FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS)

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:31 pm    Post subject: Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) Reply with quote

I've heard alot of crafters chatting about getting these MSDS sheets from their suppliers. It is my understanding that these don't have anything to do with compliance of the law. Can someone give more info about whether they would be sufficient towards producing GCC's?

It seems that this is the new wave of misunderstanding hitting the handmade community.
Guest 2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
I've heard alot of crafters chatting about getting these MSDS sheets from their suppliers. It is my understanding that these don't have anything to do with compliance of the law. Can someone give more info about whether they would be sufficient towards producing GCC's?

It seems that this is the new wave of misunderstanding hitting the handmade community.

This concerns me, too. There is actually a ribbon website that claims to have MSDS sheets from all of their mfgrs. The site actually states that if you use their components you will not have to test your products. If that's true then wonderful !! If it is not true then a lot of people are going to be misled.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told by MS Mary Toro (in the compliance part of CPSC) that to get you until August you can use the MSDS sheets from suppliers and if you cannot get them, you can do XRF testing. This only gets you until August she said. It is a "reasonable" test result. Again, I am not a lawyer but was told this by direct telephone contact with Mary Toro.
J C Sprowls

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There is actually a ribbon website that claims to have MSDS sheets from all of their mfgrs

Pony up the URL, please.
Guest 2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J C Sprowls wrote:
Quote:
There is actually a ribbon website that claims to have MSDS sheets from all of their mfgrs

Pony up the URL, please.

I want it understood that I am NOT... nor will I ever.... attempt to police other websites for compliance. I mind my own business and that is a full time job! Trust me! :}

I am sharing the url only because if it's true then some of us will be able to breathe again until August. I WANT this to be true!

The url is http://www.theribboncarnival.com/

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Carla Smith
Picture Perfect Hair Bows
www.pictureperfecthairbows.com
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense to anyone but I'm locking this thread for now. The official response from the CPSC is that we CANNOT use MSDS or anything else from our vendors to certify products with GCCs. That is the law as it stands now regardless of hearsay or whatever a vendor's website claims. Sure they want you to believe it, why would they want to reduce sales?

The official CPSC position is that the process of creating products introduces contaminants. Iow, while your inputs may comply, neither your vendor nor the CPSC can assume you haven't done something with those items to introduce contaminants.

Officially, the law says you cannot use MSDS or anything else from your vendors to certify your products. I will reopen this thread should the situation change.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: