FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GUEST BIOS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sarah R

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Hi Reply with quote

Mostly just reading but thought I'd post a quick intro. I'm Sarah Reid, I own Wallypop: Supporting a Natural Lifestyle as well as Boulevard Designs. Boulevard Designs is kind of my "for fun, I wanted to sew something else for a change, let's hope someone wants to buy it" business and, as such, is not really a "business" in the real sense of the word. It will be affected by the CPSIA, but I'm not too concerned about it. I'll just pull the affected items and give them away to friends and stop making them.

Wallypop is my bread and butter. Cloth diapers, baby carriers, related accessories, as well as an assortment of Natural Living products, largely added at customer request. This is the one that has me worried, particularly as I've been closed for about three months while I gave myself a break to have a baby. I wanted to reopen in january with plenty of inventory, both fabric and products, and therein lies my problem: all this inventory.

Anyway, I'm learning a lot. I've been a blog reader for quite some time, and appreciate opening up this part of the forum. I'm considering joining, though I've never considered it before because I'm not an apparel manufacturer.
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Sarah! And other Sarah too (wacky hermit)

Don't let the name fool you. We do sewn products. All of the biggest names in baby slings and diapers are members here.
Turtle Park Tots

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Introduction -- Hi Everyone Reply with quote

Hi,

My name is Jennifer and I am the proud owner of Turtle Park Tots. I am a WAHM making baby blankets, bibs and changing pads using both organic and non organic fabrics. I sell retail on turtleparktots.etsy.com and wholesale to boutiques around the world. I make everything myself and make most things on order.

I will forced out of business if the CPSIA is not amended. I will not be able to afford the costs of the redundant testing required in the law...particular in the case of my bibs which under the law must be tested for phthalates.

I am also incredibly sad to lose the wonderful toys made by small toy makes that I've come to rely on. They can regulate Mattel until the cows come home and I'll never trust them to have my child's best interest first and foremost.

I look forward to working with everyone here to fix this law of unintended consequences!

turtleparktots.blogspot.com
www.trunkt.org/turtleparktots
twitter.com/turtleparktots
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jennifer, welcome! I think I've seen you on twitter.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
My name is Izabela, I make diapers (www.bum-ware.com)
I am currently a lurker Smile

Kathleen, I bought your book a long while ago, it was a great read!
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Izabela! Then you should register. A receipt gets you in. While useful, this section of the forum pales in comparison to the rest of it.
my2littlewonders

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Everyone, my name is Meg and I am a SAHM to three. I became aware of this issue as I am on another board for boutique children's clothing. We (the people on this board) also buy a lot home made products from sewers on Etsy, and support custom made clothing on ebay for children.

I have been in the process of purchasing a Consignment store for Children, featuring high end children's boutique clothing. However, I am worried what this new law will do for used children's clothing since it is retroactive and it horrifies me to think of such beautiful things going to waste just because they may or may not pass testing.

I have thus far emailed my congressman, and plan on speaking to his office on Monday. I really hope the outcry can reach some important ears, and save small businesses/craftspeople that are true American entrepreneurs.
Erin Blanton

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

My name is Erin Blanton. I am the co-owner of Pufferbellies Toys & Books, a small store in downtown Staunton, VA. I'm not part of the apparel industry, but this seems to be the best place I've found on the web for discussion of the CPSIA and how it will impact the sale of children's products. Thanks for allowing guests to participate!
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Erin and Meg! Glad to have you.
Paula

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Hi Reply with quote

I'm Paula and I make corn husk art dolls that aren't really intended for children. I have heard that this testing will affect me, too. I thought that if I stated that they were not for children 12 and under, I'd be OK. However, I have heard that any "doll" will be considered a toy. I can't afford the cost of testing and I really don't know what I'll do.

prkc.etsy.com
tashabelleame

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi my name is Tasha. I am the owner of Belle Ame Pettiskirts. I am not a member of fashion-incubator but I am here to do everything i can about the CPSIA laws and to learn everything that I can. I am keeping my fingers crossed that something is done before Aug 2009.
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi Reply with quote

Paula wrote:
I'm Paula and I make corn husk art dolls that aren't really intended for children. However, I have heard that any "doll" will be considered a toy.

Is this true? This is getting ridiculous. I know plenty of dolls that aren't toys and are not intended to be handled -even by an adult. Some dolls are pieces of art, really, costing hundreds of dollars or more.

Btw, welcome Paula and Tasha, glad you're here. If you can find the time, I'd appreciate it if you could take the CPSIA Economic Impact Survey to help save your small business and others.
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dianne wrote:
I am so glad I found this forum and was delighted to realize that it was open to guests. I have already posted a question about how this law might affect rentals of children's products. I have been renting CARES child airplane restraints (by Kids Fly Safe) on eBay for about two years now.

I also regularly shop at many local consignment stores and would hate to think of losing these wonderful stores.

Thanks,
Dianne
eBay ID: m_and_d_in_fl
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Dianne!
Melanie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Guest Bios Reply with quote

I have a small crafts business on the side (while also working full time). I use a lot of fabric in my crafts, including children's fabric...I have also added embroidery crafts, and had planned to do youth
t-shirts as well as teddy bears, dressed with cheerleader outfits or little t-shirts. I had already purchased several supplies for this endeavor...Now I either have to destroy this merchandise...or sell anyway and risk getting caught. I would prefer that we are successful in our efforts to have Congress review this law and make amendments to it...I believe it was well intentioned, but very poorly written and will be enforced in a way that was not intended (hence the retroactive ruling after the fact). This forum is a GREAT source of info! Keep it up!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: