FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CPSC announcements and updates
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J C Sprowls

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I give up.

Look, sitting on committees that feed into the Federal Registry are cumbersome and exhausting. You should really give it a try, sometime.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me by reading the press release it says you do not have to test at this time, but of course you need to know if there is lead in your product, so if you know your product is within the limits you would not have to test at this time and you would be safe. Is that not correct?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But how could someone "know" without testing? That makes no sense.
Gidget

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the point. This is a 'stay' of enforcement. (holdin' back the dawgs) Not a reversal of the law that has already been passed. You still need to test to make sure you are in compliance but don't have to pass along the certificate for a year, is how I read it.

Seems to me it's a nice way for them to fly under the radar (or as consumerist reports - kick the can down the road) for awhile, while everyone talks it out. I hope the talks bring about some fruitful results for the manufacturers and DE's. Hopefully everyone can keep it 'above' the radar and get the law amended.

*edited* lol
DeputyHeadmistress

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: knowing without testing Reply with quote

I think a few people could safely say they 'know' without testing. Knitters of baby booties and yarn toys without accessories, skirts with no fastenings, felted toys with no buttons, or only wooden buttens- these sorts of things maybe?
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw, welcome Headmistress!

okay y'all, just calm down, take a breath. Basically, we won a big battle but we still have a fight in front of us.

Before, CPSC was basically held by the throat by the USPIRG, Consumer's Union etc. Now there seems to be enough of a ground swell (in addition, one senate bill proposal and something else I can't say) that if the CPSC takes a chance and sticks their neck out to do what they genuinely think is the right thing to do, they're going to have back up -YOU. You must come through for them.

What none of you can do is rest easy. Do not presume this is fixed. You cannot pay back the people who went to bat for you by sitting on your butt.

Summary: enjoy the weekend, take some pleasure in it but we still have work to do. Maybe we'll be more effective and businesslike about it now that passions are tamed somewhat and for heaven's sake, STOP this big vs little populist rhetoric.
Danica Gibson

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kathleen,

What do you suggest as the best plan of action at this point? Besides responding to the CPSC when comments are allowed (in regard to the proposed stay of enforcement) I am assuming we should continue to write our representatives including Waxman and Rush. Should we focus our letters to state our support of the stay of enforcement along with the support of Demint's proposed bill? Do we write the USPIRG & Consumer's Union or is that a waste of time? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-edited for spelling-
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danica Gibson wrote:
What do you suggest as the best plan of action at this point?

If you're a mom, there's times you really want your kids to take a nap just so you can take one...I feel like that now. So, be kind to each other, see where you can lend a hand and be helpful in the forum. I need a week I think to just catch up with today. I have to catch up here and on the blog (and my mail) before I go out of town Monday. And I still have a meeting with my congressman tomorrow.
Danica Gibson

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, I get it Very Happy Have a safe trip. I think I'll enjoy the weekend free of CPSIA obsessing and go at it again next Monday.

Maybe I'll finish reading my new book Wink
mirage

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:19 am    Post subject: a suggested approach for future action Reply with quote

a focus on providing specific suggestions that help to guide those making the rules, instead of empassioned pleas for help, may delivery desirable results. Auto-generated comments are a waste of everyone's time. If the dialogue is not constructive, it must be destructive.

It is not necessary to post this but I thought Kathleen might consider sharing this approach with her audience.
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: a suggested approach for future action Reply with quote

mirage wrote:
a focus on providing specific suggestions that help to guide those making the rules, instead of empassioned pleas for help,

Yes Mirage, that's always been my approach altho I had not thought to label the context that way. But you're right, Slavery or Bravery, pick one. I prefer Bravery most of the time rather than being a poster child for victimhood.
AV

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kathleen,

I found this press briefing on Whitehouse.org, dated 1/30/09 by Press Secretary Robert Gibbs. It looks like Nord will be replaced very soon.

"Q There have been new revelations that call into question the ability of the FDA to keep our nation's food supply safe with the salmonella epidemic. More than 500 people are sick, more than half of them are children, eight people have died. On the campaign trail last year President Obama said as the parent of two young daughters, "There are few issues more important to me than ensuring the safety of the food that our children consume."

So what are you guys doing about this?

MR. GIBBS: Well, obviously we've read reports, I think on the AP wire today, about trouble at FDA last year. We've certainly read reports -- and I think the Justice Department is looking into the business practices of the company in Georgia. And I know the President hopes in the next few days to announce a pick for commissioner at FDA to address all of what you said."

I think the revelations have no doubt been alarming, that whether it was our own regulatory system or a company that repeatedly found salmonella in its own testing would continue to ship out that product is beyond disturbing for millions of parents. The President, like I said, in the coming days will have a new commissioner at FDA and hopefully we'll be able to announce also picks at things like the Consumer Product Safety Commission and places like that to put in place a stricter regulatory structure to ensure that the type of thing that happened in this case doesn't happen again.

Here is the link: http://www.whitehouse.gov/the_press_office/Press_Briefing_1-30-09/
mom4life

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: What to tell my vendors Reply with quote

I am a retailer and many of my vendors are writing me very excited. I am working on writing up a newsletter to send out to them in an effort to help point out some of the important points that they will want to remember such as the fact that we all still have to be compliant after 2/10/09. There are two things that seem like they may have changed with this "stay". Please let me know if this seems accurate: If a vendor has not yet had their product tested would just testing each component of your product now qualify rather than testing every SKU? This would certainly be a cheaper option. Also, previously if they could not rely on the documentation from their suppliers for their product's documents, they had to test the product themselves and have their OWN General Conformity Certificates (GCC). Perhaps now if they have GCC documentation for every part of the product from their suppliers, would this suffice?
Charlotte Reppy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Request for Emergency Stay of Effective Date Posted at CSPC Reply with quote

CPSC has posted the request for an emergency 6 month stay of the February 10 implementation date from NAM's CSPC Coalition, which includes the Fashion Incubator Association along with 66 other key associations. While this still has to be voted upon, it should have far more significant effects than the stay for testing and certification.
dillybopdesigns

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about this latest news.....undyed AND dyed fabrics will now NOT be subject to penalties EVEN IF they (unknowingly) contain more than 600 ppm of lead....is that because the CPSC finally believes textiles really ARE leadfree??

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09120.html
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: