FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who will represent us? Not politicians. Maybe Kathleen....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vpz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Who will represent us? Not politicians. Maybe Kathleen.... Reply with quote

I'm a little concerned about saying this out loud, but it's something that's been bugging me for awhile now.

Who will represent us? I don't mean an elected politician. I mean who will represent the diverse aspects of manufacturing so many equally diverse products?

I think it's great that the CPSIA made the top 10 issues to present to the Obama adminstration. My concern (and this is where I hesitate to say anything at all) is that, for example, the Handmade Toy Alliance is the group that seems to have their name most closely associated with that. This isn't criticism of the HTA, but do they have the knowledge to "represent" my small business that doesn't sell any handmade toys whatsoever?

What I'm trying to say is that while I see some movement to maybe getting the CPSIA sort of fixed, I'm curious. If these hearings actually happen, who will be speaking in front of these politicians explaining some of the effects of this law on so many different industries, i.e. apparel, toys, games, books, furniture, etc. I don't know the first thing about making a handmade wood toy, the true production, printing and assembly of a book or the creation of a pattern and sewing a dress. I don't think anyone really knows everything there is to know about manufacturing all of these things and their industry standards. I absolutely know that many politicians including Waxman, Rush and the staff of the CPSC have no clue about these industries either.

My question is how all of these incredibly diverse businesses and manufacturers, from the web-based home business that sells only other companies goods to the larger apparel manufacturers that create their lines so far in advance, going to be represented to affect real change with the CPSIA. Of course, there isn't one perfect person to speak for this unbelievably large group. Just from constantly reading so many forums and articles, I have my personal picks for certain industries (Kathleen Fasanella should probably run for All-Things-Apparel President).

Of course, I admit I am not an expert and wouldn't know how to compile this expert panel to insure the CPSIA gets the overhaul it desperately needs.

In my incredibly humble opinion, the CPSIA needs to be tossed in the trash with the intention of starting from scratch to construct a law that 1) makes sense, 2) actually makes kids' products safer and 3) won't force so many people to lose their dreams and livelihood.

I'm ready to be slammed for some of what I've written here......
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Who will represent us? Not politicians. Maybe Kathleen. Reply with quote

vpz wrote:
I'm ready to be slammed for some of what I've written here......

Rest easy, too tired to respond right now. It'd be nice to know your name tho for a conversation.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Who will represent us? Not politicians. Maybe Kathleen. Reply with quote

vpz wrote:
Who will represent us? I don't mean an elected politician. I mean who will represent the diverse aspects of manufacturing so many equally diverse products?

I think this is a legitimate concern. I have had similar thoughts. We want people who can support us, understand manufacturing on a micro, small, medium and large level, speak intelligently, be prepared, not overly emotional, not too broad, not too narrow. I think Kathleen would be a great representative - has the manufacturing expertise of working in the trenches but also has the common sense/business sense outside of the factory floor. Even if she didn't want to or couldn't perhaps she could help someone else prepare to represent "us".

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote for Kathaleen too. I like what I've seen of her common-sense style. I've seen some people really go off half-cocked on this issues on some forums . . . . scary if they'd represent us!

I do one of a kind, custom orders for people of doll dresses and kids's clothes (along with some pillowcases and such for adults) and CPSIA would totally ruin my business. I sell a 3 piece 18 inch doll outfit for $15.00 . .. you can imagine that I'd have NO buyers after adding in the cost of testing.
vpz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kathleen.
My name is Victoria Zurcher. I own Victoria P. Zurcher Designs (I know, very original business name) and offer my original designs on personalized goods mostly for children including plates, retro lunchboxes and tshirts. I also design custom stationery and invitations as well.
I am having my products tested using the XRF technology to be in compliance for this first deadline. I've decided to take a "wait and see" approach to the third party testing requirements for the August deadline with the hopes that some parts of the CPSIA will change.
Since learning of the effects of the CPSIA a couple of months ago, I have been adding more items for adults. I have tried very hard to use safe materials for all of my products, but I feel I need to really beef up my lines for adults just in case the CPSIA and the requirements for compliance are more than my business can financially bear.
I have worked very hard and been very fortunate to have my business grow quickly this past year. Over 120 shops, boutiques and websites carry my products through my dropship program. Only four have said they expect the proper documentation for compliance from me by February 10th. I have also had several shops tell me not to worry, who is going to find you and my favorite, this law will never "pass". It seems they don't realize it already "passed" and it is already a law.
So this raises another question. If these shops that don't seem to be too worried about testing and maintaining the GCC's on products, should I continue selling to them? Will they be so flippant when their competition exposes them for not testing or keeping proper records for compliance?
Give me a podium and I will ramble on too long! Sometimes I am a glass-half-empty kind of girl that just hopes for the best but prepares for the worst. Congress doesn't do anything in three weeks except vacations. But I am hoping for the best.....
Kathleen, thanks for your hard work!
Alison Cummins
Official Archivist
Official Archivist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victoria,
If you buy the book you will be thrilled to learn that’s exactly the name Kathleen would have picked for you herself!
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Who will represent us? Not politicians. Maybe Kathleen. Reply with quote

vpz wrote:

Okay, there is an ad hoc committee (Coalition For Safe Children's Products) representing divergent interests. We have conferences twice weekly on convos from the congressional hallways, private meetings with representatives, rumors, status reports, projects in the works as well updates on strategy and the like. Included are big and small interests. The strategy is roughly that big interests have the money to lobby congress. Small interests have the voice to annoy congress and alert the media. This is one reason why it is very distressing for me to read divisive rhetoric of large vs small. This is a partnership even if no one knows it exists.

Quote:
My concern ... is that, for example, the Handmade Toy Alliance is the group that seems to have their name most closely associated with that. This isn't criticism of the HTA, but do they have the knowledge to "represent" my small business that doesn't sell any handmade toys whatsoever?

I would argue they do not -on several levels. The leader is a toy store owner with no background in manufacturing. The big problem with him is his rhetoric is very divisive. The advice he dispenses in his newly found role is often erroneous if not irresponsible. His proposals are in direct violation of US treaty and don't have the proverbial snowball's chance in hell. While he enjoys broad based support with populist rhetoric, his credibility is limited owing to his unsophisticated knowledge of economics, manufacturing constraints and international law. I've told him these things as nicely as I could have many times but have largely given up at this point. Since being pulled into the fold as it were, he's become more temperate but his deficits remain striking. I am appalled at the advice he dispenses to sewn products people. Personally, I would never be so presumptuous to advise toy store owners. This sums it up: Unskilled and Unaware of it; How Difficulties in Recognizing One's Own Incompetence Lead to Inflated Self-Assessments

Quote:
...who will be speaking in front of these politicians explaining some of the effects of this law on so many different industries, i.e. apparel, toys, games, books, furniture, etc.

Who will be speaking officially, as in, who testifies before Congress? That's where big industry can help. A panel of nominee candidates is being selected. I don't know who they are but I have my hunches as I've "nominated" a few myself. I am not likely to be one testifying before congress but I am confident- and you should be too- apparel, resale industry and toys will be well represented.

Quote:
Of course, there isn't one perfect person to speak for this unbelievably large group. Just from constantly reading so many forums and articles, I have my personal picks for certain industries (Kathleen Fasanella should probably run for All-Things-Apparel President).

Steve Lamarr will likely speak for us along with a representative manufacturer or two. I suspect one is a 60 year old woman, a small company with @ 40 employees. The point is, the "big" manufacturers are not throwing anyone under the bus. It's the tiny companies doing that. Other than that it's not politically expedient, it's not fair play (why does everyone assume big=bad?) and it's not good for the general business climate.

And while I'm flattered at the suggestion, I don't need to be out front and center. I will continue to support all of "my" people. I do spend a LOT of time working with the media behind the scenes, giving them background info, running down research, email, recommending people to interview in their area ...a totally thankless, invisible job but someone has to do it. This story isn't about me and the selfless marvel of leadership I've concocted at the last minute, it's about all of you. I've been here for all of you since 1995 and I imagine to still be around for another twenty years.

Does any of this provide any reassurances?
vpz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of assurances and then some! You've confirmed many of my thoughts about the Handmade Toy Alliance....unfortunately.
Thank you so much for taking the time to post this reply with information that we all need to know. You've answered my questions perfectly!
I hope the relatively few thank you's and pats on the back you are getting for all of this time and effort you've put into this issue.
From me, thank you. I appreciate being able to read your posts and replies and feel confident I'm being pointed in the right direction.
I will still vote for you as All-Things-Apparel President if you decide to run.
Tina HD

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kathleen, just wanted to add my thanks. This forum is my 'go to' for all things CPSIA. I know you must eat, sleep and breathe cpsia these days. And I thank you for all you've done here.

I hope I'm able to still be around in a few months, as I'd like to join you all formally at that time if so.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

many thanks here too Kathleen!

your site is the one I come to verufy what I read on other sites ... thank you so much for all that you have done & are doing !
Melanie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: Who will represent us? Not politicians. Maybe Kathleen.... Reply with quote

I had to add my thanks too! In all of my emails with friends, family and media, I've pointed to this forum as a great place for information! I can only imagine the time and effort it takes to keep this thing going, along with everything else you are doing! I check this site at least 3-4 times a day, to see if anything new has happened on this issue! We're not done yet, but at least our voices are starting to be heard...I intend to keep shouting, until it's fixed! thanks again!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:47 am    Post subject: Kathleen - You are too smart, sensible and balanced! Reply with quote

Kathleen -- you'd be the ideal candidate to represent this group! I am consistently impressed by your wisdom, your common sense, and the amazing accuracy of your reports. You've taken a disastrously complicated subject and helped untangle the knots. No one else seems to be as reliable as you on the subject of apparel-mfgr and so between your info and what we read from the AAFA in Washington, you are a lifesaver.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: