. Case in point, "Danny," the child who was killed by a collapsing crib. The crib was recalled in 1993, Danny was caught in it and died in 1998. Five years later!

Furthermore, it makes sense that perhaps cribs should be checked to make sure they won't collapse with a child inside-- this is a reasonable danger to be concerned with. But that doesn't justify checking fabric for lead, and many of the other things the CIPSA law requires.

The Magnetix toy that killed "Kenny" nearly killed many children before the CPSC and the manufacturer bothered to act. The CPSC apparently was unable to do anything because of lack of adequate funding and staffing. The toy was also, one should note, for older children.

Jarnell and the lead charm-- lead has been illegal for years. Importantly, the charm was from a bracelet that came with HIS MOTHER's shoes.

"Liam"-- again, this is a crib design issue. Apparently the CPSC had reports of three deaths from this crib design before there was a recall.

One wonders what the Congresswoman was thinking when she wrote that letter.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you provide the documentation of those sad issues you just mentioned.

i would love to add these to my addresses concerning this, but of course, it can not be a he said, she said kind of thing.
DeputyHeadmistress

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Misplaced optimism Reply with quote

Quote:
One wonders what the Congresswoman was thinking when she wrote that letter.

To my fellow guest: I think perhaps your use of the word 'thinking' is overly optimistic.
PENultimate Leotards

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, Kathleen, please let us know when it is okay to share your letter. I post a lot of information from your forums to other forums, such as eBay and Etsy. I also share information with a large circle of business acquaintances in my city and around the country in the sport of gymnastics. I encourage those people to keep themselves up-to-date by giving the web adresses of reputable websites, who are sharing CPSIA information and encouraging activism.

Second, DeputyHeadmistress is correct. Me thinks Ms. Schkvoky needs to take a course in LOGIC.

Thirdly, I feel like Steve Martin during the "joke scene" in the movie "Roxanne"
Envious: Oooo, I wish I were you. Gosh. To be able to kiss your own butt.

These politicians in Washington surround themselves with people, who tell them that everything they do is wonderful. They don't like it when they get a dose of reality.

Fourthly, Pity: Is our poor little congresswoman in Washington is so busy that you don't have time to do your own research. So you are spoon fed (silver spoon mind you, no ordinary dinnerware for you) the tripe that the Consumer Advocate Groups dish out ... and you believe every word.

Fifthly, When all else fails ... play the CHILD card.

What about adults? If you care so much about the health of Americans, why did you stop at age 12? The European Union bans lead regardless of age of the person, who uses the product. Are we not as good as the European Union?

Sixthly ...see [url=//fashion-incubator.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/penultimate.txt]this file[/url] summarizing research I did on EU standards.
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pen, I realize you were creating separate entries for each point for effect, but it's not registering or inconveniencing the congresswoman, just us. So, I hope it's okay but I put all six entries into the one post. Also, your sixth post was quite lengthy and OT but because it was interesting, I didn't want to delete it. Being too ill, tired and cranky to look for the right thread, I pasted it into a text file and uploaded it to my server if anyone wants to read it. Hope you don't mind.
Mary Beth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kathleen, that letter was just plain mean!!! It is so awfully mean and uncivilized I just had to break my forum word fast to give you a {{{{{{cyber hug}}}}}}

Feel better soon. You've worked so hard!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a wildly inaccurate characterization of your thoughtful discussion of the issue and just plain mean. But even worse, it certainly feels intimidating, and as such is something that needs to be made public. Public officials are not permitted to discourage free speech.

Incidentally, here is a link to Schakowsky's official press release about the implementation of the law: http://www.house.gov/apps/list/press/il09_schakowsky/pr_leadphthalates_021009.shtml

Now in contrast to your writings on the subject, it is full of hyperbolic and one-sided rhetoric.

And thank you for following this issue so closely. I don't make clothes, but I am a children's book writer and illustrator and I'm appalled at the excessive reach of this law and the harm that will be done to children in the name of helping them.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: