FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

flammability

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suna

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: flammability Reply with quote

Children's sleepwear must meet the children's sleepwear flammability standards. Do blankets for children have to meet flammability standards as well? I've read CPSC site but I don't see any information about blankets. I am little confused about this rule. Thank you in advance!
Esther

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have written about this issue in two blog entries at my blog Design Loft.

Flammability Issues - Children's Sleepwear

Children's Safety and bedding

In short, blankets do need to meet the same flammability guidelines as other fabrics used in apparel.
Suna

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: flammability Reply with quote

Esther, I read your articles. Are you sure that blankets need to meet the same flammability as sleep wears? Many big brands, (Gap, Gymboree, Target, etc) sell all cotton 100 % blankets which don't say "flame-retardant". So I don't think they are chemically treated to make them flame-retardant. There are many manufactures that sell only organic cottons and they make blankets too. Almost all of the receiving blankets (the ones that you swaddle newborns) are cotton 100%. Where did you get the information that blankets need to meet the same flammability as sleep wears?
Esther

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, not the same flammability as sleepwear.

They should meet the same flammability requirements of all wearing apparel. Regular apparel does not have the same requirements as sleepwear. Certain fabrics, cotton especially, need to meet a certain weight limit per square yard or be composed of certain fibers. Just follow the links in my articles for more specific info. Be cautious about cotton chenilles and terry cloth - they should certainly be tested.

I have found no other flammability requirements for blankets.
Suna

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: flammability Reply with quote

Esther, What you wrote all make sense. Thank you so much for sharing!
Textilesavvy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:50 am    Post subject: FLAMMABILITY OF SLEEPWEAR vs BLANKETS Reply with quote

Hi All,
Sleepwear does need to be tested for Flammability:
16 CFR 1615/1616

Blankets DO NOT need to be tested for Flammability in regards to the CPSIA. However, it is a good industry practice to have them tested for ASTM 4151
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all: you don't need to test for flammability if vendor supplied certificates for flammability are available. This requirement remains unchanged.
kurkzee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently came to this article and I'm just surprised that fire retardant sleepwear otoh has harmful chemicals that may stunt children's growth and development than in adults'. Confused
Mark from Denver

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Flammability of children's apparel in general Reply with quote

This question may be outside the scope of CPSIA. I understand that children's sleepwear need to meet flammability requirements.

But what about regular, non-sleepwear children's clothing? Are there flammability requirements? For example, if I import some simple cotton t-shirts to sell them as everyday clothing, do these have flammability requirements/testing that must be met?

Thanks.
Esther

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fabric used in the t-shirts need to meet the same flammability requirements of all wearing apparel. Links are above.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: