FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

For Anyone who wants to go to DC on Jan 14 for Hearing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pamela

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: For Anyone who wants to go to DC on Jan 14 for Hearing Reply with quote

posted on Rick Woldenberg's blog today, last paragraph of post:

Open Forum Jan 14 House Small Business Committee, DC On Wednesday January 14, the US House Small Business Committee will hold an open forum on 'the state of the small business economy and identifying policies to promote an economic recovery.' Homecrafters and microbusinesses manufacturing children's goods believe this may be their last opportunity to air their views to their government representatives personally , The hearing starts from 10am in the Hearing Room at 2360 Rayburn House Office at telephone (202) 225-4038 and fax: (202) 226-5276.

Pam
jen m

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was actually thinking about it. I was wondering if it would be worth it and if it would actually be open for all to make comments, etc. If so I am up for the trip.
Melanie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:09 pm    Post subject: For Anyone who wants to go to DC on Jan 14 for Hearing Reply with quote

You know...it would be wonderful, if we could spread the word about this and see how many crafters, and small business people we could get there...how do we find out how open this meeting is? I don't want to book a flight and then find out I can't attend. But I would consider doing this (and I'm in Oklahoma and will be laid off soon! but I think it's important enough and I was going to be ramping up my sideline crafts business to help compensate for my other job loss)
I'll check my finances, if someone can let us know if this is really open to small business people and crafters.
Melanie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: For Anyone who wants to go to DC on Jan 14 for Hearing Reply with quote

Melanie wrote:
You know...it would be wonderful, if we could spread the word about this and see how many crafters, and small business people we could get there...how do we find out how open this meeting is? I don't want to book a flight and then find out I can't attend. But I would consider doing this (and I'm in Oklahoma and will be laid off soon! but I think it's important enough and I was going to be ramping up my sideline crafts business to help compensate for my other job loss)
I'll check my finances, if someone can let us know if this is really open to small business people and crafters.

OK...I'm replying to my own post here, but I called the number listed in the first post, and have left a voicemail with Tim Slattery, who is counsel for the committee. If you want to testify, you have to speak with him. Once I find out what the requirements are to give testimony, I will post them here. The public is free to attend the meeting, but if you actually want the opportunity to have your views heard, you have to go through Mr. Slattery. Will keep everyone updated.
Aria

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in California. If I could afford to be there, I would, and I'm not known for being subtle with my thoughts. Can the number be called to give them a piece of my mind, or is that to call and listen in on what's happening?
Heather Flottmann

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Small Business meeting on 14th Reply with quote

I just called the number and confirmed that the meeting is open to the public.

However, it has already been scheduled as to what individuals will be speaking. Those people have already been selected.

The woman I spoke with, Darienne Gutierrez, was very helpful and did offer another option.

She told me, as a small business owner, I could email my testimony to go on record. This could be emailed up to 7 days after the meeting although obviously prior to and sooner is better.

Her email was:
darienne.gutierrez@mail.house.gov
Pamela

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Heather for providing this information. This is something everyone should do. Below is the testimonial I wrote and sent in.

-------
I am writing to tell you that as a small business owner who manufactures our own line of little girls clothing the new CPSIA law will most likely put us out of business due to not the intention behind the law, but due to the testing methods being required after August 15 2009.

Our products are all 100% cotton clothing which we have had tested with XRF testing and every single fabric, trim, and button has been tested and results have been 30ppm or less for every component tested. Documentation can be provided for this. XRF testing provides the necessary proof that there are low quantities of lead and offers a cost that is affordable to small businesses.

As it stands currently the CPSIA requires that by August of 2009 all items will need to be component tested by certified government labs. The cost quotes given to test in the manner laid out in the law will range from $500-$1000 per style just to find out that our items fall far below the lowest requirement of lead ppm. This type of testing will cause our company to go out of business.

Small business is the foundation of America. There are thousands and thousands of small businesses in the children industry ranging from work at home moms to small toy manufacturers and clothing manufacturers. The CPSIA was written with the intention to create safety for our children and this is of course desired. However, the CPSIA was written very generally with little thought as to how broad and encompassing the childrens industry is. The CPSIA has the potential to put out of business artists and entrepreneurs that care very much about childrens safety so it is for this reason the CPSIA must be rewritten so that small businesses, crafters, custom clothiers, handmade toy manufacturers, can comply with the law and also continue to offer goods to the United States marketplace that are safe.

Pam McKinnis
PammyJ Fashions
http://www.pammyjfashions.com
Tina HD

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a list of the members:

Democratic Members

Chairwoman Nydia Velázquez of New York
Congressman Heath Shuler of North Carolina
Congressman Charlie Gonzalez of Texas
Congressman Rick Larsen of Washington
Congressman Raúl Grijalva of Arizona
Congressman Mike Michaud of Maine
Congresswoman Melissa Bean of Illinois
Congressman Henry Cuellar of Texas
Congressman Daniel Lipinski of Illinois
Congresswoman Gwen Moore of Wisconsin
Congressman Jason Altmire of Pennsylvania
Congressman Bruce Braley of Iowa
Congresswoman Yvette Clarke of New York
Congressman Brad Ellsworth of Indiana
Congressman Hank Johnson of Georgia
Congressman Joe Sestak of Pennsylvania
Congressman Brian Higgins of New York
Congresswoman Mazie Hirono of Hawaii

Republican Members

Ranking Member Steve Chabot of Ohio
Congressman Roscoe Bartlett of Maryland
Congressman Sam Graves of Missouri
Congressman Todd Akin of Missouri
Congressman Bill Shuster of Pennsylvania
Congresswoman Marilyn Musgrave of Colorado
Congressman Steve King of Iowa
Congressman Jeff Fortenberry of Nebraska
Congressman Lynn Westmoreland of Georgia
Congressman Louie Gohmert of Texas
Congressman David Davis of Tennessee
Congresswoman Mary Fallin of Oklahoma
Congressman Vern Buchanan of Florida

The link to the member list is http://www.house.gov/smbiz/democrats/members.htm, and there are links to all the members there.

I called Rep Todd Akin's office and the woman I spoke to was very knowledgeable about the issue--seems they've gotten lots of calls. She said Todd agrees that this is a HUGE issue for small business and plans to bring it up at the meeting.`

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a list of the members:

Democratic Members

Chairwoman Nydia Velázquez of New York
Congressman Heath Shuler of North Carolina
Congressman Charlie Gonzalez of Texas
Congressman Rick Larsen of Washington
Congressman Raúl Grijalva of Arizona
Congressman Mike Michaud of Maine
Congresswoman Melissa Bean of Illinois
Congressman Henry Cuellar of Texas
Congressman Daniel Lipinski of Illinois
Congresswoman Gwen Moore of Wisconsin
Congressman Jason Altmire of Pennsylvania
Congressman Bruce Braley of Iowa
Congresswoman Yvette Clarke of New York
Congressman Brad Ellsworth of Indiana
Congressman Hank Johnson of Georgia
Congressman Joe Sestak of Pennsylvania
Congressman Brian Higgins of New York
Congresswoman Mazie Hirono of Hawaii

Republican Members

Ranking Member Steve Chabot of Ohio
Congressman Roscoe Bartlett of Maryland
Congressman Sam Graves of Missouri
Congressman Todd Akin of Missouri
Congressman Bill Shuster of Pennsylvania
Congresswoman Marilyn Musgrave of Colorado
Congressman Steve King of Iowa
Congressman Jeff Fortenberry of Nebraska
Congressman Lynn Westmoreland of Georgia
Congressman Louie Gohmert of Texas
Congressman David Davis of Tennessee
Congresswoman Mary Fallin of Oklahoma
Congressman Vern Buchanan of Florida

The link to the member list is http://www.house.gov/smbiz/democrats/members.htm, and there are links to all the members there.

I called Rep Todd Akin's office and the woman I spoke to was very knowledgeable about the issue--seems they've gotten lots of calls. She said Todd agrees that this is a HUGE issue for small business and plans to bring it up at the meeting.
Bets

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:47 am    Post subject: UPDATE Reply with quote

Has there been an update on the meeting of 1-14?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: