FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CPSIA and Cultural Genocide!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: CPSIA and Cultural Genocide! Reply with quote

I tell you, the CPSIA is the gift that just keeps on giving. Thanks Congress! Here's a letter from Janet Littlecrow (a member), also cross posted to National Bankruptcy Day:
Janet Littlecrow wrote:
The new law will cut our business in half, because there is no way that we can afford to test one-of-a-kind outfits. We’ll be totally knocked out of the kids dance clothing business, except for Canadian orders. It’s the death of our dreams too, cultural genocide for us.

These recently completed and sold outfits will be illegal for us to sell next month, so we’re trying to finish and sell all of our children’s inventory by Feb 10. The loss of children’s business will probably bankrupt us. Business is way down, except that people have been ordering dance clothes for their children and grandchildren. Dance regalia isn’t a necessity per se, but it’s almost a necessity among many families for their children. I’ve been working at this business for six years, and can’t even go back to my computer career again.

It’s cultural genocide for us too. We won’t be able to support our native cultures by getting children dancing in the powwow arena. We won’t be able to make dance outfits for any more children’s Native American dance troupes, or foundations, or Indian student groups or school Johnson-Omalley programs. We won’t be able to dress younger girls who are school princesses either, we’ll have to check ages of customers. It’s a major blow for us, and I can’t see any way around it. It’s probably the death of our business. It’s certainly the death of our dreams. We can’t dress children for our culture any more. The government wins another round of forced assimilation.

Janet Littlecrow
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: