FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can we talk about the labeling requirements?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Generations Tie Dye

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:08 am    Post subject: %$^&# Garment Labels Reply with quote

I'm almost in tears over this particular requirement of the CPSIA. I tie-dye clothes. Unless I do something special like tie two together to make "twin shirts" or two scarves together for similar effects, EVERYTHING I do is one of a kind.

I already figure I have a nightmare on my hands since much of the stuff I've dyed or have yet to dye has come from Goodwill - so much for trying to re-purpose and recycle Confused - and won't even be able to unload my undyed blanks, but the idea of having to make NEW content and care labels which would pretty much duplicate whatever labels the clothes already come with - and a different label for each thing I dye - and somehow getting it on everything I dye and sell, including the bits and pieces of layette sets Shocked - is almost more overwhelming to me than the testing thing.

So this is definitely something I'm trying hard to follow through the tears and headaches I already have over this [insert expletive of choice here] law. Insane. Crying or Very sad

Deb
Generations Tie Dye
http://www.generationstiedye.etsy.com
Vesta G

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deb, I don't think the tracking issue is your biggest problem. Since you're repurposing items, you really can just use a sharpie to write a date code on the back of one of the care labels already sewn in. I know it's not uber-professional, but most people won't ever see it. Then you can keep a log of each item (where it came from, how you processed it, etc) linked to the date code. XL sheet, database, heck, even a paper log book. Whatever works for you.

I would think your biggest problem will be certifying that your blanks are lead (and phthalate, if you're making layettes) free. Wow. I have no good suggestion for you.

But don't fret over the labeling requirement. You have much bigger problems.

(oops, that was me, Vesta)
Generations Tie Dye

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response. I know there are bigger problems than the labelling, but even if the CPSC decides that cotton is inherently lead-free and doesn't need testing, this is one more thing I'll still be expected to do that frankly I don't wanna. Confused Even keeping track in a notebook is going to take as much time overall as it'd take to dye a garment, and since I'm a homeschooling mom I already have a full plate and am stretched about as thin as I can without something falling by the wayside.

Wonder how I'd prove that a garment is actually cotton if I get them in batches (diaper cloths, for example, don't generally come with fabric labelling like tees or onesies do, for example)?

I guess I have till August to work it out or go with local craft shows and gifts only or end up donating all my stuff to local charities - not that I begrudge the charities, mind you, but if I paid for the garments with the intent of making some grocery money from their eventual sale, well.....

*sighs and heads off to bed, better to face another day Smile*
missimitch

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this is a dumb question, but I make hairbows. How do I label one of these?
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generations Tie Dye wrote:
but even if the CPSC decides that cotton is inherently lead-free and doesn't need testing,

You'd still have to test because you wouldn't be using the fabric as is but adding dyes.

Quote:
I guess I have till August to work it out

You have until February 9th. From February to August, you must test but you can use XRF.

Quote:
or go with local craft shows and gifts only or end up donating all my stuff to local charities

You're not allowed to sell period, not in craft and gift shows or any other way. Still worse, you can't even give it away. The crime is distribution regardless of whether you get money out of the deal.

missimitch wrote:
Maybe this is a dumb question, but I make hairbows. How do I label one of these?

Your guess is likely to be better than ours. Sorry. Join the club of mass confusion run amok.
momto4

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I make bows too. I talked with Mary Toro at the CPSC the other day and SHE didn't even have an answer to that one! Told me to "email the commission and ask" yeah right, haven't heard anything back. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kathleen F. wrote:
Generations Tie Dye wrote:
but even if the CPSC decides that cotton is inherently lead-free and doesn't need testing,

You'd still have to test because you wouldn't be using the fabric as is but adding dyes.

Ah, good point. Confused But - even if the CPSC decides that not only is cotton lead-free AND that I can use the product information from the dye manufacturers that says the dye is too (which it is, according to their current product info) - even then the labelling is going to drive me batty.

Thanks also for the info about the XRF testing; some of the stuff I'm reading elsewhere isn't clear on that, so by now I think I've read 5 different versions of deadlines for all this stuff.

Might be fun to stop by my local clothing donation sites where clothes are given free to families in need and see if the CPSC is standing watch there when I have to drop off all my unsold inventory..... Razz (Yes, I"m feeling kind of "Nanny Nanny Boo Boo" at the moment. Twisted Evil )
Kathleen F.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Might be fun to stop by my local clothing donation sites where clothes are given free to families in need and see if the CPSC is standing watch there when I have to drop off all my unsold inventory..... Razz

Unfortunately, you aren't even allowed to GIVE it away. It must be destroyed.
Jean J.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And do I understand correctly that we would need to amend the labels we put inside our onesies/tees to include dates or numbers for tracking?

What a mess. I think I'll be getting out of the baby & child business!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jean, you'll have to test each batch. As long as you don't make a variety and make them all exactly the same, you only have to test one.

Why use a RN instead of company label?
Lisa Bloodgood

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found some cloth napkins from WalMart that say marketed by them and made in India but no RN on the label. And it only says marketed by them not the company per se.

I can't remember the page but it's Threading your way through the Labeling requirements under the Textiles and Wool Acts page and it has the requirements for what is supposed to be on the labels on clothing and other textile items. From what I remember you can have either company or RN but you don't have to have both. I could be blatantly wrong, though.

Oh, here's a PDF of it: http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/business/textile/bus21.pdf
J C Sprowls

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are only required to use the RN number on the care/content/origin (CCO) label of products made with certain materials (e.g. wool). It's generally a good idea to use it on the CCO label all the time. In light of the CPSIA, RN and other identifying information must appear on the CCO label, all the time.

RN is never a substitute for a brand label.
LeAnn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:29 am    Post subject: RN# Reply with quote

Just for the heck of it, I applied on-line for an RN #. I got an email saying I was issued an RN# for baby carrier.

LeAnn
LeAnn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just responding to an earlier entry from Vesta regarding that they wouldn't issue an RN# for a baby carrier. I applied online and somehow they gave it to me. Just wanted to share in case someone else wanted to try it.

LeAnn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I applied for an RN# for baby carriers and was denied because my product was not within the scope of the RN # system. Love the consistency and common sense surrounding all this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fashion-Incubator User Forum Forum Index -> CPSIA & Consumer Safety All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: