FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Activism CPSIA: MEDIA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Melanie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject: Activism CPSIA: MEDIA Reply with quote

Geez! Talk about misinformation! I heard she has offered her resignation...she should have been fired!
The "mommyblogs" as she puts it, know far more about this law than she does!
And I agree...think she smoked some of the plant next to her before she started the interview!
If anyone has the opportunity to do further media interviews, they should point to this and show that's part of our problem...the CPSC itself is not putting out reliable, concise information. And our congressmen don't have a clue either...
Did you also notice at the beginning of the interview how she talked about the new law really defined what and how they can enforce? They've been given a power, and I don't think they'll give it back very easily...and right now, that power rests with 2 people...
this was amazing in how wrong it was! Thanks for posting...don't think I would have believed it if I hadn't seen it for myself!
Guess I can just start "looking at" my children's products to determine if they have lead? (obviously a sarcastic comment here)
J C Sprowls

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does she realize that 98% of the world has a different definition of the word reseller (i.e. flipper, affiliate, etc.)?

And that 2nd hand goods, used goods and off-price goods are sold by either for-profit or non-profit retailers.

I'm beyond fried on this topic. I applaud everyone who has the tenacity to hang in there. It was all I could do to get my designers to make a decision and to write a letter (which I haven't mailed yet) to the CO Attorney General.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out where she ended up:

"Julie Vallese, who until recently led communications for the Consumer Product Safety Commission, has joined Burson-Marsteller's Issues and Crisis Group as a Managing Director. She will lead the Group's newly formed Product Integrity Practice."

wonder how much she's getting paid for this gig???
Sue T.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
wonder how much she's getting paid for this gig???

A lot more than she got paid while in the Government, you can be sure of that.
Melissa McKeagney

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was on the radio yesterday, my local NPR station (NHPR) on its locally produced "word of mouth." I recommended Alana Samuels from the LA Times, and they took me up on it. Here is the link:

http://www.nhpr.org/node/20476
Melanie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: activism CPSIA: MEDIA Reply with quote

Just wanted to let everyone know that Tulsa is going to be getting the message...
Yesterday I was interviewed over the phone by the Tulsa World...haven't heard when they'll publish yet. And today, Fox23(KOKI) came out and shot a story that will air today at 5pm...
Having worked in the broadcast industry, I'm always kind of leary of press, just because I know it's all in how you edit it...but I kept hitting on the facts of the law, and the effects on the economy, for businesses and consumers...and that some reasonably changes need to be made to this law. So hopefully they'll get the story out the way I intended...I also gave them a flyer I printed with links, and one was to this forum, so am hoping they'll put that on their website too...I'll post the newspaper and story links once they come out...
Everyone keep making noise and keeping contacting your local businesses and media...The Tulsa World found me because of some of my online postings in forums!
Dianne

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this link has been posted yet or not:

http://www.forbes.com/2009/01/16/cpsia-safety-toys-oped-cx_wo_0116olson.html

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: activism CPSIA: MEDIA Reply with quote

Melanie wrote:
Yesterday I was interviewed over the phone by the Tulsa World...haven't heard when they'll publish yet. And today, Fox23(KOKI) came out and shot a story that will air today at 5pm...

http://www.fox23.com/mediacenter/local.aspx?videoId=36656@video.fox23.com&navCatId=5
Melanie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Activism CPSIA: MEDIA Reply with quote

to the guest who posted the Fox23 story, thanks! I was out of town this weekend...
However, I will go on record here and say I'm not too happy with the angle they took...they still didn't tell the big picture storye...I'm contacting them again, and urging them to maybe make that one in a series of stories, and focus on other types of businesses that will also be affected by this law...maybe through the series, then the public will see the broader implications, instead of just poor little Melanie can't sell her items! that was NOT my intention here.
Still waiting for the newspaper piece...I"m hoping they do the big picture, but we'll see. That is the frustrating part...you tell people, or the media about the whole problem, and they only pick up on part of it! Am I speaking in plain English or what? But I'm going to keep trying...I'll be on the streets on my community next week passing out flyers to businesses, and the library...I'm sure most of them will look at me like I'm crazy, but am going to do it anyway...
happymom4

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is, unless you have immersed yourself in it, it DOES sound totally crazy! It's so "un-American" way of life as to be almost unbelievable. I've gotten the "you must be exaggerating!" thing at first too--I was blown off and ignored at alot at first.
Some farker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: On fark again Reply with quote

FYI another story about this has been picked up on Fark.com again. The forum for comments is here:
http://forums.fark.com/cgi/fark/comments.pl?IDLink=4152200
happymom4

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now on Xanga. . . .

http://www.momaroo.com/momaroo/689838327/new-law-will-ban-children-from-libraries-starting-feb-10-2009/

Unfortunately, some commenters either don't believe it, or are reading some of the faulty and confusing news articles and so blowing it off.
Bets

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:06 am    Post subject: HALTING REGULATIONS Reply with quote

What will that mean for us?? If the president halts all regulations til they can be corrected, what do we do? Do we move forward or take a wait and see approach? I am at loss as to what this means for me as a producer. Any clarifications??
Thanks so much,
Bets
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lighthouse treasure trove wrote:
http://rate.forbes.com/comments/CommentServlet?op=cpage&sourcename=story&StoryURI=2009/01/16/cpsia-safety-toys-oped-cx_wo_0116olson.html
I apologize if someone posted this already or if there is a better place to put it. I tried to find that place.

This article sums up all the problems very well.
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloomberg News covered the story again today. We got a mention and there was even a quote from Bethany!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: