FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AAFA mtg with the CPSC (cross posted)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jennifer Thompson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: AAFA mtg with the CPSC (cross posted) Reply with quote

This was posted in one of my sewing groups and I thought I would post it here, in case others had not seen it. (I looked before posting, but didn't see it anywhere in the forum, so please forgive if it's redundant) It's very long but full of a lot of good info/talking points. It seems *maybe* they're getting the message that this blanket-style law is not the best route and that many items and/or components of the apparel/accessories, etc. industry already test well below allowed limits.

What I gathered from watching this was that the items that did present problems or exceed lead limits, often, were component parts such as zippers, pulls, snaps, buttons, etc.; both metal and plastic. Never fabric, thread, yarn or the like.

The reps that spoke at this meeting were from the testing divisions of major retailers/manufacturers such as Wal Mart, JC Penney, The Children's Place, Coats & Clark, etc. Some explain in much detail their standards, procedures, results and any action taken, when needed.

I really hope they figure out the best way to make this law work for everyone involved and affected by its implementation. It seems at least some of the decision makers are on the right track...let's hope that's true.

I'll stop rambling now -
Here's the link:

http://www.cpsc.gov/vnr/asfroot/apparel01222009.asx
Charlotte Reppy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the meeting I attended that I mentioned in [url=//fashion-incubator.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=24090#24090]my post Fri Jan 23, 2009 in the XRF testing section[/url]. Interesting that the woman from Walmart chose to have her presentation excluded from the video. It was really the most compelling data of all for demonstrating that there's no lead in textiles, although it did show lead test failures in other components.
Pixie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the link for the WalMart "slideshow" from this meeting. Not much info, but fort hose who want to see it.

http://www.cpsc.gov/ABOUT/Cpsia/walmart.pdf
Pam

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The video is great information and shows me how I felt all along, fabric is OK! Thanks for posting Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: Fabric is OK Reply with quote

Since fabric so clearly is proven lead-free, and the data is consistent from everyone who spoke at CPSC meeting, then why isn't the CPSC issuing an exemption for textiles?
The speakers included the stores that sell the most children's apparel in the country -- isn't that enough?

I don't understand the delay in getting fabric ruled exempt.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: